3.0 tdi 204bh0 multitronic gearbox

rob0904

Reaction score
Hi, looking at a 3.0 tdi with the multitronic gearbox. Are they any good or are they still problematic? It's got 90k on the clock and full history just waiting to find out if or when the oil was changed in the box.

Is there anything else I should ask or check for in regards to the gearbox?

Rob

Reactions: Buxton2901
I have came from an A4 2.7tdi with the multitronic box and to be honest in my opinion it's not great. The hesitation off the line is terrible. Compared to my a6 now with the titronic and and s tronic I have driven which are far superior.
I don't want to put you off mate as these are great cars just not the best gearbox. Some people love them. Some don't.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I would of wanted a manual to be honest but the rest of the car is a great spec so I could live with an auto. Just the maintenance of the multitronic I worry about, from reading the horror stories from the earlier models.

Rob

Any more info on this. I haven't been for a test drive yet as I'm working silly hours til next week when I'm off work.

Is there anything to look out with the 3.0 multitronic? I know it's had 3 gearbox oil services so it's been looked after in that respect.

Any help/thoughts would be great.

Rob

The multitronic's are a LOT better after 2007 (when they swapped to the 7-plate clutch, instead of the old 6 plate).... so that covers all C7's....but definitely don't do near it if you drive with any level of enthusiasm*.... or you're even vaguely considering any sort of remap - even a conservative "economy" map as that just releases a lump of low-rev torque that those boxes don't like.

*My opposite neighbour had a 62plate 204PS from new: no admittedly he used to thrash the hell out of his car, despite it only being a 204PS, but he went through 3 gearboxes in the first and then two more replacement cars in about 9 months... ended up packing it in and buying an S5 Sportback... which he pointed out that he'd done more miles in as a courtesy car than the car that he'd actually bought...

Unless you desperately want an auto and can't afford the entry-level quattro's (which are definitely NOT multitronic), I'd seriously consider holding out for a manual, but it sounds like you'd probably prefer the manual anyway.

On the flip-side: is tax / fuel economy a significant concern? If you need an auto - seriously look at the entry level 3.0TDI quattro's - they're still very reasonable in terms of cost to run and I think the mid-riange TDI probably returns equivalent real world MPG to the lower end model as the turbo allows it to hold higher gears a lot longer... if gearbox life is a major worry, then get a mid-range TDI with the EIGHT speed (ZF) box and skip straight past the STronic too... the ZF's have a pretty good reputation and are about as bulletproof as auto's get.

Yeah I would prefer a manual but the spec of the car in question is very high and that's drawn me in.

Yeah I would prefer a manual but the spec of the car in question is very high and that's drawn me in.

fair call - if it is priced accordingly, then just factor in that if the previous owner thrashed it, you might end up with a gearbox rebuild (do you research, but I'm sure they start around £1500-£2000 IIRC).

Those gearboxes are very smooth and won loads of awards for how smooth they are, so they could be well suited to your needs, but they're just not suited to spirited driving, certainly not if you want them to last.

Yeah, it depends what classes as spirited driving. Red line every gear every day or just pushing on through country lanes every now and again.

I will look into the rebuild costs. It's a shame you can't swap the multitronic out for a tiptronic, without it cost a fortune.