3.0 TDI Lazy Gearbox / Turbo lag issues - Software update?

EssexJohn

Reaction score
There have been comments on this (and other forums) plus in the various press reviews about the sluggish performance of the 8 speed box in the C8. I previously had a C7 3.0 TDI biturbo in which I did 124k miles without the gearbox once disappointing; my current C8, whilst a great car in so many respects, seems to have the same poorly programmed gearbox as other folks are complaining about.

I phoned my local main dealer this morning, who checked into my vehicle and advised there were no recalls for a gearbox software update. This surprised me but I am not sure what I can do now. My car was registered 1/5/19. The only software update their system was showing was for the MMI.

Can anyone who has had the gearbox software update, please advise as to whether it was showing as an "official" recall, or whether they had to nag their dealer to get it done. Any clarification on this would be very helpful to all I feel.

Many thanks

Hi Gazwould, very similar to as mentioned in "My A6 Avant Problems" a little further down the forum. Worst situation is when approaching a roundabout, gearbox doesn't change down appropriately. So when slowing to say 10mph, input on the throttle either results in no response or with more throttle it shifts down and gives way too much power, but with a delay of a second or so. Virtually impossible to get the balance right. Only way to overcome is to manually shift, which should hardly be necessary in such a car as this. Best set up I have found is to put Drive Select to Individual and custom set Drive system to Dynamic.

Various reviews have also commented on this issue. Maybe it is just a factor of the mild hybrid system?

I love the car and previously I've had both a C6 and C7 3.0TDI A6. Economy on this one is awesome. But the behaviour of the gearbox just takes the edge off what would otherwise be a great car.

I am just trying to find out if this is a real problem which has been confirmed by Audi and whether they are rolling out a software upgrade to all.

Interested comments from others who have had this problem too.

Thanks.

I think this issue may be the byproduct of eco/comfort modes.
They really are for cruising.
Whenever I want to drive briskly at roundabouts and intersections, I have to put it in dynamic or knock the gearbox into sport.
Then it reacts as it should.

Reactions: Sean Byrne
I thought the gearbox lag was a 'feature' of the 50 TDI, ie its something you have to put up with?

Off another forum but might help, seems you need software no. 100.04

Hey all, good read on the sluggish pull away problem with A6 50 TDI, My Audi dealer has confirmed that my gearbox software is 100.01 and that the new software 100.04 is now available for my vehicle, in fact, it is going in this week for the update, I hope I notice the difference like some of you have, as waiting for the car to respond whilst pulling out onto roundabouts is embarrassing if not dangerous, Although it is fun when the car responds, well in my eyes it is but not the wife’s!!, I let you know how I get on.

Hi, yes this is my thread from another forum, as it says, there is a software update, my Audi dealer has checked the number plate of another A6 50TDI that has already had the update and has now identified the software available, others that have had the update are claiming a significant improvement, my car is due for the software update this Thursday so will update once I have had chance to test out!

Also as above, there is an MMI update available too.

Reactions: TG_A6_50tdi_quattro
Very interesting Gjjenna, I have a friend who has an almost identical car to mine, he has had the MMI update but found the same as me...that the dealer is unaware of any autobox software update. Will be very interested to hear your feedback once your car has been in.
Many thanks

Hi John, will do,

I will get all the blurb from my dealer, the after sales guy there is a top fella and knows his stuff!

until tomorrow

Another problem with this gearbox -- if I slow right down ( in comfort mode ) like before a roundabout, the box switches to manual at low speed. It stays in manual, for instance round this roundabout , and I then have to furiously paddle it up to a gear that matches the speed otherwise I am doing 4000 rpm in second gear or whatever ! At this point it is difficult to change gear because the paddles are at the 1200 and 0600 positions as I am steering the car hard right or left. If I catch it right I can put it back into D and after a short delay, it sorts itself out. Anyone else have this crap with the gearbox?

Hey mate, this isn’t right, and I’ve not heard of this before, suggest you get your passenger to film it and get the car into Audi to fix it, thought my hesitation problem was bad!

Hi Gjjenna, did the dealer do the software update for you? Any further info?
Thanks

Reactions: CGaggia
I’ve not noticed any change really, still hesitates, they advised it did not upload first time so would question if it uploaded The second time.

I’m going to get it rechecked and will advise,

I suggest you manage your expectations on this, I thought as soon as you hit the throttle you’d be away, however this is not the case.

There have been comments on this (and other forums) plus in the various press reviews about the sluggish performance of the 8 speed box in the C8. I previously had a C7 3.0 TDI biturbo in which I did 124k miles without the gearbox once disappointing; my current C8, whilst a great car in so many respects, seems to have the same poorly programmed gearbox as other folks are complaining about.

I phoned my local main dealer this morning, who checked into my vehicle and advised there were no recalls for a gearbox software update. This surprised me but I am not sure what I can do now. My car was registered 1/5/19. The only software update their system was showing was for the MMI.

Can anyone who has had the gearbox software update, please advise as to whether it was showing as an "official" recall, or whether they had to nag their dealer to get it done. Any clarification on this would be very helpful to all I feel.

Many thanks
I asked Audi UK and then again checked with the dealer but they said no software update for the gearbox is available. The lag issue really makes what otherwise would be a dream car mediocre. All that was done was a MMI update when it went in on Friday. Does anyone know the exact reference for the supposed gearbox update so I can tell my dealer what to look for ?

2020 02 14 091432

Sorted .

Just a quick update on the ‘slow to accelerate’ issue, the TPI that’s required is 2053287/11 but more importantly, this is an Engine ECU update and not a gearbox update as such, the software update is 4K0907401K, I have looked into this using my OBD11 Dongle (snap shot attached showing the latest software has been uploaded) and had this verified by two Audi garages, i am also pleased to say that when you drive in Auto or sport there is a difference in pulling away and changing up and down through the gears, i was driving in comfort mode before and this setting all though improved is still a more sedate driving experience.

The car also feels better each time i drive it and Audi confirmed this is also due to the car getting used to my driving characteristics, anyway, hopefully this is the end of my issues i have been experiencing as described above.

Attachments

• FAC5FED4-AFA2-48B0-9A7D-5C207A87BA2C.jpeg
    FAC5FED4-AFA2-48B0-9A7D-5C207A87BA2C.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 715
Thanks for the information Gjjenna. How did you manage to persuade your dealer to upload the ECU update in the end?

I just asked them as I had a ‘pull away’ problem, do you have a Harwoods or Caffyns Audi dealer you can get to? If so, let me know and I’ll give you the contacts of both who know all about the issue and the fix available. Cheers,

Hi it would be really great if you could advise of th individuals that do know about this update and then we can refer our local dealers to them. Today I checked with my dealer again and all they could offer was to look at it again - does any one know if when they plug the car in does it automatically show all the updates or do they have modules for different components that must be plugged in individually before fixes show up. The reason I ask is because they keep telling me that only an MMI update was available and I want to know if this is because they were just to lazy to check other modules ?

Hi
Just to update - I have had the ECU update and I’m really pleased to say that the gear selection lag problem is cured or at least much improved . It now shifts down on roundabout approach without having to be ‘primed’ with a prod of the accelerator.

I too had the updates today, ECU and Gearbox (A6 50TDI)

After a year of frustration the transformation is welcomed.

General shifting has improved (not imperceptible, but huge improvement), throttle response is much better calibrated (better feed of power, especially on low/medium load)

Most importantly downshift approaching junctions, as described above, much better.

Finally, enjoyable to drive

Thanks to lm2929 and Adam for the information. Was getting your dealers to do the update fairly straightforward and did they acknowledge this is a well known problem?
Any particular reference to ask for?
Many thanks

Thanks to lm2929 and Adam for the information. Was getting your dealers to do the update fairly straightforward and did they acknowledge this is a well known problem?
Any particular reference to ask for?
Many thanks
The first time I enquired about tit they told me only a MMI update was available but booked me in and said they would check for any other updates
Clearly they didn’t as the car was returned and I was told there was only an MMI update done.
I suspect they just didn’t bother plugging in the ECU to module.
Thanks re read the forum and the n their feedback I quoted the specific update kindly passed on it n this thread and they rebooked me. The second time it was done And it’s a huge difference

I was lucky, quoted the details from the forum - didn’t commit at booking, but did the update.

Worth whatever hassle it takes to get it done.

anybody know what the MMI update includes?

I was hoping the MMI update would solve the issue of wireless connection to Apple CarPlay but it didn’t . When I first got the car it would connect wirelessly but now I have to plug it in . I can’t see that the MMI update changed anything noticeable

Reactions: 010Adam010
I don’t understand the dealers reluctance to carry out these updates. Why do you think that is?
Also does anyone know if there’s a similar update for the 40TDI or does the same notice apply? Terrible lag / throttle response when not in Sport... so much so that it’s dangerous entering roundabouts without putting the box into sport first (which has started becoming a habit now)

Reactions: DaveW
I don’t understand the dealers reluctance to carry out these updates.

Judging by the amount of downtime with Audi’s IT services such as the myAudi app etc. I would understand the dealer’s reluctance if each time they plug in a car for an update there’s no response from the server side :footy:

I think it’s that they just can’t be bothered to plug in and check properly vis a vis the server issues they have.

Judging by the amount of downtime with Audi’s IT services such as the myAudi app etc. I would understand the dealer’s reluctance if each time they plug in a car for an update there’s no response from the server side :footy:

Hahaha... fair point

Got mine updated today by Bham Audi whilst car was in for an Adblue warning; only a short drive home, but what a difference.... instantly noticable and a much smoother drive. There is still an ever so slight delay when rolling into low speed roundabouts but throttle response is massively improved. No gearbox errors were found and as others have commented here, a general software update included this ECU update.

Oh yeah, did lose my MMI shortcuts though..!

Good to know you’ve all had the ECU update, all we need now is the 30mph lag to be resolved and we have the perfect car. Nights are drawing in so time for some fun when you are following the car ahead on some dark country lane if you’ve got the HD Matrix headlights! Had the Matrix (not HD) on my A4 B9 and got a few flashes from oncoming cars but none to date on the A6, A mate of mine was baffled when I came up behind him as the road signs lit up in front of him, it must be quite a display if you are the car in front looking in your rear view mirror!

I finally booked mine in yesterday with my local dealer to be sorted later this month and was told that an official Gearbox/Engine ECU recall has now been issued on my car. No quibble at all about them doing it.

Will report back when it has been done.

Good to know you’ve all had the ECU update, all we need now is the 30mph lag to be resolved and we have the perfect car. Nights are drawing in so time for some fun when you are following the car ahead on some dark country lane if you’ve got the HD Matrix headlights! Had the Matrix (not HD) on my A4 B9 and got a few flashes from oncoming cars but none to date on the A6, A mate of mine was baffled when I came up behind him as the road signs lit up in front of him, it must be quite a display if you are the car in front looking in your rear view mirror!
Know what you mean about the 30mph lag . I find I have to enforce kickdown which annoys me no end as you then get a massive boost of power - all the careful economical driving you’ve done over the previous 20 mile journey goes to pot!

A couple of years ago I was driving at night through Germany, there were a number of cars coming up behind me with matrix headlights, it was strange to see at the time as they weren’t common in the UK.

I think it’s that they just can’t be bothered to plug in and check properly vis a vis the server issues they have.
No it isn't, they take their advice from headquarters not to update firmware unless they are told to by them for each individual vehicle, or as a recall or a technical bulletin. A small issue such as lag isn't sufficient...

No it isn't, they take their advice from headquarters not to update firmware unless they are told to by them for each individual vehicle, or as a recall or a technical bulletin. A small issue such as lag isn't sufficient...

Very concerning! So Audi doesn’t consider their latest and (in theory) most bug-free firmware to be important enough to update. That’s like being forced to use a Windows 98 PC at the office on a dial-up modem with the boss saying you won’t be upgraded because head office saying no you can’t have it yet...

Audi has always seemed to operate a "if isn't broken don't fix" policy and it is up to the customer to identify there is a problem. That said if there is a safety issue they will do the update next time the car is with the dealer

I recall a few years back with the C7 many owners claiming a lnown issue tot he dealers so they could get the update that allowed a data onnection via a SIM card and have their phone connected over bluetooth for calls.

Very concerning! So Audi doesn’t consider their latest and (in theory) most bug-free firmware to be important enough to update. That’s like being forced to use a Windows 98 PC at the office on a dial-up modem with the boss saying you won’t be upgraded because head office saying no you can’t have it yet...
Not concerning at all, unless Audi headquarter sanctions the update and then the dealership goes ahead and performs it, if it goes wrong the Audi will not repay the dealership for the warranty work. This is the way that Audi, mostly, operate, unless you can find a 'friendly' dealership. As for any firmware being bug free, and actually being much of a benefit? I think you'll find the history of IT littered with upgrade failures..