1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gear selection problem.

lcfc-uk Sep 16, 2018

1. lcfc-uk

lcfc-uk Member

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem with getting into 2nd gear when I shift down from 3rd gear to 5th.
    This only happens when the car is in motion and not when the car is stationary with the engine on or off.
    There are no grinding noises or anything when I try to shift down to 2nd gear it just will not go in.
    When pulling away from 1st gear to 2nd gear it's perfectly fine, like I say just on the down shift.
    Any feedback on this would be much appreciated before I take it to get fleeced at a garage.
    It's a audi A4 b7 s-line 2.0 120bhp.
    Done 170,000 with a recent full service.
    Thanks Steve.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Might be worth getting the gearbox oil changed first before going for any of the more expensive fixes.

4. lcfc-uk

lcfc-uk Member

Yes I thought that, Thanks for your reply.

5. Sygh2k

Sygh2k Member

Check your gearbox mount whilst your changing out the oil

6. lcfc-uk

lcfc-uk Member

I have just had the gearbox oil changed but there is no improvement.
    Any other suggestions?
    Sygh2k I have only just seen your post after changing the gearbox oil so I will give the mount a good inspection.

7. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Gearbox mount. They can cause gear selecting issued due to excess movement.

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

With that mileage I would say wear in the synchro which would mean it will need overhaul or maybe a replacement box.Replacement might be cheaper if you find a good s/hand one and get a reasonable price for the fitting.My sons S3 box packed up and he got a much lower miler box fitted probably cost half of a recon box price

9. lcfc-uk

lcfc-uk Member

Okay thanks,
    I have had a few people saying a a synchro issue.
    Looks like I'm on the search for a replacement box.
    Thanks for all your replies.

10. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Try the gearbox mount first, it cost less than £15

11. boffin486

boffin486 Well-Known Member

There is an adjustment procedure for the gear lever position - if its wrong it can lead to problems selecting gears.
    This may not be whats wrong with your car, but it might be worth a look as checking the adjustment is free!
    I have a link to a video (actually a gear shift replacement) - it is long but quite interesting. if you skip to the end (about 20 mins), it explains the adjustment. :rugby: