3.0 TDi - Buying Advice/Problems

757RB211

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Prospective buyer for an A5 Coupe, 3.0 TDi (245) S-Tronic. Ideally a 2014/2015 face-lifted model with no more than circa 60k miles on the clock.

I've done a fair bit of research and overall the 3 litre diesel does get a good write-up in terms of reliability, however the recurring theme with it's problems would appear to be the timing chain tensioners, and with it being an engine-out job, a very costly repair. Is this a somewhat 'common' problem for this engine (specifically the 245/180kw) on the later A5 models when nearing the 100k miles mark?

Some have reported it as little as 80k, some 100k and some reach 160k with no issues at all (on older models).

Buying one with an intact Audi FSH, is this something to worry about?

Cheers,
Kriss

The chain usually starts to rattle just over 100k for a second after startup, preventive measures is just keep changing the oil every 8-10k. CAPA/CCWA chain design is better than the CDUC you're looking at. That being said I don't think I've seen a case of one actually slipping causing engine damage. All three 3.0 tdis I've had have done this one I took upto 180K.

Reactions: mister.c.
It’s normally the top tensioners on the earlier ones that cause the rattle on start up I’ve done a few 2005’s-2011 3.0 tdi’s and the top tensioners can be done from the top it’s tight but can be done approx 8-10hrs
And the bottom ones can be done with the gearbox out as I’ve done a couple 12-16 hrs depending if it’s manual or Auto.
I’m not sure on the configuration of the later CDUC engines only 2 chains I’m lead to believe???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a properly maintained 3.0 TDi should be reliable well beyond 100k miles. The 1-second rattle on startup doesn't necessarily mean the tensioners are failing does it? It's a common 'nuisance' with this engine, many people report the rattle but no subsequent issues for thousands of miles later, I understand.

A new tensioner makes it quieter not sure if the spring gets weak in the tensioner or the seal starts to pass oil but my last 2005 3.0 tdi had 180k on clock and was mapped over 400 bhp and run sweet as a nut.

So a properly maintained 3.0 TDi should be reliable well beyond 100k miles. The 1-second rattle on startup doesn't necessarily mean the tensioners are failing does it? It's a common 'nuisance' with this engine, many people report the rattle but no subsequent issues for thousands of miles later, I understand.

Rattle on startup is more of a nuisance I’ve not heard of any tdi’s jumping timing but I have heard the petrol V8’s jump timing they are nearly the same set up more or less