1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 v6 tdi engine removal

Greengrass Sep 9, 2018

1. Greengrass

Greengrass New Member

Hi i've got an 07 3.0 tdi avant manual box, 140k on the clock. she's always had a chain rattle on start up but with this milage on it and i'm fairly sure its getting sligtly worse so i'm going to drop the engine out and replace the chains and tensioners and probably a few other things along the way.
    Basically i'm after some advice on the best way to get it out i've got a 4 post ramp but can't see the subframe coming down between the sides? any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Paul battams

Paul battams Member

Chains can be done with engine in do the top tensioners from the top it’s tight but can be done then do rest from bottom drop gearbox unbolt and lift turbo to get to top bolts then remove end cover about 36 bolts hey presto they all sit looking at you
    I personally don’t like 4 post ramps very restricted all depends what else you want to do to car good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul battams

Paul battams Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Greengrass

Greengrass New Member

Hi cheers for the reply yeah know what your saying about the ramps.if the box comes out how much extra work is it to take the engine out ? i'm an agricultural mechanic so cars are a bit awkward for me the only other thing i know of is the lh bank of swirl flaps has disconnected so was tempted to take them out and blank the cross ports off.

6. Paul battams

Paul battams Member

I’ve never taken a V6 out always left them in situ but taken a couple of V8 4.2 out to do chains I just normally remove complete front end I don’t put the long bolts in you only gain 50-60mm but ye I can get a gearbox out in roughly 2 hrs then engine would be possibly another 6 hrs just be getting wiring loom all sorted and out of way as it comes over top of engine.
    Let us know how you get on as mines coming out next year for overhaul
    Good luck

7. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

It's easier to whip the bumper off & the front slam panel, pull the engine out the front & do all the work on the bench.

8. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

I took the whole power train out to do this, it’s quite simple, support the engine and trans on a pallet truck, remove all connections to chassis (cooling, rads, fuel, harness etc.).

Unbolt the 12 subframe bolts and if your on a ramp lift the car up out the way.

It is much easier if you remove the front suspension as well, gives more access to wiggle it out, it’s really tight in there but it 100% comes out the bottom.

I have a timing kit if you need it, it is now surplus to requirements after I did mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. piglet14

piglet14 Finally got my midlife crisis car

I just swapped both my inlet manifolds for recons from Poland.
    About £100/side, bit fiddly but not hard.