3.0 tdi Glow Plug Help Please

dt-tdi

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I need to replace two glow plugs on the wife's 2006 A4 3.0tdi (Cylinder 3 and 5).
Can anyone send me a diagram of the cylinder layout please so I can figure out which ones need removing.

Thanks in advance:thumbs up:

How many miles has the car done?
I’m sure you’re aware they’re not a serviceable item like spark plugs etc.

But if 2 have failed it’s common practice to replace all of them as a precaution.

That would be the safest bet, Sod’s law you’ll replace the two offending items and then another 1 or 2 will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BDMark
How many miles has the car done?
I’m sure you’re aware they’re not a serviceable item like spark plugs etc.

But if 2 have failed it’s common practice to replace all of them as a precaution.

That would be the safest bet, Sod’s law you’ll replace the two offending items and then another 1 or 2 will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve owned the car for about 5 years now and have already replaced 2 glow plugs that VCDS showed were faulty.
At the time someone on here or another forum posted a diagram of the engine showing the cylinder numbers but I’m dammed if I can find it?

If no one can help on here I may need to ask my local dealer.

All V6 , V8 ,V12 engines follow this pattern. Standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay cylinder 1 is closest to the radiator on your left or the drivers side in the UK. Counts back to the bulkhead then back to the front of the engine on the other bank. If you have already replaced two plugs and need to replace another two I would just replace the remaining four. They aren't that expensive unless you have a car with Piezo pressure transducers in the plug, which you don't. The longer they are in the more chance that they won't want to come out. If a plug doesn't want to come out just leave it. Better to have a non working plug than a broken one that requires head removal to fix. Make sure engine is warm before you try and remove them .

Upload 2020 3 9 12 55 9

Reactions: BakPak
Is it Etka drawings that shows everything, bit like the old Haynes manuals?
Shame there isn't some way of accessing the drawings with a link through this forum.

All V6 , V8 ,V12 engines follow this pattern. Standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay cylinder 1 is closest to the radiator on your left or the drivers side in the UK. Counts back to the bulkhead then back to the front of the engine on the other bank. If you have already replaced two plugs and need to replace another two I would just replace the remaining four. They aren't that expensive unless you have a car with Piezo pressure transducers in the plug, which you don't. The longer they are in the more chance that they won't want to come out. If a plug doesn't want to come out just leave it. Better to have a non working plug than a broken one that requires head removal to fix. Make sure engine is warm before you try and remove them .

View attachment 198915
Thanks ever so much for the info:thumbs up:

View attachment 198915
Doesn't that picture contradict itself?

Go by the main pic not the smaller one cos number 4 and 5 are the wrong way round

Reactions: BakPak