2L TDi cold start problem

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
Hi. I’ve been having this problem for the past week and even more this evening.

Every morning for the past week I’ve switched the car on waited for the glow plug light to go out then tried to start it. It turns over for about 10 seconds then eventually fires. We have just come home from a 2 week holiday and I turned it on twice and waited for the glow plug light to go out twice and it still didn’t fire until after a good 10 seconds it’s as if the glow plugs are not working. Do you get a warning light if there is a problem with the glow plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I’ve been having this problem for the past week and even more this evening.

Every morning for the past week I’ve switched the car on waited for the glow plug light to go out then tried to start it. It turns over for about 10 seconds then eventually fires. We have just come home from a 2 week holiday and I turned it on twice and waited for the glow plug light to go out twice and it still didn’t fire until after a good 10 seconds it’s as if the glow plugs are not working. Do you get a warning light if there is a problem with the glow plugs?

Prbz not much help but I don't think glow plugs will be doing much in summer temps. Sure they only work in lower temps. Not 100% though. I'm having a sim problem ( not 10 seconds though ) mine takes maybe 3 max sometimes. I've tested battery and it's on 12.5 so not ideal, but 12.5 should start the car fine. It's always done it maybe once a month and I've noticed there's a little sensor on the negitive terminal of Battery so I'm woundering if it's something to do with that

I'd start off getting a multi metre on the battery and testing what it's putting out

As for a warning for glow plugs. I've no idea on this car. My insignia did it threw up a service message witch when plugged in told me it was glow plugs

I had a similar problem on my 8p, turned out to be a worn out battery.

Thanks everyone.

It’s booked in on Saturday for a service so will ask them to check the battery.