1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

3.0 TDI (CAPA) Glowplug DIY?

Slackworth Jan 19, 2016

1. Slackworth

Slackworth Registered User

Morning All,

I have recently scanned my car with VCDS and have a fault on Glow Plug in Cylinder 5. I've tried clearing it in case it was intermittent but unfortunately it's back with avengeance!

Asked Stoke Audi for a quote and they're saying they want £196 to do just one and asked a local indie and they're saying they want £180 to do all 6 with no option for just the one.

I'm all for a DIY if it's a safe job to do but the indie has warned me that the 3.0 TDI is quite common for stripping threads. If that's the case then I'd rather let someone else take the risk or is this just tosh? The instructions from Elsa look really easy in comparison to what they are saying.

My bugbear with the whole thing is that a genuine Audi single plug from parts is only 17 quid inc. VAT but the cost after labour 10x higher! I do suspect Audi have dropped a clanger on their quote so I'll ring again to be sure but do they really all need doing at once as the others aren't throwing any errors at all and car is starting fine even with number 5 dud.

Also, how do you identify the cylinder number on the engine itself?

Ta :)

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. makelja

makelja Registered User

I changed those to a BPP type machine a year ago. One plug stripped threads, so the threads had to be cleaned.
    You have to drive the engine to full heat to prevent those problems. I did it also but since it was -18 degrees at the time I was doing it, the last one did the stripping.
    All you need actually is if I can remember correctly a 10mm long socket [​IMG] ( I can check this for you when I get home) and a joint for that. What also helps is some rubber hose (ca.8mm diameter), you can pick the removed plug out. I did that with a cable tie and it did it a bit tricky. Also penetrating oil is preferred.

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Its £100 an hour so the price is correct IMHO, I also suspect the indie isn't using Audi plugs for that price, but speculative, so beware if this.

5. Slackworth

Hmmm so it does seem to be somewhat of an issue. I do think the indy will use VAG parts as they use TPS as I've seen the van - they used a genuine Audi pollen and oil filter when I had the service done too.

I did think about driving to get the engine hot and spraying with penetrating fluid a few days before but not convinced 100% it's a good idea.

6. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I would not worry to much about genuine Audi plugs. Audi don't make glow plugs they will either Bosch or BERU, then Audi add £50 on the price of each plug because they have had their logo & part number stamped on them (Take one out find who makes it and then get the same make from your local motor factors). It a very easy DIY job, you just need to take the car our to get the engine hot, and don't try and force the plug out, if it's not budging then leave it alone.

7. Slackworth

Already found out it's a Beru plug. It's only £18 + VAT for a genuine Audi plug - it's just the labour side which I'm a bit concerned about from a DIY perspective.

The Elsa instructions suggest using a torque wrench set at 15nm to get it out and if it doesn't budge then loads of penetrating fluid. Will this stop any stripping as I don't mind buying a torque wrench.

8. B5NUT

I would not be to worried about stripping the thread it's more ripping the head off the glow plug that would worry me. Like in this thread at the moment. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/snapped-sheared-glow-plug-3-0tdi-bmk-engine.260452/ That is a very good price on plugs, I went to TPS looking for plugs on my BMK 3.0 TDI and they were coming out at almost £30 a plug v the BERU price of £10 each.

It would be a good idea to get the wrench could save you £££

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  9. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Soak the threads in plus gas for dayyyyyys before hand if you do it.

10. B5NUT

But that should be overnight when the engine is cold otherwise it will just burn off when the engine is up to temp.

11. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Yep. Have you tried putting a socket over and tapping with a hammer to try and shock the threads slightly too?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Slackworth

Not tried doing it yet...debating if it's a good idea or not!