3.0 Tdi Tuning Chip

rowdyboy

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I have just bought a 2005 55reg 3.0 tdi A4 avant s-line, 204bhp. I was looking on ebay and came across a "chipexpress" plug in tuning chip. It claims to have advantages over a re-map with gains of approx 20% in BHP and torque. Has anyone tried or heard of these and are they any good. They are selling for about £400. Cheers

Hi mate, welcome to the forum!

If you're gonna spend around that amount of money you are best going for a proper remap. As far as I know the eBay chips aren't all they're made out to be. (I may be wrong though).

The best remaps around seem to be Revo or Bluefin by Superchips. The Bluefin is plug and play too.

Hope this helps.

It may be the same kind of thing, but what about a tuning box? From somewhere like Diesel Power Tuning - reports 245bhp for your engine, with the benefit that they are fully removable when you sell the car.

Lots of different manufacturers offer them for about £400 ish.

i have recently had my 1.9TDi remapped by a company called more-bhp in Cheshire and i have to say they did a fantastic job and it only cost £215, their website is www.more-bhp.com if you want a look, i would recommend them over a plug in box as i had one of these from Tdi-tuning (www.tdi-tuning.co.uk) and it kept bringing on the emissions warning light, as soon as i took the unit off the light went off.

I have since contacted TDI-tuning and the explanation was that the newer PD TDi engines are very sensitive to emissions changes, if i had bought the digital box instead of the analogue one it wouldnt have happened but as it was an extra £250 i thought better of it.

What i liked about the service from more bhp was that they have a software engineer that does the re-map by downloading your actual ecu software and changing it to suit your needs (rather than just uploading a standard map), the options were 'power' - 'balance of extra economy and power' - and 'economy', i went for the balanced one and the difference is amazing, still no black smoke and so much more torque in 3rd, 4th and 5th its unbelievable, a different car! Only took an hour and a half so would definitely recommend.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The bluefin sounds good, has anyone tried this system on the 3.0 Tdi engine. They post some bold claims on the website, just wondering if it was as good in "real life".
Cheers

My last car was bluefinned so I'll be getting the 3.0 done very soon.

Bargain price of just £220!

Can you let me know where its £220, the cheapest i have found is just under £400 for this engine. If i can get it for that price i will be more than happy.
Cheers

Thats from Superchips HQ in Buckingham. They are doing me a good price as I had my old A4 TDI 140 Bluefinned by them.

Has anyone had any troubles with there insurance after getting a Bluefin?
I’m really tempted, and Superchips are only just down the road from me so I could go and pick one up J. I must phone admiral this afternoon.

Well I phoned Admiral, they say the will nt insure any car that has an engin remap :sob:. So no Blue fin for me :crying: