3.0 tdi swirl flap linkage repair

kanecullen89

Reaction score
This is my second thread for the day.
Yesterday I had a bit of a car repair day where I replaced my indicator stalks (featured in other thread) and complete the swirl flap repair for my 3.0 tdi.

I was a little hesitant to complete this but I followed this guide for bank 1: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-tech/37906-how-3-0tdi-swirl.html#/enter

It's a good guide but 1 big issue I had was removing the metal clip from the ball joint on bank 1.
It would not budge in the slightest. I have to admit that I lost my patience a little and ended up snapping the ball joint off, leaving the shaft still inside the intake housing.
Oh f**k I thought.

Well it did at least allow more access to the metal clip, that was until the first loop of that clip snapped too.
I managed to use a flat head screwdriver to force out the shaft and managed to fit the new shaft and metal clip.
For me it was a huge pain in the backside!

Bank 2 was super easy, I just had to remove the turbo heatshield .

The error I got was intermittent but was bank 1 and on inspection of the parts that I removed, the ball joints were fine but the shaft had quite a bit of wear on both.
The new parts are slightly different and have obviously been revised to prevent some of the issues. The certainly feel a lot tighter when in place.

Any questions please ask.

Kane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiLeon and jdp1962
Nice work. I had the same problem on my B7 3.0TDi, but needed to get the experts to change the linkages. I also had the fault code mapped out.

I actually didn't replace the ball joints on my car as I could see that all the wear appeared to be in the cup of the rod.

I actually didn't replace the ball joints on my car as I could see that all the wear appeared to be in the cup of the rod.

If I'd have know how much trouble it was going to be I wouldn't have either! Good job I did though desertstorm, the ball joints on mine had no visible wear. The sockets for the ball joints had minor wear but the rectangular hole in the end of the shafts for both bank 1 and bank 2 had fairly heavy wear. My car has only done 65k. Hope it lasts a little longer with the new parts

Last week i removed flaps from a Q7 and noticed the plastic guides that are in the lower manifold had completely worn through by the swirl flap rod. I deleted them but it worth removing the lower manifold to check the condition.

The flaps were no longer running true causing added resistance on the motors.

always worth removing them for peace of mind if nothing else

What is involved with removing them? I'm guessing they will need to be mapped out?

Remove the lower manifolds
Remove the flaps
Cut the swirl flap road with a angle grinder
Remove the plastic bushes
Fit the plastic bushes into the manifold
Refit the O ring

And then ecu needs work.