252 Petrol or 272 Diesel Avant?

phil-LFC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Moving from a BMW 5 Series Touring soon and the A4 Avant seems to tick all the right boxes.

However, there's a few decisions we have to make, most important being petrol or diesel. I like the idea of the 272bhp diesel but I've looked at the costs over 4 years of ownership (on a PCP) and with the reduced purchase price of the petrol but less mpg, it is working out pretty much the same cost overall! This is based on our average yearly mileage of 13,000. One thing I'm slightly concerned about is how quickly they warm up, as I often leave for work at 3 or 4 in the morning, for a 17 mile commute, however I'll be speccing heated seats and steering wheel, so this might not be such an issue. Another thing I don't know too much about is the S-Tronic/Tiptronic gearboxes. Our 5 has the superb 8 speed ZF box, but it's only a 2.0D. It is not bad for power and economy, but is a little "gruff". We had an A3 Sportback a few years ago and the 2 litre diesel in that was far superior for refinement.

Coming from BMW, I have a pet hate, and that is RunFlats. They ruin the ride over potholes/drain covers etc, and ours is an SE. I test drove an A4 Avant 2.0tdi S-Line last week on 19" wheels/Sports Suspension and was pleasantly surprised compared to the BM. There was a bit of road noise though, but as I value comfort quite highly, I will go for the S-Line (for looks/spec) with 18" wheels, and some kind of comfier suspension. This confuses me a little. If I go for an S-Line, what is the difference between the two adaptive options, "Adaptive Comfort Suspension with damping control" or "Adaptive Sports Suspension with damping control"? From the brochure I realise the former lowers the suspension by 10mm, the latter 20mm. I could just go for standard Comfort Suspension but I'm a bit concerned that it will look a little high. As I said I'm after comfort primarily, without sacrificing the looks too much, and I do like a good B road blast now and again. Would the Adaptive Comfort Suspension go from (almost - as it's 10mm lower) Standard Comfort setting to Sports setting/a further 10mm lower? And does the Adaptive Sports go from Sports to even harder???

I have always loved the idea of a Panoramic roof, but my wife doesn't like "rattly sunroofs" as she puts it! I need to find out if the Pan roof affects headroom very much. I like a fairly high up driving position (which is another reason I prefer the A4 over the 3 Series), but the car I test drove seemed quite tight on headroom with it's Pan roof. Would there be much more room without it? (I would go and have a play in different cars at my local dealer but they are abysmal - they either ignore you or some young "financial" salesman tries to sell you something whilst lining his pockets with as much of your cash as he can, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about the cars. The last one showed me the car in the showroom and said it has "adjustable seats, child locks and all that stuff" - and then went on to say "Oh I really love the smell of them inside" - honestly! I need to find a better dealer).

One final question is regarding the seats. I like the idea of half leather but worry about the practicality. Are they easy enough to clean? I know leather is great for that, but again I value comfort and I think cloth or suede seat bases are comfier).

Another reason I think we'll be going for the A4 is that there seem to be some great deals on them at the moment, looking on CarWow, with discounts of up to 17% and 3.9% APR on PCP's!

Sorry for the very long post, I haven't been on here for a few years, since we had the A3, but I like this forum, and hopefully you'll help me decide between petrol or diesel and a few other choices!

Phil

13K go Petrol.
As for adaptive comfort, I think that went away with MY18

Haven't read all above ......272 all the way to the bank they drive superb
Buy the car you want not the one you can afford,I know that sounds mad but regret lasts along time......I've been there before .

Reactions: syed123
I have a 272 and would highly recommend it;

I have never had an issue with warming up and the heated steering wheel is really pleasant in the winter months.
I think there is an auxillary heater which provides heat before the engine is warm.

The tiptronic in 272 is a ZF box and is very well matched to the engine and is a very refined package, I have done about 9k in mine now and economy is improving a 50 mile run last week on A roads and I had an indicated 51 mpg. Overall I am doing just shy of 40.

I have sports adaptive suspension with 19" wheels on my sline and its fine. I use comfort most of the time but on very windy roads the sports setting really improves the handling. In sports it is firm but not uncomfortable. I don't know the difference with adaptive comfort but I expect its even softer, trouble is in the comfort setting handling is less reassuring. I find the comfort setting on the adaptive sports perfectly comfortable. The sports setting is what you need for the B road blast though.

I had a demo car with sunroof and I found it much worse for headroom so I left that out of the spec.

I have the half leather and half alcantara and I find it much more comfortable than all leather as well as less noticeable when the seat is cold or very warm. So far it has worn well and there are no marks.

Thanks all.

Just had a play on the configurator and it does seem that Adaptive Sports is the only option now, that's one less decision to make then!

Buy the car you want not the one you can afford,I know that sounds mad but regret lasts along time......I've been there before .

Absolutely!

hmy7k - thanks for the long reply. Interesting regrading the sunroof, I'll have a look tomorrow. I've arranged a couple of test drives tomorrow.
I'll try out the leather/alcantara too.

2-1 to diesel at the moment.....

I also have the 272 saloon but mapped at 13k miles, and can agree with the other 272 owners on here.

It drives beautifully and on the motorway with the B&O sound system it just feels unmatched in the class it sits in ( the merc c c220cdi amg line feels awful in comparison, (no offence to merc fans) even the drive on my a3 tdi mapped was in a diff league it) baby a8 It feels like, most likely due to the v6.‎

I would defo go for the adaptive sport but the only downside is with having 19s is the road noise as they can generate a fair amount of tyre roar on bad surfaces, other than that I'd say the ride is magic carpet like smooth.
A friend had a 252tfsi back in Sept 16 as a courtesy and that was one gutsy engine, it was very quick for what it was but didn't have that wafty feel the 272 gives you. It was remarkably refined but did sound a tad strained when worked hard.
I could also say the engine was a teeny bit quiter as it was petrol but I may be saying this cause the 272 sounds like a beast on the move,have a weird feeling that they've added a sound generator as the whooshing humming sound is very easy on the ears ;)

Go for the 272!

Last edited:
I have a 252. Previously I had B8 218 S Line on 19" rims, the ride was quite harsh particularly over bumpy roads. Even with sports suspension the B9 is a lot softer and more refined. MPG wise I get 24/25 on short journeys around town, which are 90% of my journeys. On a run with a light foot I've managed 42, mind you I was driving like Aunt Daisy on Sunday afternoon.

Can comment on the 272 as I've not driven one, but I did have a test drive in a 218. To be honest there wasn't much between the 218 and 252, for me the petrol just had the edge as it felt smoother, quieter and quicker to me.

I have a 218 and find the passive sport suspension really bad. Very fidgety even on motorways.

Tick comfort or adaptive for sure.

I also have the passive sports and wouldn't have it any other way. Nice and serene on motorways however my car doesn't have a heavy diesel v6 out front. So with all these differences in opinion it might be better to ignore us all and road test them for yourself....

....cause the 272 sounds like a beast on the move,have a weird feeling that they've added a sound generator as the whooshing humming sound is very easy on the ears ;)
‎Go for the 272!
That's making me want the 272!

MPG wise (252) I get 24/25 on short journeys around town, which are 90% of my journeys. On a run with a light foot I've managed 42, mind you I was driving like Aunt Daisy on Sunday afternoon.

Can comment on the 272 as I've not driven one, but I did have a test drive in a 218. To be honest there wasn't much between the 218 and 252, for me the petrol just had the edge as it felt smoother, quieter and quicker to me.
So the 272 should be pretty good compared to the 252 if the 218 was close?!

So with all these differences in opinion it might be better to ignore us all and road test them for yourself....
This shows how subjective this is as I never found mine fidgety.

lol, you're both dead right! I shouldn't have posted such a subjective question. Seriously though, I really appreciate all the feedback, its very interesting and far better than the rubbish I read in magazines/online reviews. I'm testing a 252 and a 272 tomorrow, I'll post my findings here so as to give something back to this ace forum.

So the 272 should be pretty good compared to the 252 if the 218 was close?!

lol, you're both dead right! I shouldn't have posted such a subjective question. Seriously though, I really appreciate all the feedback, its very interesting and far better than the rubbish I read in magazines/online reviews. I'm testing a 252 and a 272 tomorrow, I'll post my findings here so as to give something back to this ace forum.

The 272 (saloon) has 268bhp/600nm and does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (I've seen it do 5.1 on this YT channel Auditography

The 252 (avant) has 252 and 400nm of torque? think I'm correct and does 0 60 in 5.7 seconds? although I've seen another vid on YT that shows the saloon version doing 0 60 in 5.3..

I'm confident that both cars can achieve a sub 5 second 0 60 time if they were mapped, mine is doing it in around 4.7 flat out but around 4.3 (seen 4.2) using LC.

What really swayed me toward the 272 was the torque though! meant to be pushing around 320bhp and 700nm. Not trying to show off my mods but if you do get the 272 u will want to unleash it further ;)

If the 252 is a detuned S3 engine, I'm confident that that would be a rocket too!

Reactions: phil-LFC
Go for the 272. I've come from a 5.0 Touareg R50 and a 335D X-drive before that and the 272 is so much more refined. The B&O is a must though, way better that the HK in the beemer.

The 272 I test drove was great. I just wanted a bit more economy hence the 218.

Well I had my test drives today.....

Tested the 252 Petrol first. It is very quick and sounds really good for a 4 cylinder. Very smooth too.

272 Diesel - wow, what a beast! It is extremely quiet, smooth and fast. Together with much better economy than the petrol and the low down power/torque I think it's going to be my choice. The only negative, and this is debatable, is the current talk about diesels, but as it's Euro 6 and if I have it on a PCP with a GFV, I'm covering myself somewhat if the diesel market crashes. The only other thing is that it is a bit more expensive to purchase but as I mentioned in my original post, this evens out over 4 years anyway. As a bonus, searching on CarWow, the best discount I've found is 17.1% on the diesel, 15% on the petrol. The used ones I tested are tempting, but they are never the exact spec you want, plus the finance deals are much better on new.

So unless I get bombarded with "Petrol is best" posts, I think it's going to be the 272 Diesel.

I also found it a beautiful car to drive, better overall than my 5 Series Touring. It was on 19" wheels and Sports Suspension, and whilst there was a little road noise and a bit of fidgeting over rough surfaces, I wasn't having to avoid drain covers like I do in the Beemer. In fact I was purposely going over them and they were no problem. I will still go for 18" and Adaptive Sports Suspension though when I order. Just need to finalise the spec now, but I'm going to give the Pan roof a miss, as the headroom is much better without it, as someone mentioned on here. Going to spec the car up with loads of other stuff though, there's some great packs and interesting stuff to add! I know it'll push the price up quite high, but with those discounts it brings it back down to a decent price for such a brilliant all round car. Just wish I didn't have to wait until October :anguished:

Reactions: hmy7k, DEWCATI, syed123 and 1 other person
Join the 272's I don't know anyone who's bought one as been disappointed ,nice to try back to back though

It's that effortless low down torque that dose it for me ...good luck with final decision.

Yep, pretty much decided on the 272 now.

Opinions on these options would be interesting from you owners.....

1. Tour Driver Assistance Pack

2. Nappa Leather seats (I believe the side bolsters are also heated if leather is optioned?)

3. Parking Assistance Pack

4. Traffic Sign recognition

5. HUD

6. Ad Blue 24 litre upgrade

7. Extended warranties

8. GAP insurance

Still deciding on the above options, but will definitely go for Daytona or Scuba Blue, Standard S-Line 18", Matrix LED's, Electric Memory Seats/mirrors, Privacy/Acoustic glass, Piano Black Inlays, Heated S/Wheel, Extended Interior LED Lights, Storage Pack, Comfort & Sound Pack, Adaptive Sports Suspension, Technology Pack.
That's a lot of boxes to tick which means a lot of extra money, but the discounts available will alleviate some of this.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Not fussed with 2&5 put that's a personal opinion. Options are a pain though, I could quickly add on 6-7K to start.
Incidentally I'm testing both cars on Saturday back to back.

Get gap from a separate company Audi charge more than double normally.

Quite, mine cost £165 over three years, first year deferred as my insurance policy has a total vehicle replacement scheme in the first year in the event of the car being written off...

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Sitting here ready to try the 252. Turns out computer at audi says they have discontinued the engine ????

Yes and they have one due to be built in a couple of weeks which they would of used for the basis of mine. This apparently wont be built now. Luckly the v6 272 was a cracking test drive

Blimey. Glad I preferred the 272 now too.

Although I'm now considering the S4, especially after watching some YouTube videos, it sounds awesome. But my practical head tells me to go with the diesel, we have a little "weekend" sports car for our speed fix! But the S4 is very tempting, so I've just fired off a quote request from CarWow, so it'll be interesting to see what the offers are like compared to the 272....

Did you test drive them both back to back in the end then?

Didn't bother with the 252 in the end. I csn imagine how it drives. Good performance but needing higher revs. The 272 was so lazy with all that torque

An s4 will probs work out cheaper cause of the extra kit it comes with as standard and the higher GFV on pcp

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Don't tell me things like that! I'd pretty much decided on the 272 but the S4 keeps nagging at me! My main concern is nickability of an S4, is that something to worry about?

Funnily enough I've been playing around with carwow. Unless I want to travel a lot of miles (380+ to inverness)I would need about 5K extra for an S4 3K with the travelling. Even then that's being careful with the options list. My local dealers would only discount 2.5K on an S4 (saloon, although would rather have the Avant which is even more money). If your lucky the S4 might get near the price of an 272 but theres no comparison for me. Bear in mind I want a decent amount of options not to mention the frequent trips to the filling station.

The 272 stands at £530 pm with 1500 down (6K options) for the Sline Avant

As for nick ability. Don't let that make your choice. Worth saying though the 272 could just be a 190 Tdi to anyone looking. Much more Q car than an S

I looked at the 272 Avant but as you can see from signature ended up ordering an S4 - I used Orangewheels and Carwow and got somewhere near 15% off. The PCP is £525 with 2k down - very similar to a 272. As mileage isn't an issue to me it was a no brainer. Only 50 miles from home as well which clinched it - original deal I nearly went with was 250 miles away but would still have been worth it. Local garage could only do 2k off and told me to snap the hand off the dealer offering that deal!

Still confused Simon!

Don't think we're going to go for the S4, so now it's between the 218 and 272 diesels. This is due to the different gearboxes, but I still can't figure out which one is best after reading loads of stuff online. I don't want to go for the higher powered diesel at the expense of a smoother (?) gearbox. (The Parkers article you put a link to mentioned the gearbox not being great in the 272).
I originally tested the 190 diesel and was very impressed by the power, so going for the 218 would more than likely be powerful enough, and smoother to boot. Plus it's £1900 cheaper and a bit more economical. Don't think I'd have any hesitation going for that if there wasn't a 272 available...but there is!???
So I'm hoping to arrange test drives this Saturday of the 218 and the 272.
I'll report my findings!...

Last edited:
Just offering my pennys worth. I test drove a 2.0tdi s tronic and I bought the 3.0tdi tiptronic. They both feel very smooth and fast to me in automatic. I didn't really test out manual shifts because the test drive was quite short. A big factor for me though was other forum members informing me that the s tronic gear box is quite complicated compared with the traditional torque converter of the tiptronic, and should it break it would cost a lot more to repair than the tiptronic. This only matters if you plan to keep the car after pcp though like me and the car is out of warranty.

Surely you'd buy an extended warranty if you were keeping the car beyond its pcp?

Phil

Only driven the tiptronic once but it was silky smooth and quick in various modes. I wouldn't get too hung up on one article. The Stronic has been touted as jerky in slow manoeuvres and can be caught out. Some people don't find this so the whole thing is personal perception.
The S Tronic allows quicker shifts apparently. I'd never know and I've tried them both.

Never had a moments regret about buying the tiptronic, I also have a an stronic(DSG) Golf and there is little to choose betweeen them in terms of smoothness.

Excellent, thanks chaps

I guess it's easy to get caught up in all the negativity about certain aspects, i.e. Gearbox, Lag issues etc, but you'd never buy any car if you read up on every prospective purchase, as there will always be something.

Forums like this are ace, but I'm a sucker for worrying about things once I read about them, but it's normally a minority complaining. I bet if I asked a random number of 272 owners (not Forum members) how they find their car they'd probably nearly all say it's brilliant, which it is, but we keep looking for faults!

Anyway, so I'm now swaying back towards the 272! Think I'll still arrange another test drive this weekend and take the wife along, I'm sure she'll think it's great. She drives the 2.0d 5 Series but finds it a bit slow unless it's in Sport mode, so I reckon she'll love the 272.

Thanks for all of your input, I'll get there in the end!

Yes, forums are biased towards those who have 'issues', although a forum is a goid place to research we seem always to pick out the bad things and somehow miss all the posts that say positivez.
At the end of the day it is still a mass produced car, although, in my opinion, technically engineered above other more common manufacturers, therefore it will still have its foibles like any else...