272 quattro 3.0d

Shock_Xe

Reaction score
For those in the know. What's the situation with gear box and quattro servicing.

I've read some that say sealed unit and shouldn't open but others saying fluids.

Car is stage 2 and approaching 40k

For those in the know. What's the situation with gear box and quattro servicing.

I've read some that say sealed unit and shouldn't open but others saying fluids.

Car is stage 2 and approaching 40k
Following!

I'll be servicing my gearbox at 50k... its true that the box is "sealed for life" as its the same ZF8 unit they use on BMWs who are also sealed for life. But I'd rather have peace of mind and keep on top of it. You can buy service kits from them from various suppliers.

As for Quattro I'm not too sure. I imagine 50k is another decent all round number .

I'd like to know more about your Stage 2 though if you can share

I also have a 272

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'm planning to do my ZFs servicing as per ZFs recommendation:
"Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to 120,000 km or after eight years at the latest."

I'm now almost at 100k km (and out of warranty), and planning to do the gearbox oil and filter change at next engine oil change.

On my previous quattro's, rear diff even at 200k km had oil inside which looked like brand new, so I'll do the diff at every other gearbox oil change.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Following!

I'll be servicing my gearbox at 50k... its true that the box is "sealed for life" as its the same ZF8 unit they use on BMWs who are also sealed for life. But I'd rather have peace of mind and keep on top of it. You can buy service kits from them from various suppliers.

As for Quattro I'm not too sure. I imagine 50k is another decent all round number
emoji2371.png

I'd like to know more about your Stage 2 though if you can share
emoji16.png

I also have a 272
emoji1327.png

Everything In me says to service both but my worry is will I be opening up a potential can of worms I can't close again.

I've got a dark side full 3" turbo back, no cat no dpf, but just about to install an RS4 dual backbox as it's too aggressive on noise. I've had the adblue mapped out so removing tank to allow dual exit exhaust

I've got a dark side S4 front mount intercooler also.

I did have the dark side turbo inlet pipe and bsr cone filter but was removed a while back to rule out issues I was having and haven't re-fitted.

Remapped by bobby Singh stage 2 and gear box remap with fuel sensor I think

Reactions: AshleyZJ
Everything In me says to service both but my worry is will I be opening up a potential can of worms I can't close again.

I've got a dark side full 3" turbo back, no cat no dpf, but just about to install an RS4 dual backbox as it's too aggressive on noise. I've had the adblue mapped out so removing tank to allow dual exit exhaust

I've got a dark side S4 front mount intercooler also.

I did have the dark side turbo inlet pipe and bsr cone filter but was removed a while back to rule out issues I was having and haven't re-fitted.

Remapped by bobby Singh stage 2 and gear box remap with fuel sensor I think
Awesome man, thanks for the info. Don't suppose you have any videos on how it sounds?

Looking at getting my exhaust stripped but don't want to go too far. Like yourself I've been tempted with the RS4 Exhaust as I've found a genuine sports exhaust for a good price local to me

Awesome man, thanks for the info. Don't suppose you have any videos on how it sounds?

Looking at getting my exhaust stripped but don't want to go too far. Like yourself I've been tempted with the RS4 Exhaust as I've found a genuine sports exhaust for a good price local to me

No but I could probably get one . I don't think after cats mods makes much difference with what I've read as most of the silencing is done by dpf and cat after turbo.

From my own experience I can tell you turbo back system is an animal. I've been told it sounds like an amg or an RS4. But it's all the time. I'm hoping the RS4 boxes will tone it down while giving me the genuine dual exit.

I have the RS4 centre section and I will have my 3" back box delete pipe if you want to try and knock something together as a hybrid if leaving the cat n dpf in place?

No but I could probably get one . I don't think after cats mods makes much difference with what I've read as most of the silencing is done by dpf and cat after turbo.

From my own experience I can tell you turbo back system is an animal. I've been told it sounds like an amg or an RS4. But it's all the time. I'm hoping the RS4 boxes will tone it down while giving me the genuine dual exit.

I have the RS4 centre section and I will have my 3" back box delete pipe if you want to try and knock something together as a hybrid if leaving the cat n dpf in place?
That sounds like a good place to start, have you got a price in mint?

And if you could get a video whenever your free I'd really appreciate it. Nobody has really played with these newer 3.0s that I can see.

Cheers.

You went to Bobby Singh too?!

I went in August last year. Had a dms map on from 60k miles n then at 98k went to him.

Now on 105k miles.

I'll be honest I never really felt the dms tune was always consistent, always felt like I was missing something.

I'm shocked how much smoother n happy the car is with Bobby Singhs tune.

He estimates 330bhp and 800nm.

Certainly feels that as the other day I got a 3.8 0 60 using brake boost launch control.

Have had 4.4 with a tuning box back in 2016 and low 4s with the dms remap. Flooring it outright is probably in the 4s.

How are you finding the tune?

The ZF8 in my previous XF was apparently sealed for life according to Jaguar, but ZF themselves said it should be around 60k miles to change the fluid and pan with integrated filter.

Is this your car?

You went to Bobby Singh too?!

I went in August last year. Had a dms map on from 60k miles n then at 98k went to him.

Now on 105k miles.

I'll be honest I never really felt the dms tune was always consistent, always felt like I was missing something.

I'm shocked how much smoother n happy the car is with Bobby Singhs tune.

He estimates 330bhp and 800nm.

Certainly feels that as the other day I got a 3.8 0 60 using brake boost launch control.

Have had 4.4 with a tuning box back in 2016 and low 4s with the dms remap. Flooring it outright is probably in the 4s.

How are you finding the tune?
Yea it had a dark side before but fealt inconsistent and rough like you described with your DMS

Once all was done and settled it hasn't missed a beat and performance is always there. Went to bobby back in June last year I think it was.

Do you have any other mods??
I've not tried brake boosting tbh what's the technique

I spoke to bobby about the hybrid turbo and 400+bhp upgrade but funds don't allow at present but when/if they do I'll only go to him

I
The ZF8 in my previous XF was apparently sealed for life according to Jaguar, but ZF themselves said it should be around 60k miles to change the fluid and pan with integrated filter.
Im gonna do it just incase I think. Even tho I'm only under 40k it's been mapped for over half its mileage

I

Im gonna do it just incase I think. Even tho I'm only under 40k it's been mapped for over half its mileage

Sounds sensible. I mind there's a special procedure involved, I think it's on the ZF site but I got my local Jaguar indy to do it. My shifts weren't as smooth, especially when cold.

I also asked to get the old sump back so I could open it up. It was stinking as if the fluid had been ******. The magnets and sump were covered in what was like a metallic paste which was worrying. I've got photos kicking around somewhere if you are interested.

I think mine was at around 75k miles when done, possibly too late as it was still a little rough after the fluid change.

Reactions: AshleyZJ
Sounds sensible. I mind there's a special procedure involved, I think it's on the ZF site but I got my local Jaguar indy to do it. My shifts weren't as smooth, especially when cold.

I also asked to get the old sump back so I could open it up. It was stinking as if the fluid had been ******. The magnets and sump were covered in what was like a metallic paste which was worrying. I've got photos kicking around somewhere if you are interested.

I think mine was at around 75k miles when done, possibly too late as it was still a little rough after the fluid change.

Kit I bought and document mechanic used

Attachments

• ZF_SI_Oelwechselkit_8HP (50130 EN 04.2016).pdf
    714 KB · Views: 82
Had mine done by my local VW mechanic. All good , all clean inside. No issues. Feel better now done. Cost me £400 all in genuine zf kit