Help Please 3.0 TDI CAPA how to help needed!

Racco

Registered User
Hello guys!

So i have a 2008 A4 with the 3.0 TDI CAPA engine... the yellow check engine light is on, and i have the fault code P063800 and Sometimes the engine stalls at idle, and i have some strange power surges at completely random. The mechanic said the TB should be replaced, because the one inside the car now from brand ERA is not quality enough, and i need a VDO or Pierburg one.

Do you think thats really the problem? and also, Do you guys think it is an easy DIY job? It looks fairly easy to me, only 4 bolts holding it and an electrical connector, or do i need something else for it?
I would really want to do this myself since they ask a ridiculous amount for both the part and labour.

Have a great day everyone!
 

Racco

Registered User
Thanks for the answer. I went to a mechanic, and we plugged in a VDO brand throttle body, and the error disappeared. But the one inside car is not faulty he confirmed, its just a low quality one. So i have to change it sadly...
So the changing process is just straightforward ? Like i just take it out plug in the new one, put back the bolts and thats it?!
 

Racco

Registered User
Yep, that easy for a TB swap. Plug and play. No adaption required :)

Well thanks a lot for your answer..i will order the new TB then and i will update this post on how the changing procedure went. Hopefully there wont be any complications :)
 

Prodigium

I equally love and hate German engineering
Or you can just disable it. As far as I know the function of that TB is to close when the engine is being turned off so it does that smoothly. you know some people are delicate and wouldn't want to buy a new car that turns off violently. I have it disabled on mine and I have no issues. The only noticeable thing is that when you turn it off you can hear the turbine doing the su tu tu thing :) other than that it runs perfectly fine.
 

Racco

Registered User
Thank you everybody for the help
and the answers. I have ordered the VDO TB, it arrived today. I put it inside, and before connecting it i deleted the fault codes. All of the fault codes have disappeared, check engine went away also and the problems stopped. I had another fault before something about the oxygen sensor signal being not at the correct value, that disappeared too. I used the car for an hour drive everything seems to be back to normal :)
 
Top