3.0 TDI Quattro

So in my position(fault codes p1018 & p3135 showing when I read them but no eml light ever) would your advise be to just leave them as is or to go and attempt to fit swirl flap repair kit?

or something completely different?

All advise much appreciated? Cheers

I can't be certain, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I think this is one of those situations where doing nothing is unlikely to cause further harm. So until you get to the point where you have to fix it, you'll probably be ok to do nothing.

Thanks yea after a bit of reading thats my intention, just want to find somewhere that can do what i want in the one go, de cat, dpf removal, exhaust system then a remap to get it running as it should.

when it comes to mapping are there a lot of places that use off the shelf maps or are most cars mapped individually since every single engine is slightly different.

I've had experience of off the shelf maps and custom. If you are going for a decat, dpf and egr removal I think you would need to go down the custom route to get the best out of it. I will be going for the dpf and egr removal option as well but am unsure of a full decat. I understand a diesel should pass an mot without a cat but.......
A higher flow sport cat, maybe 100 cell, which would still let the turbo spool up quicker might be a good compromise along with a custom build. I was reasonably upto speed with scooby exhausts/turbos/maps but am still learning about tdis though.

When you say EGR removal do you mean disable? Or physically remove?

How i see it is the bloke seems to be an expert on every vehicle he works on, which as we all know you cannot know everything, plus some of the things ive seen him do, makes me think oh dear, i bet any mech watching the show is thinking exactly the same thing, in fact me old apprentice whos now 20 was telling me only the other day, you wont believe what that tosser edd did to a disco!
As for the terraclean ive never seen it used, but have to say on the trucks i work on injector failure is almost unheard of, i do know some of the smaller trucks do have starting problems and thats because an injector leaks thus not allowing the common rail to get up to engine staring pressure.
Im sure if it was as good as they say commercial operators would all be using it, because even if it only made 0.5 percent difference the miles trucks do it would soon pay for itself.
Old saying goes (if it seems to good to be true it usually is):blink:

lol guess a real mechanic watching edd is like me as a trucker watching stobarts, some of it is shameful

When you say EGR removal do you mean disable? Or physically remove?

Disable, initially I thought a blanking plate was required but it looks like it can just be mapped out now, check with the experts though

lol guess a real mechanic watching edd is like me as a trucker watching stobarts, some of it is shameful

Yes but as a trucker you know that each day is a different **** up, normally down to some office donk who hasnt got a clue what needs doing and why it needs doing, i dont think ive ever heard a driver say my office/boss are wonderfulf:keule:

Another question for anyone who can answer.

After having a discussion on another forum including the topics Audi, diesel and decat i was quickly shot down in flames by two folk strongly against anything Audi and anything diesel.
I was questioned on why id want a diesel V6 based on sound when i then posted a video of a 3.0 tdi decat milltek system posted by youtube user "truckerdel"

To which the reply was along the lines of thats only that noise because of decat etc and then went onto pass comment on how terrible diesel decats are and how people have to breathe in horrible smoke and fumes.

can someone who talks sense and isnt blinded by hatred for audis and diesels please tell me how bad if at all the reek is from a decat diesel with dpf removed and egr switched off?

Another question for anyone who can answer.

After having a discussion on another forum including the topics Audi, diesel and decat i was quickly shot down in flames by two folk strongly against anything Audi and anything diesel.
I was questioned on why id want a diesel V6 based on sound when i then posted a video of a 3.0 tdi decat milltek system posted by youtube user "truckerdel"

To which the reply was along the lines of thats only that noise because of decat etc and then went onto pass comment on how terrible diesel decats are and how people have to breathe in horrible smoke and fumes.

can someone who talks sense and isnt blinded by hatred for audis and diesels please tell me how bad if at all the reek is from a decat diesel with dpf removed and egr switched off?

They're expressing opinions, not facts. Go test a 3.0TDi, and make up your own mind.

I'll defo be test driving one but any ideas regarding the exhaust smoke

The hatred is probably justified IF they owned a 2.0 tdi with multitronic gearbox:jump:
All diesels smoke thats fact, even the new stuff, they hide all the crap in the dpf then when the engine senses to much back pressure it will do a regen which uses more fuel to burn the dpf clean.
Follow any modern diesel and you will notice the odd puff as it goes along, drive any modern diesel and occasionally hoof it away at some lights, this time of year and you will see a cloud of fine smoke behind you, the car behind cant/wont see it as its real fine, but you can see it
What an egr does is lower the combustion temp which causes less nox particles to come out the pipe, the problem with egr is i dont think its good for any engine, imagine working hard and having to breath all your sticky sweaty farts!
If you ever get the chance to look at an engines inlet manifold thats got egr you wont believe the black sludge thats at east 6mm thick all over it.
At work the newest gen of trucks now have egr, dpf and a cat to meet euro 6 so wont be to long and the cars will be the same, time to buy petrol cars!

seems to be all those making negatives are those without Audis, ive not seen one audi owner come on and slate them

My 3.0TDi sends out a bit of smoke if I floor the throttle but that's all. As for smelly, all diesels have a stinky exhaust. It's the nature of the fuel.

whats the CO2 emissions, ive read two conflicting figures,

£280 a year was the higher of the two?

c02 havent a clue, but 12 months tax only a few weeks ago was 280 quid, this is on an 05 plate se quattro.

If your looking for a particular vechicle go here and select vechicle enquiry
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov
put the number plate in and the make and it will tell you the road tax and when it's due on a vechicle.

As for 3.0 TDI's I know this is a B7 forum but recently I have bought an 08 plate manual B8 A4 3.0 TDI Avant.
My previous car was a B5.5 Passat 1.9 estate mapped to 207bhp so was looking for a silmilar size car with similar performance.
I was looking for quite a while before I came across this one. I wanted a B8 as Audi made quite a few improvements over the B7.
Garret 2260VK turbo is a good deal better than the BV50 fitted to previous engines, This contributes to more power and better mpg.
The B8 is about 10% lighter than the B7 due to a lot of things being made of aluminium and body panels from high strength steel.
Despite the fact that the car is bigger than a B7.
The B8 3.0 TDI uses a twin plate 228mm clutch, so shouldn't have any issues with remaps unless you go silly.
Changes to the way the FWD is passed to the front wheels mean that the wheelbase is extended along with the change in torque split from a 50/50 to 60/40 makes the car a better driver and less likely to suffer from understeer.
The early B8 cars like mine came with the CAPA engine which is EU4 plus and CO2 is 188g/km so road tax is £260 a year, I have seen cars only a few months younger than mine on 08 plates with the CAWA engine in which is EU5 and has a CO2 rating of around 178g/km this is £220.
If you can stretch to a B8 I think they are a better choice but I found that manual cars are pretty thin on the ground. I bought mine private off autotrader. I have seen them for just over 10K but they usually have 120K miles on them.
Mine returns around 33-34mpg over a tank but I do lots of town driving the average speed on the trip is only 22mph. On a run it's easily into the mid 40's.

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojo
If your looking for a particular vechicle go here and select vechicle enquiry
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov
put the number plate in and the make and it will tell you the road tax and when it's due on a vechicle.

As for 3.0 TDI's I know this is a B7 forum but recently I have bought an 08 plate manual B8 A4 3.0 TDI Avant.
My previous car was a B5.5 Passat 1.9 estate mapped to 207bhp so was looking for a silmilar size car with similar performance.
I was looking for quite a while before I came across this one. I wanted a B8 as Audi made quite a few improvements over the B7.
Garret 2260VK turbo is a good deal better than the BV50 fitted to previous engines, This contributes to more power and better mpg.
The B8 is about 10% lighter than the B7 due to a lot of things being made of aluminium and body panels from high strength steel.
Despite the fact that the car is bigger than a B7.
The B8 3.0 TDI uses a twin plate 228mm clutch, so shouldn't have any issues with remaps unless you go silly.
Changes to the way the FWD is passed to the front wheels mean that the wheelbase is extended along with the change in torque split from a 50/50 to 60/40 makes the car a better driver and less likely to suffer from understeer.
The early B8 cars like mine came with the CAPA engine which is EU4 plus and CO2 is 188g/km so road tax is £260 a year, I have seen cars only a few months younger than mine on 08 plates with the CAWA engine in which is EU5 and has a CO2 rating of around 178g/km this is £220.
If you can stretch to a B8 I think they are a better choice but I found that manual cars are pretty thin on the ground. I bought mine private off autotrader. I have seen them for just over 10K but they usually have 120K miles on them.
Mine returns around 33-34mpg over a tank but I do lots of town driving the average speed on the trip is only 22mph. On a run it's easily into the mid 40's.

Karl.

Mines a 2009 240ps 3.0tdi quattro with the CAPA engine I believe. The tax is only £200 a year. Thanks for all the info on your post, I was wondering a lot of this

Your car LD09 HVJ comes back with a CAPA engine the same as mine but the road tax on yours is £220 a year and the C02 figure is listed at 183g/Km , Mine is 188G/Km the break point between £220 and £260 a year road tax is 185g/km .
I would of thought yours will be EU5 emissions.If you look on the sticker under the bonnet on the drivers side it will say on their something like EU5 .On mine it says EU4 plus.
You can actually change the ECU to an EU5 option which I have done, probably makes little difference to the fuel economy as the difference between my car and yours is only 5g/km.
I didn't think that this engine was fitted in 09 cars as the CAWA engine has slightly different emission equipment and is a bit more frugal with a C02 figure of about 173 for the Avant.

Karl.

Your car LD09 HVJ comes back with a CAPA engine the same as mine but the road tax on yours is £220 a year and the C02 figure is listed at 183g/Km , Mine is 188G/Km the break point between £220 and £260 a year road tax is 185g/km .
I would of thought yours will be EU5 emissions.If you look on the sticker under the bonnet on the drivers side it will say on their something like EU5 .On mine it says EU4 plus.
You can actually change the ECU to an EU5 option which I have done, probably makes little difference to the fuel economy as the difference between my car and yours is only 5g/km.
I didn't think that this engine was fitted in 09 cars as the CAWA engine has slightly different emission equipment and is a bit more frugal with a C02 figure of about 173 for the Avant.

Karl.

Wow you certainly know your stuff. I'll check the emission label. I only got the £200 tax figure from Parker's, which is probably incorrect

Hey folks,
quick update for any interested, dads budget set is £6k which for a car from a parent is really reasonable

aiming towards a B6 S4 now, just to work on persuading Dad, and telling myself i can afford the fuel, which i probably cant

The fuel bill will get to you, then you wont use it as you will be thinking its 20 miles away so that a gallon each way, which is 13 quid and ive got to work two hours to get that money (figures plucked from the air) after tax etc.
Whereas the diesel will do it for half the price, the fuel is the most money you spend on a car.
Plus with any performance car the older it gets the less owners are prepared/care/know to spend on it.

Reactions: NHN
B6 S4 in this fuel enviroment, I wouldn't, we had one & that was years ago, luckily my contract included fuel bill, but after that, paying £20 for a trip to & from Brighton for parts, got too much man when its a 20 minute drive only each way & its only about 20 miles away tbh, if you earn fair & only drive short distances maybe yes, but otherwise a diesel is probably better if you want a bigger engine say V6 3.0 tdi with some power.

Reactions: ben.w93 and jdp1962
Agree with both the above, have let my heart rule my head a few times, getting on first name terms with the petrol station attendant soon takes the shine off that extra bhp. When you think about it how often can you actually use the full potential of the S4, you will be paying the earth to listen to the engine note. Get the tdi with bose, good performance with a cracking stereo that will drown out the diesel, which really isn't that noisy in the first place. Your bank account and licence will be much happier.

Our family of cars consists of nearly the whole range, we currently have a 2.0Tq B7, 3.0 TDI B7 and a B6 S4 cab. the S4 sits in the garage nearly all year, we have had it since new in 2004 the S4 and it only has 11,000 miles on it, compared to some of the cars we run in the family, like the SQ5 and R8 GT, the S4 is slow and extremely uneconomical, at times worse than the 560bhp V10 R8. If you want reasonable performance and economy go for a V6 TDI as NHN says. Dads new 3.0TDI A8 which was remapped is quicker than the S4 too. Ultimately its you decision, but with fuel prices being what they are, unless its going to be an occasional car, you might regret getting the V8.

Thanks for the input, after much thought my head is almost ruling over my heart now and thinking an S4 is totally stupid.

everyone talking sense, and realising in the climate we're in its total stupidity to even think about it.

Trying to meet in the middle. Sadly cant seem to see any 3.0 tdi quattro a for my budget.

Although maybe pointing in the direction of A3 3.2 quattro, i know its not a 4 door (having the wee one) but maybe its a compromise i could live with, who knows.
I know i keep changing my mind, although i do know its an audi I'm wanting.

Saw a steal of an A6 3.2 quattro in Stirling £3800 for 109k miles but with an intermittent engine fault i dont think its worth the risk.

Thought about anything with a 2.0T in it,that is a pretty good engine, not too bad on fuel and quick when mapped.

You've maybe already seen them but there are 2 A4 avants on Autotrader under £6k just now, black one has leather and bose, 130 odd K but full audi service record.
Never driven a petrol A6 but i imagine the 3.2 will be pretty thirsty as well.

i guess theres problems with all engines at some point but was put off by the balancer shaft problem on the 2.0 tdi engine

not seen the A4's on autotrader, will have a look now :)

Mate at work ran a disco v8 petrol used it for commuting, we reckoned if he got it into double figures he was doing well, hes now got a saddo diesel and its basically half the price to run.
As for mpg wife ran a merc c320 for 4 years average was 25 mpg, I had a merc 4.3 v8 average was 22mpg, great noise **** economy, the v6 and v8 engines even with the superchargers are indestructible, oh yeh and they rust like buggery to! so you can see any diesel is going to save you big money.