3.0 TDI Engine Fault Codes

Here’s the T:

d2c87027e84bc8e91290cb233ade9865.jpg

Its this circled in red in the middle of the photo, excuse all of the other arrows.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 447
what section did you look at to get that Rob? It's not that exact bit, the bottom (the bit i snapped, and looks like the top in the photo i put up) goes down on to a very small silicone hose then attaches to a metal pipe with a spring clip

nope , its this section, pretty sure its part 37 but double check chap .

Upload 2019 1 13 20 43 47

ok, but where did you gert that diagram? I can't see it where i'm looking, or do you have the part number of item 37?

could even be 6 as that is a straight t piece, just back track from the expansion tank and that will clarify which one it is chap, hard to be sure from your pic but a proper visual would confirm which one.

looking at your part , and the sizes of part 6 i'd be more inclined now to say it is 6 , but double check yourself to be 100% as I can only go by your pics etc.

It's neither of them either :( The T piece has 2 thick diameter pipes on the straight and then a thin one coming off the bottom, the one from my car is same diameter in every direction. The Y piece (aside from being the wrong shape) looks to be the opposite, small diameter on the downwards pipe and thicker on the straight.

Note that on the piece from my car, only the downwards pipe is snapped, the length of the straight is correct i.e. one long piece and one small piece if that makes sense?

ok, lets look at another page chap.....
so yours is an equal T , yes.

Not an equal bud, right hand side (leaving from the middle square bit is long, but the left hand side is small and has the bulge bit on it almost straight away. I'm assuming the pipe coming from the bottom is about the same length with the same bulge bit as the right hand side one.

and connected to the expansion tank?
its just a process of illimination then.

ok , and the hose it connects to goes to the expansion tank , yes, top or bottom.
I ask as the parts pages are either listed as "Feed" or "return" if we know which of these it is that will narrow down a long way what page to look at....

That engine pic chap, is that your engine or a general pic.

Just a general pic mate, I’ll get a better photo tomorrow if I can. I may also nip in past TPS on my lunch and see if they can find the bit I’m after Thanks for the help thus far!

your chassis number would be the best option at TPS, that will bring up the specific coolant diagram for your engine, otherwise its a bit hit and miss.

Here’s the T:

d2c87027e84bc8e91290cb233ade9865.jpg

just been looking at this again chap, are you sure it's coolant, were the hoses push fit or clamped on......just wondering if they are vent or vacuum, doesn't look coolant fitting somehow.....just curious .

Last edited:
just been looking at this again chap, are you sure it's coolant, were the hoses push fit or clamped on......just wondering if they are vent or vacuum, doesn't look coolant fitting somehow.....just curious .

I think it is vacuum. Car would run fine without a vent, but wouldn’t without a Vac line connected!

I’m like 99% sure it’s coolant guys, it was dripping water at a decent rate when I snapped it off?

best get down to TPS and see what they think....I had another look last night and the only parts are the parts on those pages....unless it a different layout.

Cool no worries mate thanks again for the help and searching efforts!

I agree TPS can probably help better.
I think that is coolant from memory. I suspect it is 6. Second picture on post 6 on the post below you can see it come across from the coolant bottle - the T piece is right next to the purple and blue boxes.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-egr-cleaning-refurbishment-help-info.209076/

To be honest tho vacuum or coolant I don't see why a fairly generic T piece can't be used as OliNix said .

Yes that’s exactly where it is, top right of that purple box.. I’m sure I a normal T would work but I’d still like to double check to make absolute sure it will work correctly..

So TPS couldn’t get anything from ETKA either, the guy thinks the T piece might be integrated in to a pipe and so won’t show. He’s ordered a T that he thinks should work and will get it tomorrow so hopefully that will do the trick!

may well be the section (42) which has a fixed joint, doesn't have a part number and has no replacement part.

Upload 2019 1 14 17 46 41

may well be the section (42) which has a fixed joint, doesn't have a part number and has no replacement part, the only conclusive way to identify it is to trace the original hose and where it connect's, that leaves no other possible confusion really.
good luck chap.
Upload 2019 1 14 17 49 21

Just as it has been slightly bugging me I had a look at mine tonight and also some old photos from when I did the air intake clean - so I can give a better picture of it but for the life of me I cannot find any of it on the parts DB despite trying. The whole bit just seems to be missing. Weird. Anyway as it is always good if people find threads later with a bit more detail in :)

So this is the T piece in question (green circle if you get full size):
TPiece1

Then from an engine bay view:
TPiece2

So the piece is marked in green. The red arrows show the visible tubes each way, and the 3rd arm goes straight down on the blue arrow. If it was to be included as part of any part I am guessing due to the yellow circled molding it would be with the *LEFT* [edit] hand tube (looking at picture). Every other pipe attached to any junction in the chain appears to be secured with a jubilee clip.

The right hand red arrow and the blue arrow pipes connect on to metal rigid pipes and they both dive down towards the block out of sight. The passenger side one is this one (viewed with various parts of the re-circulation system and manifolds out - marked in blue in blue size picture):
TPiece3

I'm really no mechanic though so no idea what they are for - I guess some sort of pressure release from the block for the cooling system?

Would be nice to know their function ;)

Reactions: 5ean and Charlie Farley
Yes that’s exactly it mate, good work! But yeah as you say no mention of any of that on any diagrams relating to the ASN engine.. I’m sure the standard T piece I’ve ordered will do the job, probably not the exact same length of pipes but that shouldn’t matter.. I’ll need to get some circlips too as I had to break the weird fixed ones that the pipes were originally secured with..

ASB* :)

BTW just to clear up something that OliNix said - you didn't actually try to start the car did you? As I am sure it would run without that part as he says - but not a vac line. But re-reading what you put you sort of imply you didn't try to start it as it was missing?

Anyway good luck.... I am sort of quite looking forward to you saying it is done! lmfao.

Haha no didn’t start the car, I’ve got some of the intake system off looking for the MAP sensor and seeing inside them I’m going to give them a clean before they go back on and plugged in etc! Hopefully get everything back together and started this weekend..

You and me both! I just want it all sorted and get it running successfully without limp mode. Will still have a couple bits to do though.. Got an ISOFIX bracket on the way I need to fit and then replace a motor for the front window dentist which I believe is a common issue on these..

Reactions: Ubor
Just as it has been slightly bugging me I had a look at mine tonight and also some old photos from when I did the air intake clean - so I can give a better picture of it but for the life of me I cannot find any of it on the parts DB despite trying. The whole bit just seems to be missing. Weird. Anyway as it is always good if people find threads later with a bit more detail in :)

So this is the T piece in question (green circle if you get full size):
View attachment 173515

Then from an engine bay view:
View attachment 173516

So the piece is marked in green. The red arrows show the visible tubes each way, and the 3rd arm goes straight down on the blue arrow. If it was to be included as part of any part I am guessing due to the yellow circled molding it would be with the *LEFT* [edit] hand tube (looking at picture). Every other pipe attached to any junction in the chain appears to be secured with a jubilee clip.

The right hand red arrow and the blue arrow pipes connect on to metal rigid pipes and they both dive down towards the block out of sight. The passenger side one is this one (viewed with various parts of the re-circulation system and manifolds out - marked in blue in blue size picture):
View attachment 173517

I'm really no mechanic though so no idea what they are for - I guess some sort of pressure release from the block for the cooling system?

Would be nice to know their function ;)

Well you're a top man chap, well spotted and proves why keeping old pics of work really does pay off...…
I find it very hard to understand why that's not visible in parts schematic, it not as if it's a silly little clip or something, that's a hose assembly...the mind boggles..
good stuff all the same chap....I can award you 9.5 out of 10...

rob

Reactions: Ubor
Dangerous path to start down cleaning....

Looking back now (18 months) cleaning it all was great fun but hard work. You get sucked in. I always intended to do a follow up diy post to Gurp's as I used his as a basis but just focused more on that cleaning. I have tips! heh.

All I would say is as tempting as it is to replace the glow plugs at the same time as having the manifolds off if you have failures on those from VCDS (doesn't flag engine mgmt light). Just don't. I sheared 1, and broke 4 plastic plugs as they are brittle plastic after heat and age. You can at least buy the plugs and not the loom (although that is hard to find out) but then you have to splice it. Annoyingly the one I sheared was one of the 4 that where ok. :( So dumb...

And Rob I'd be happy with just an 8! :) Just nice to know these things. I think however I have run into this missing section before. I think the BKN/ASB is missing the parts view that includes the coolant bottle - I think this would be on that. I'd like to be proved wrong but I have an A6 C7 3.0TDI Coolant bottle from the equiv engine (genuine from TPS) as I wanted one early on (and was more green) as a new bottle is a quick looks nicer touch I had done in my 2001 1.9TDI (RIP 263k miles). The bottle I have doesn't fit but looks similar - I think I went for that as I couldn't find my one on parts db.

If anyone is after an A6 coolant bottle in perfect condition.... ;)

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Hey sorry didn’t reply sooner had a super busy week!

I’m not intending ok going hell for leather on anything, just the bits I’ve seen that have a visible build up carbon and I’m just looking to run a wire brush etc over it..

On a slightly different note, and a bit of a plot twist, I got the V5 through the other day and it turns out my engine is actually a BKN, not ASB

I’ve got the new T, attached to the pipe as it comes as one unit to go on hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds out as well as replacing some clips I’ve broken, then I’ll hopefully get everything back together, Juno start it as the battery is dead and then take a for a spin and hopefully all the fault codes apart from the demister are gone!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I hadn't realised but I've just taken a look again at my VCDS outputs, and I know I am a BKN:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 059-907-401-ASB.clb
Part No SW: 8E0 910 401 K HW: 8E0 907 401 AJ
Component: 3.0L V6TDI G000SG 0030
Revision: --H01--- Serial number:
Coding: 0011911
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000

One to remember for future :) Apologises for the miss-identification. I pretty sure though the only difference between the BKN and ASB was the engine map to get from 203 to 233?

Good luck for tomorrow!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and 5ean
Sorry, only just seen this, regarding the T piece, same thing happened with me first time I laid hands on ours and I just replaced with a generic brass T from E.Bay and it's been absolutely fine, now 3 years on. It is a coolant pipe and the worrying thing, which I have not addressed myself and meant to, is that there are others, obviously they will all be as brittle as this 13 going on 14 year old one :(
I would say they are great cars and your efforts will be worth it in the longer run,I haven't had t do the cleaning thing but did have to do a flap actuator rod, some glow plugs and so on, appreciated, coming from an A3 2 litre TDI the access to the turbo etc its just there right in front of you but Audi being Audi, they are bound to have hidden other things, as you seem to be finding, Good luck, I am sure you will get there in the end :)