3.0 tdi Limp mode - new actuator controller and turbo clean - flashing glow plu

gazzip44

Reaction score
Hi guys, Can anybody help?? I have a 3.0tdi which has started going into limp mode (flashing glow plug light) usually when I am quite heavy on gas on the motorway and lift off at 80+ if you switch off ignition and back on fault is cleared and power is restored. Fault codes showing are

P3348 - Control Circuit for controller for turbo charger

I have had the actuator control box replaced and calibrated at Audi main dealer

P0235 - Regulation range not reached

Audi stealership are telling me a new turbo is needed £1750 - I don't think so when it drives perfectly 98% of the time!! I think this is overboost code so I have had the turbo removed and mechanically cleaned suspecting sticky vanes and not fancying the Mr Muscle idea. This was done by R-tech who said that the VVT needle was moving freely before they did the work and did not think it was worth doing. I still had it done to rule it out!

Car still does exactly the same thing when I welly it

Its a s line A4 quattro tip.

Please someone tell me you know what I can do now?

Hi guys, Can anybody help?? I have a 3.0tdi which has started going into limp mode (flashing glow plug light) usually when I am quite heavy on gas on the motorway and lift off at 80+ if you switch off ignition and back on fault is cleared and power is restored. Fault codes showing are

P3348 - Control Circuit for controller for turbo charger

I have had the actuator control box replaced and calibrated at Audi main dealer

P0235 - Regulation range not reached

Audi stealership are telling me a new turbo is needed £1750 - I don't think so when it drives perfectly 98% of the time!! I think this is overboost code so I have had the turbo removed and mechanically cleaned suspecting sticky vanes and not fancying the Mr Muscle idea. This was done by R-tech who said that the VVT needle was moving freely before they did the work and did not think it was worth doing. I still had it done to rule it out!

Car still does exactly the same thing when I welly it

Its a s line A4 quattro tip.

Please someone tell me you know what I can do now?

Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? Ive got exactly the same issues. Also replaced the Actuator and MAP/Boost sensor but car is still the same. Had a guy who knows turbos check mine out and he reckons all is fine.

I know its an old thread but just wondered what outcome you had.

i had a similar problem with my 2.0 TDI quattro,it was doing the same on certain long climbs at speed and you would give the throttle a bit more gas just to maintain your speed and it was diagnosed as the vacum unit, the part was only £11 but had to remove inlet manifold to get to it but all in it cost 140 quid to replace and that was including the diagnostic. Thought i would mention it as it sounds similar to the problem i had.

From the Ross Tech Wiki.

19804/P3348/013128 - Control Circuit for Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724): Electrical Malfunction
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724) faulty
Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724)
Check/Replace Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724)
Perform (Selective) Output Test, the Vane Positions should change visibly and audibly
Perform System Test using VAS 6395

Special Notes

When stored in the 3.0l TDI (ASB/BKS/BMK/BNG) with throttle body faults P106B/004203 and/or 17988/P1580/005504 check the throttle unit and wiring for issues that may be falsely causing the turbocharger fault. This note is in reference to customer feedback, not official TSB or TPI documentation.

The bit in the special notes at the bottom is interesting and seems that the throttle unit could cause a code to be raised that may be misleading.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Did anyone get to bottom of this problem? I'm just about to have turbo replaced due to same problem.. Not sure if DPF valve could be a factor though. Might get that removed also, just to be sure!

Hi guys, just created an account to find out more about the issue mentioned in the OP. Has anyone managed to solve this problem? I have the same symptoms described, in particular car goes into limp mode once engine is warm (after turning off and on). If I start on a cold engine I can drive for hours with full boost from turbo. Any direction/advice would be massively appreciated. I have a 2005 Audi A8 3.0 TDI V6.

On the older 3.0 TDI V6 engines they use a KKK BV50 turbo. That has an electronic actuator the same as the newer Garret turbos but it seems to suffer issues and if the VNT mechanism gets a bit sticky the mechanism wears in the actuator and you get issues.
I Have read they are not supposed to be just a straight swap there is some calibration required but some people seem to have just replaced them and had no issues.
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....lectronic-actuator-for-bv50-turbocharger.html
You need to check what fault codes are indicated and go from there.

It's a p3348/19804 fault code that comes up. £175 for the unit is a very good price but I'm looking for someone around the Midlands who can code it as I'm quite sure it's not just a straight swap. Besides I want to see if my existing one will work when recoded.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-3-0tdi-turbo-actuator-replacement.254866/

I had a faulty actuator that I replaced, the OP to me looks like the range adjustment was never quite set up within the limits of the actuator, and so keeps popping up a fault code. Read my thread on how I set the range using an output test on VCDS. dont read the bit about how I then spent two weeks trying to get the car started again :eek:)