3.0 tdi limp mode

kieran lloyd

Reaction score
Hi

I have just bought a 2005 3.0tdi tiptronic quattro but I have a few problems already.

Car keeps going into limp mode, it doesn't happen every time and I have managed to put in sport mode and floor it a few times.

It will show the flashing glow plug lights and reduce all power to a minimum.

I have run a scan and It has come up with
P0046 turbo/supercharger boost controller solenoid A circuit/range performance.

Also p0299 turbo/supercharger underboost.

Now I have a engine management light on permanently, will do another scan when j get home

Any ideas? I have read it's probably the turbo actuator is that right? If so how much of a bill am I looking at?

I have the same on mine, if you keep it under 2k rpm then it’s usually ok.. The actuator needs to be coded to the turbo and the cheapest I’ve seen it is £360 and you send your turbo away and they do it all for you. You can also pay a bit more, I think £400 at last check on eBay and you send them your turbo and then they send you a whole new (refurbed) turbo with actuator etc.. If you find an alternative solution or cheaper prices let me know as I’m waiting to get mine sorted too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same on mine, if you keep it under 2k rpm then it’s usually ok.. The actuator needs to be coded to the turbo and the cheapest I’ve seen it is £360 and you send your turbo away and they do it all for you. You can also pay a bit more, I think £400 at last check on eBay and you send them your turbo and then they send you a whole new (refurbed) turbo with actuator etc.. If you find an alternative solution or cheaper prices let me know as I’m waiting to get mine sorted too!

You used to be able to buy an actuator that was coded I did for mine about 2 yrs ago swap them over set it up and away you go think the actuator on it’s own coded was £180 plus postage it came off e bay company down south did them
Good luck

You used to be able to buy an actuator that was coded I did for mine about 2 yrs ago swap them over set it up and away you go think the actuator on it’s own coded was £180 plus postage it came off e bay company down south did them
Good luck

From what I’ve read that’s hit and miss, when they say the actuator is ‘coded’ I believe it’s just the limits set up on it specific to your turbo.. so if you buy a new actuator by it’s self and stick it on your turbo and those limits are within what your turbo are then your good. If it’s not and the limits get pushed outside of what the actuator is coded to I believe it’s toast and you need to repeat the process. I may be wrong and someone might come along and correct me but that’s what I got from the reading I’ve done.

Is there anyway of cleaning the actuator or turbo to help? I know the turbo works fine as I can put into sport and boosts absolutely fine.