3.0 TDI whine

MarkW73

Reaction score
Somewhere in deepest darkest Hertfordshire...

Hi all, got what sounds like a supercharger under my bonnet. I thought it was the auxiliary belt initially but the sound seems to be coming from the rhs of the engine?

Has anyone else had this before? It doesn’t change if I put extra load on the alternator or if i’m Turning the steering?

Help please!

Cheers, Mark

Definitely sounds like the power steering pump. There is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir that gets blocked and stresses the pump which causes it to fail.

Have you also checked for an over tensioned HPFP belt or bad serpentine belt idlers?

Hi Oli, that’s what I thought initially but the sound seems not to be coming from front of the engine more round the side.

I’m guessing it’s a pig of a job to change?

Cheers

It’s not too bad, just fiddly to get to. It is under the LH side of the engine next to the AC pump.

Yep, they are both run by the serpentine belt. Bumper off, front end in service position. Wiggle, swear and try and remove!

To prove or disprove, you could just take the belt off and run it for a moment to see if the whining goes away. It is only ancillarys on that belt (alternator, AC, Power steering and water pump)