3.0 TDI or 4.2 TDI A8 D3 Sport?

M5Sime

Relative newcomer...
Reaction score
Hello all! I am planning to take the plunge on an A8 Sport (circa 2006/7).

I have done some digging on the differences between the V6 or V8 engine diesels and other than minor mpg (and alot more power), plus additional weight over the front axle, I am wondering what is the best real-world car..

The 4.2 is a good deal more...

Is the V6 underpowered?
Is the mpg difference so small that one might as well have the power of the V8?
Is the handling of the V8 too nose heavy?

Any other must-have options??

I really like the darker colours (black) with cream leather, but dark dash and steering wheel.. Seems a combo to tough to find. Also seems a shame that few have the B&O upgrade.. The motorised tweeters alone would make me smile every day!!

I know running costs are high(ish) with these cars.. Does anyone have opinions on the best warranty and costs? ie. If the car could have an extended Audi one, is it worth it and how much is it annually??

Quite a few questions, I did quickly do a search first.. Appreciate any answers!!

Superb machines..

Cheers

Sime

(Previous car history includes an E34 M5 LE and also an E39 M5) :racer:

Hi M5sime

This my first post, I saw your thread and hopefully it's not too late to help.

I have owned

04 A8 3.0 TDI (3yrs)Tunit tunned

that was changed for

56 A8L 4.2 TDI (3yrs)

and now currently

57 S8 V10

First of all, Audi changed suspension around the 56/07 mark, notice the fog lights change from circular to square.
This change is massive totally changes the cars handling and ride, any previous model is a waste of time Imo.

Engine wise if you want MPG buy the 3.0, if you want power and semi reasonable economy 4.2 TdI, in my case the 42 was beautiful car to own and drive, I loved chasing porsche boxters and smoking S320 cdi's on the motorways but all in all the engine sound was nothing like a petrol and the fact that i was already doing 21MPG was the main reason i switched to a very low milage S8.

Second hand W12's are one to watch, i had one on loan for 3 months... MPG was exeptional as half the egine shut down at low speed,and the tail pipes suit the car but again the v12 did not sound that great...too quite but thats the point of this car, its the audi flagship and you can feel the quailty in this car.

Good luck

Now thats a cool engine/feature, shuts down half at low speed, learn something new everyday.

Hi M5sime

This my first post, I saw your thread and hopefully it's not too late to help.

I have owned

04 A8 3.0 TDI (3yrs)Tunit tunned

that was changed for

56 A8L 4.2 TDI (3yrs)

and now currently

57 S8 V10

First of all, Audi changed suspension around the 56/07 mark, notice the fog lights change from circular to square.
This change is massive totally changes the cars handling and ride, any previous model is a waste of time Imo.

Engine wise if you want MPG buy the 3.0, if you want power and semi reasonable economy 4.2 TdI, in my case the 42 was beautiful car to own and drive, I loved chasing porsche boxters and smoking S320 cdi's on the motorways but all in all the engine sound was nothing like a petrol and the fact that i was already doing 21MPG was the main reason i switched to a very low milage S8.

Second hand W12's are one to watch, i had one on loan for 3 months... MPG was exeptional as half the egine shut down at low speed,and the tail pipes suit the car but again the v12 did not sound that great...too quite but thats the point of this car, its the audi flagship and you can feel the quailty in this car.

Good luck

Thanks Nile,

Not too late and very interested in your opinions as clearly you have very good points of reference.

It was the 2008 MY that changed the suspension, foglights, small items of trim and also sound deadening to improve isolation. Also the steering was revised from my research. The wing mirors as well changed and offered the options of lane assist and something else to do with covering blind spots etc..

I have heard a couple of comments that the revised suspension was markedly different from the earlier cars. You really feel it was that much better? And this was in a 4.2 TDI?. [Edited to say I noted your 4.2 TDI was before 2008, as is your S8, so presume your experience came from other drives etc]

In the 4.2 you were getting low 20's MPG? I need to get better than 30 for the miles that I do and I have heard that remapped 3.0s have better urge and mpg...

The w12s are nice, and was not aware that the cylinders could shutdown (something only typically offered in the US with American modern V8s).

The MPG is still not great though I believe.

I have had a 5.0L V8 M5 and also the 3.8 earlier M5 (S6) and both were low 20s (well the V8 M5 was 19-20 MPG)...

I drive 110 miles most days, and as such, need to get closer to the 40 MPG of my current diesel. Being mostly motorways and fast cruising, I was hopeful a remapped 3.0 would get me close...

Perhaps too hopeful :))

Thanks again, and welcome any more pearls of wisdom... The V10 S8 must be great (but I suspect still sounds fairly agricultural like the M V8s and V10s did/do.. The exhaust was too quiet as well...

If you love great noises, then a RS4 V8, TVR V8, AMG V8 etc all sound superb...

BR

Simon

Last edited:
I've owned an 04 W12 for 2 years, a 4.2 TDi for 12 months and now an 08 S8 V10 facelift model with B&O, RSE and ceramics for the past 12 months.

W12 = 15MPG
A8 4.2 TDI = 35 MPG
S8 5.0 = 19 MPG

I'm quite heavy footed but the 4.2 regularly returned 500 miles per tank.

I've also driven many 3.0 TDi A8's during servicng periods etc and these were excellet vehicles with great fuel economy and enough power for most circumstances.

You don't see many A8's with B&O (think I've only ever seen 2), just mainly S8's.

Also if you get a car with the 3 year (60,000 miles) servicing pack then running costs are not that bad. The W12 came with a 5 year (75,000 miles) service and maintenance pack, so all I had to do was put petrol and tyres on it. But that has been withdrawn now in favour of the 3 year (60,000 miles) servicing only pack.

In 4+ years of A8 ownership the only thing I've paid for is a set of front brakes on the 4.2 Tdi.

Last edited:
W12 = 15MPG
A8 4.2 TDI = 35 MPG
S8 5.0 = 19 MPG

I'm quite heavy footed but the 4.2 regularly returned 500 miles per tank.

I've also driven many 3.0 TDi A8's during servicng periods etc and these were excellet vehicles with great fuel economy and enough power for most circumstances.

You don't see many A8's with B&O (think I've only ever seen 2), just mainly S8's.

Also if you get a car with the 3 year (60,000 miles) servicing pack then running costs are not that bad.

Hi S8Craig,

Thanks for the comments! Most appreciated. So the 4.2 TDI did give you a reasonable return and I assume considerably more poke than the 3.0 V6 TDI.

I am keen to get one with a warranty from some of the feedback on running costs. As for the B&O.. I agree.. I have only seen two for sale and one of them still is. A 3.0 TDI at a main dealer with this option for circa 26k

I have been wondering whether (for similar money) it would be best to get:

The 06/07 3.0 TDI with B&O but not many other options (SPORT model)
The 06 4.2 TDI SPORT model for the extra shove.. Older and higher miles
The 08MY 3.0 TDI SPORT model for the revisions to the car, but slightly more cost

All around 25-28k at a dealer

Or a Private 3.0 TDI SPORT model with higher miles (60k) for nearer 18k. No Warranty remaining.

Advice on which will be a longer lasting "I am glad I took this decision" is greatly appreciated

BR

Sime

I was given a choice while the car was in manufacture to upgrade at a cost,the 42 was delivered september 06 and the new facelift started showing up march 07.

My S8 is 57 registered in dec 07 and has the facelift.(and ceramic brakes they are amazing!!!!!)

Unfortunately it dose not have the B&O but in my last 42 i did have it and my honest opinion and i am a huge music fan, The B&O is more for show and i often felt is was underpowered,on the plus Possibly the clearest sound ever !!!.

Bose is absolutely adequate, this was my biggest fear when changing, after 3 years with the finest music system in the world how would i cope!!

Very well ...3 months in and not only do i not miss the B&O but i fitted a milltek non res exhaust a few days in, and i don't miss my R8 v8 which i sold too.

I'm sure the 42 has a bigger fuel tank,it took 100 liters easy my range was around 420 at 21 mpg.

I'm lucky if the S8 says 200 range LOL but thats the point it cruises like the smoothest saloon and howels like a lambo... when you want it ..best of both world Imo.

There is sharp competition for the 3.0 tdi,prices are high for standard spec, but you really need to know the specs because you can get great value for money

Extended leather is a must... pack 1+2

If you can get one in warranty and then keep up the audi extended warranty each year, this will save you a fortune.

The audi web locator is a good way to search, thats how i got mine.

The 3.0 was a good car for me, just found it too rev happy so i tunned the ECU and it was a rocket ship but not a 42.
No service issues.

The 42 if I'm not mistaken has it's first service interval except brakes pads at 50000 miles. i was very sore on brakes and these where covered by a similar audi cover except they also covered tyres, again another thing i was sore on but hey the insurance was paying,
Big tip with Quattro is the tyres must be within 3mm tread of the opposite side and the front has to equal the back, at least 3 occasions i saw VWgroup pick up a tab of over £1200 for a flat tyre, but great service they always came to me within a few hours and done the change no hassle.

Any questions let me know I'm an A8 fanatic.

Bose is absolutely adequate, this was my biggest fear when changing, after 3 years with the finest music system in the world

SF> Thanks nile.... I was wondering if this was really something truly stunning. I have seen one 3.0L with it fitted for sale.

There is sharp competition for the 3.0 tdi,prices are high for standard spec, but you really need to know the specs because you can get great value for money

Extended leather is a must... pack 1+2

SF> Really? This is leather on the armrests, lower dash etc? I really want a black car with creme leather and dark carpets and steering wheel.. Sadly I do not like the grey interior fitted to many (with light carpets and a light grey wheel)

If you can get one in warranty and then keep up the audi extended warranty each year, this will save you a fortune.

SF> Any idea how much the extended warranty is per year??

The 3.0 was a good car for me, just found it too rev happy so i tunned the ECU and it was a rocket ship but not a 42.
No service issues.

SF> That was my thinking and the feedback of others. Chipped made gave it a good performance boost and better economy when cruising. They are also cheaper to buy and I met manage a late 07/early 08 with the revisions (if they are really that critical)

The 42 if I'm not mistaken has it's first service interval except brakes pads at 50000 miles. i was very sore on brakes and these where covered by a similar audi cover except they also covered tyres, again another thing i was sore on but hey the insurance was paying,
Big tip with Quattro is the tyres must be within 3mm tread of the opposite side and the front has to equal the back, at least 3 occasions i saw VWgroup pick up a tab of over £1200 for a flat tyre, but great service they always came to me within a few hours and done the change no hassle.

SF> The tyre thing intrigues me... What condition is this? one of the warranty hence VAG picked up the bill? How did they when it is presumably a consumable? I had a good deal of issues with the tyre pressure system on my E39 M5.. It would often trigger falsely ecause according to the bimmer garage it could not deal with relative differences in tread depth (it measure the rotation of the wheel).. Of course I used to ignore it, after stopping a few times on the motorway. Naturally I also ignored it the day I had a real flat at speed and had a smoking mess of rear tyre by the side of the M3.

Any questions let me know I'm an A8 fanatic.

SF> Cool... Would you be interested in PM'ing me your email address and I could send you some links to cars I am looking at for your comment on the spec???

:icon_thumright:
Cheers

Sime

unless your a poser, you will not miss B&O,looks better than it is.

I do not understand anyone who orders grey interior? nasty

Mine is black fine nappa, the extended bit makes the car Imo, leather centre console and doors etc, the double stitching is superb. some cars have contrasting colors but thats audi exclusive order.

Warranty,I know a friend of mine took it out on his S8 few months back for 950 pa but i have been told the 3.o is around 500.

A gearbox or suspension problem could set you back 5k.

Chipping the ECU , she will be not far off a 42 but just not, increase power and economy yes but not by much .

The tyres where covered in a maintenance pack i took up, think it cost my company ....£50 pcm .. but i do feel i got my moneys worth and the service was impeccable.
TPM was never a problem for me, if the wheels where changed then the TPM would reset otself after 10-20 miles, but a very helpfull option imo.

Yes saw your PM's and i found another worth looking at on AT.

Regards :kissmyrings:

Each to their own, I actually prefer the grey interiors, makes the cars look lighter and roomier inside.

2001 S8 = grey interior
2004 RS6 = grey interior
2004 W12 = grey interior
2007 A8 = black = boring, very boring
2008 S8 = grey interior

I do not understand anyone who orders grey interior? nasty

Now this is my idea of a lovelly interior

audi-a8-interior.jpg

imgres

Now that is nasty.... :)

NOOO! :)

Nice..Well the steering wheel is a bit OTT and can live without this version of the wood.

You should have seen my final edition E34 M5 LE. They only made two versions and it was poplar wood and extended champagne leather

Image is the same as mine, but another car and linked to from M5Board

IMG_0350.JPG

That A8 pic is nice, my a8 was vivona or verona, i think there is 2 types and that is the lighter of the 2.

The black dash and cream console clash too much with the inlays and i find those steering wheels slippy and the Gear stick vulgar.
But you can see the extended leather stitching to doors and center... beautiful

Since the R8 I'm a carbon fiber and alacantra slag!

Black is safe and easy to keep clean.

Since the R8 I'm a carbon fiber and alacantra slag!

I do like the S8 interior and was wondering if anyone retrofitted the Carbon trim of the S8? There are also some good carbon overlays these days, but I would be wary of sticking something on.. especially in a black car.

Just for Craig is an image of GREY and Carbon :)

gallery.Par.0304.Image.jpg

Carbon or Piano black is my favourite... Or a nice dubious wood like the post :)

Personal taste is a wonderful and eclectic thing!

:applaus:

Thanks,that looks like a grey contrasting white, i have been in one like that at the audi experience.