2TDI DPF issue

tobnh

Reaction score
Hi!

Just recently had my DPF replaced because it was apparently clogged, which is what I and the shop thought was wrong. Day after the DPF was replaced I went for a 8 hour drive and 3 hours into it the same codes popped up on my dashboard and my car went into limp mode.

DPF Load read 250%????????(I only checked the load once the limp mode came up, I haven't checked after)
Last DPF most load it would be at was around max 160%

Tried force-regen whilst driving and no luck.

Shop told me that they had filled it with some kind of fluid which goes into the DPF whenever a DPF replacement happens.

My question is, could it just be a faulty sensor and if so, which one?

Thanks!

i've not got a dpf on mine it never had one but why if they replaced the dpf did they fill the new one with some kind of fluid, that don't sound right to me, you sure they haven't just tried to clean your original one and it hasn't worked, i don't know much about dpf's but i wouldn't of thought a new one would need something filling it like a liquid ??? have you or they checked the hose's/pipes going in and out of it they could be blocked if it was bad ???

i've not got a dpf on mine it never had one but why if they replaced the dpf did they fill the new one with some kind of fluid, that don't sound right to me, you sure they haven't just tried to clean your original one and it hasn't worked, i don't know much about dpf's but i wouldn't of thought a new one would need something filling it like a liquid ??? have you or they checked the hose's/pipes going in and out of it they could be blocked if it was bad ???

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters

Scroll down to 'DPF additives'

I read somewhere that once the DPF load reached 130% that it couldn't be fixed by cleaning and that it had to be replaced

No, I think there's a sensor causing this. I checked under the hood and the DPF looks brand new.
Could it be a faulty EGR? I took off my EGR this summer and it didn't have much carbon buildup, it had some but not alot. (Didn't check intake because I didn't have a new gasket)

I think it's an issue with a sensor where it feeds the ECU faulty 'numbers' which leads the car to think that the DPF is clogged which is why my car goes into limp mode?

Open to any suggestions

Just lob the old dpf out
I was gonna do that but apparently once DPF's are replaced the shops take them and send them to germany to make a new one out of it
And if I wanted it back from the shop I'd have to pay £400-500 I think

I've been on the verge of just carving the insides out of it but it's a brand new DPF, why should it clog after 3 hours of driving?

Reactions: RSTHRILLER
These are the codes that I'm getting

Particulate trap bank 1 effiency below threshold (short to b+) P2002
EGR (short to b+) p3130
Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit (short to b+)
Cylinder 2 glow plug circuit (short to b+)
Cylinder 3 glow plug circuit (short to b+)
Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit (short to b+)

Any clues?

From what I've read on other forums, i'll have to replace the differential pressure sensor, all 4 glowplugs(might be the wrong plugs, they were replaced last year before I had any DPF issues) and a glowplug relay

Last edited:
DPF Differential Pressure Sensor....and make sure to clean the EGR also! Then do a forced regen

Reactions: tobnh
DPF Differential Pressure Sensor....and make sure to clean the EGR also! Then do a forced regen
Hey, yeah, I also ordered an inlet manifold gasket so I'll clean that it aswell while I have the EGR off

But since the DPF load is at 250% now will the car even allow it to force regen?
Is there any way to reset it without VCDS? All I have is ODBEleven

A small update for any wondering if I've solved the issue

Yes! Replaced glowplugs, differential pressure sensor, and also cleaned the EGR Valve and intake

lil edit: Had the glowplugs replaced at a shop in 2016, apparently they had installed the wrong glowplugs which lead to them failing. They had installed metal glowplugs instead of ceramic glowplugs(BRD Engine)

Literally no buildup in the EGR valve whatsoever, one thing that might've also lead to the car going into limp mode was the connector to the EGR valve had oil in it, sprayed a bunch of electrical spray onto both ends waited an hour and plugged it in.

No more engine codes and no more limp mode

Couldn't replace the glowplug relay because I couldn't find it, tried to open the ECU box but I couldn't get the windshield wipers off so I just left it

I've been driving with limp mode for almost a year, cannot describe how good it feels to not Coding II > 21295 to force regen every time I wanted to go for a drive. (Should mention that 21295 didn't bring my car into a regen but it did sort of take the car out of limp mode to where I could drive it like before. It wouldn't regen because of the faulty glowplugs/EGR Valve faults)