3.0 v6 oil leak help?

shash_128

Reaction score
Hi I have an oil leak which looks like it's coming from that metal pipe which has a big rubber pipe in the middle of it.

Does it need replacing? What part is it? Has the rubber pipe simply slipped out of place?

I have a 2001 Audi A4 b6 3.0L v6 petrol..

Please help

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    704.3 KB · Views: 381
Just had a look online and that pipe comes from your power steering pump so it could quit possibly be the cause of your leak. I found a picture of another one and it looks like the pipe is further up than yours. So yours does look like its slipped. Being a steering hose I wouldn't try messing with it, I'd look to get a replacement one.

aa8b4dd037a89e7896cb4367e940a647.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: shash_128
Just had a look on google pictures of the same engine and it does appear that the rubber pipe on mine has slipped quite a bit. I'll try to push it back into place and secure it with some cable ties..

Thanks for your help

No problem. The only problem you may have is that the power steering has a high pressure side (to the rack) and low pressure (return from the rack) side if it's the high pressure side a zip tie most probably won't help.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a dumb thing to say but I've got an 'engine oil' leak and always topping up the engine oil and if that high pressure power steering hose is leaking, wouldn't it leak power steering fluid and not engine oil?
So then the engine oil leak is coming from somewhere else?

You are right a power steering leak wouldn't effect your engine oil. Are you sure the leak is from that pipe or could it be from the cam cover? I know on my S4 the cam covers are well known for leaking and I think the V6 has very similar cam covers to the V8.

I saw some oil on the underside of the rubber power steering pipe and assumed that's where the leak was coming from. Will take a closer look. Cheers