3.0TDI 272 fuel consumption comparison

RobbieWebs

Reaction score
Hi as the title states I'm wondering how any others are getting on with the 3.0tdi 272 on diesel?
Out the road on spiritive drives I'm getting late 30,s which is great.
In the town I'm getting 20 if I'm lucky.
It's a hungry bastid in the town and eats diesel.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much coming from 3x 2.0tdis.
Also is there any way to check when adblue is needed to be added or is it wait until it pops up on the Dis?

Thanks

Robbie

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi as the title states I'm wondering how any others are getting on with the 3.0tdi 272 on diesel?
Also is there any way to check when adblue is needed to be added or is it wait until it pops up on the Dis?

Thanks

Robbie

Sheesh, that’s not a lot better than my S4. I get about 18 around town and high 30’s to low 40’s on cruise at 75mph on the motorway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Sheesh, that’s not a lot better than my S4. I get about 18 around town and high 30’s to low 40’s on cruise at 75mph on the motorway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly mate. The reason I never went for an s4 was the fuel economy.
Starting to think I should have went for a petrol

I’ve got the 190ps diesel so not relevant per say. I find the same in town it’s not happy. Have seen a noticeable drop in mpg in my first cold season with Audi. They don’t like the cold at all.

I’ve got the 190ps diesel so not relevant per say. I find the same in town it’s not happy. Have seen a noticeable drop in mpg in my first cold season with Audi. They don’t like the cold at all.
Funny you should say that but mine seems a lot hungrier this past month.
I was guessing using more fuel due to a cold start up.
I know the fuel counter on the dash isn't accurate but it's pretty hard to ignore when it drops 10 miles in a short journey..

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Supplementary heating drinks the fuel a bit, you should be able to turn it off in the "Car" menu.

Mine is ok, most of my miles are done traveling to work on the motorway. I normally sit between 75-85 mph, I roughly do 500 miles a week and I rarely sit in traffic.
549fa580384b12864d961fad5002f6b4.jpg
95efdb481eb98a18ebaf4856d7df1af0.jpg
b49676839c0e0ff4c27518d775313912.jpg

Thanks

Robbie

Blimey I get at least 30 mpg from mine urban and 45+ on a good run...

Just under 20k in mine, it's got 27k on the clock now, I bought with 7k on the clock.
I've run the 'Road Trip' app on my iPhone since buying it and to date the average is 47.7 mpg, but that's mostly solo motorway mileage of journeys around 100 miles.
Best on the car computer was a tad over 64 mpg, but that was on the M6 (Birmingham to Manchester) lots of roadworks and a steady slow pace due to traffic. Car computer is a few mpg more optimistic than reality. Three up going to this years Le Mans Classic averaged 43 mpg.
What I do find is that anything under 30 miles and the mpg is not good, as everything takes a good while to warm through, after that you can see the mpg increasing steadily.
Diesels are designed for higher mileages, oooh and the torque wave :thumbs up:.

Ad Blue level can be checked with the OBDeleven and an android device, so far I've put in 2x 10 lts

Supplementary heating drinks the fuel a bit, you should be able to turn it off in the "Car" menu.
Funny you should mention that as the car gets up to temperature a lot quicker than my B8.5. Il try turning it off.

Reactions: DaveW
Mine is ok, most of my miles are done traveling to work on the motorway. I normally sit between 75-85 mph, I roughly do 500 miles a week and I rarely sit in traffic.
549fa580384b12864d961fad5002f6b4.jpg
95efdb481eb98a18ebaf4856d7df1af0.jpg
b49676839c0e0ff4c27518d775313912.jpg
I had a 200 mile run today that showed 200 miles in the Dis when I was done. Best I got was 39mpg. That was in auto mode sitting at 75 with a few blips for overtaking.
Seems your fuel economy is good

Just under 20k in mine, it's got 27k on the clock now, I bought with 7k on the clock.
I've run the 'Road Trip' app on my iPhone since buying it and to date the average is 47.7 mpg, but that's mostly solo motorway mileage of journeys around 100 miles.
Best on the car computer was a tad over 64 mpg, but that was on the M6 (Birmingham to Manchester) lots of roadworks and a steady slow pace due to traffic. Car computer is a few mpg more optimistic than reality. Three up going to this years Le Mans Classic averaged 43 mpg.
What I do find is that anything under 30 miles and the mpg is not good, as everything takes a good while to warm through, after that you can see the mpg increasing steadily.
Diesels are designed for higher mileages, oooh and the torque wave :thumbs up:.

I found that today that after 20-30 miles the usage was about right instead of it being erratic.
Is that in efficiency mode or auto?

Ad Blue level can be checked with the OBDeleven and an android device, so far I've put in 2x 10 lts
I haven't purchased that yet.
I have hex can vcds, I wonder if that would work ..

On the motorway mostly on D-Eco, with the odd swipe to S.
Hex can vcds should work I guess, but I haven't tried it, should be reading the same registers so I can't see why not.

I got 54mpg on the way to Birmingham from London last month.

A 2 hour motorway journey on average I'll get about 47mpg but if it's any shorter it will be from the low to mid 40s.

In town it's low to mid 30s at best or even mid 20s if it's a very short journey.

Got the same 272 as you except got a tdi tuning box, tcu tune and pedal box so I'm happy with the economy imho

The 272 is only worth getting though if you do enough motorway miles ( the engine definently doesn't feel happy doing city runs)

Is the supplementary heating ONLY turned on if you use the AC? Or how does it work on the b9?

edit: I see it now. If I turn off Auto supplementary heating on the MMI how would I turn it on manually?
89068c824bae8f0f5b31c0468320c706.jpg

Last edited:
Is the supplementary heating ONLY turned on if you use the AC? Or how does it work on the b9?

edit: I see it now. If I turn off Auto supplementary heating on the MMI how would I turn it on manually?
89068c824bae8f0f5b31c0468320c706.jpg
I don't think you can operate it manually, it basically burns more fuel to heat the car quicker, when the outside temperature is below a specified level (which I can't remember)

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I think it’s a supplementary electric heater that provides heat into the cabin until the engine coolant system gets hot enough to provide heat.

I have it on my car and it starts to provide warm air after a few hundred meters of driving:

It is a electric ceramic in line heater, something Ford has done for quite sometime as my 2008 Mondeo had one, it is there to help not only the cabin to warm up but the engine as well. With a diesel I would leave it on. Also called a PDC heater.

Reactions: DaveW