3.0 DPF question

Daggerit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm picking up the new car later this year as per my sig and was wondering if anyone knows of a company that does DPF deletes for this engine? I'm just not seeing the point of having it in since it's not part of the MOT and even in the future they're just planning on having a visual check anyway unless I'm mistaken so gutting the housing would be alright.

Also, what is involved apart from getting the actual housing gutted? There is some software to remove the DPF requirement but is this easily done on the new 'locked' ECUs? Does it even get done through the ECU or can it be a VCDS job? Is there any idea of cost for this engine? So many questions! Any help would be useful so I can start looking into it.

Cheers lads,

Dan

Hi Dan,

ECU has to be removed for sure. Essentially the ECU needs to be recalibrated so that it doesn't get frustrated due to the lack of DPF. The problem you have is that your car isn't built yet and so we don't know what kind of software is on the ECU. As it stands, I can do it - but there is a chance that your ECU will come with protected software that will take a few months before it can be accessed. Then again, it might be fine. If you were local I'd say come down and we'd take a look, but it's a long drive if it can't yet be programmed.

Rick

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I take it no one has really done much work on the new B8's then? The only issue I'd have is whether they would then use the ECU modification to squirrel out of warranty claims as well? If you manage to get your hands on another facelift B8 ECU and find it can be done then definitely let me know, it's only a 6/7 hour drive down to you. Haha.

Cheers,

Dan

Cool, thanks Rick. :) Are you able to PM me an idea of the price for it as it stands so I can sort finances prior to doing it? I understand that if the ECU contains black magic and it takes longer that there may be in increase but just quote me for the work as it stands if you can?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you not going to consider your warranty before removing the dpf?

And also are you going to inform dvla that the emissions of the car have now increased?

Are you not going to consider your warranty before removing the dpf?

And also are you going to inform dvla that the emissions of the car have now increased?

Yes I am considering the warranty as well, that's why I've not booked myself in to get it done as I'm not yet 100% sure.

In terms of emissions though, the DPF can actually increase CO2 due to regen cycles and has no effect on NOx emissions so why would that matter. Since you don't even need one in for the MOT (as of yet...) why would I need to inform the DVLA of anything?

The reason for a dpf is to reduce particulate emissions which are a know carcinogen and in urban areas in particular increases asthma.
If you want more performance an S4 or RS4 would be a better choice or just go with a remap and see how that goes.

The reason for a dpf is to reduce particulate emissions which are a know carcinogen and in urban areas in particular increases asthma.
If you want more performance an S4 or RS4 would be a better choice or just go with a remap and see how that goes.

Yeah, this I'm aware of. But then the list of things that increase the risk of cancer includes things like shift work, high temperature cooking, steroids, hair salon chemicals and dyes, houshold paint and some cancer treatments! A lot of which people are in contact with on a more regular basis than they are sitting right behind a de-DPF'd A4 tootling about town I'd say. At the end of the day it isn't illegal or anything in Britain and if it was then I'd leave it in. :) I've never had a de-cat or anything like that which is illegal at the end of the day.

I don't want an S4 or RS4 because they're more expensive to buy, tax, fuel and much more to insure. I'm not looking at it for outright power either, I think that it would give a bit more response when I need it and better fuel economy which is what I'm after.

Plus, the S4 and RS4 produce much more CO2 than mine if you're worried about the emissions...

I actually think the DPF technology was rushed into production and over time will be proved wrong. The injection of Diesel into the DPF and effect on daily MPG's causes more harm than good to the invironment as more fuel overall is being burned. Sure a simple 30 second test up the exhuast pipe of a DPF'd car will show lower toxic readings than a non DPF'd car however would the same test show the same results over a couple of months, i believe not and as a result would also like to remove this filter.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Stu

I actually think the DPF technology was rushed into production and over time will be proved wrong. The injection of Diesel into the DPF and effect on daily MPG's causes more harm than good to the invironment as more fuel overall is being burned. Sure a simple 30 second test up the exhuast pipe of a DPF'd car will show lower toxic readings than a non DPF'd car however would the same test show the same results over a couple of months, i believe not and as a result would also like to remove this filter.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Stu

I agree, I think that the regen process is extremely inefficient and they cause more trouble than they're worth. Technology will undoubtedly get better but at the minute they're pretty crap to be honest and cause worse fuel economy resulting in more overall fuel being burned and more emissions as you've said.

The thing is that particulate isn't tested on current MOTs as far as I know and CO2/NOx levels aren't increased so what is the problem removing it? It's another technology introduced by manufacturers to say their cars are cleaner on paper really isn't it?

[/QUOTE]The thing is that particulate isn't tested on current MOTs as far as I know and CO2/NOx levels aren't increased so what is the problem removing it? It's another technology introduced by manufacturers to say their cars are cleaner on paper really isn't it?[/QUOTE]

This is more to do with the testing when the new cars are introduced and taxation classes decided, the engine efficiency is tested and road tax based on the result (think this is where A6CR was coming from). However this is where i was coming from with the whole short term test, the DPF is basically holding back all the bad particles then every so often tries to dissipate them by burning even more fuel, not convinced personally.

Although on the other hand my exhaust tail pipe does appear to be a lot cleaner than previous diesels............hmm

Stu

Does the dpf not stop the cloud of black smoke under hard acceleration?