24JSeymour Sprint Blue S3 Project Thread

Exactly.

As a means of identifying a faulty injector,it works fine,and has obviously done the job very nicely for you there.

One tuner used a flow bench like this a few yrs back to support a claim relating to their injector flow compared to others and came a bit unstuck as the pressures were as you said,about 10% or less of what they should have been,and the flow rates were therefore completely wrong.

Glad your car is sorted out now,and should be back to full health.

Quick update time, nothing major
Ive just been enjoying the car running properly but last week i booked to go over to the ring again over August bank hol so ive got a few jobs to do in preparation.

Last week i got a cruise control stalk from TPS as im doing the tunnel this time instead of the hull ferry so alot more driving. Still waiting for that to be fitted

Then onto sorting the brakes out, new front rotors and pads alll round, going with the 362mm AP Racing grooved rotors instead of drilled.
And ive put some mintex M1155 pads in the front and replaced the rears with ferodo DS2500's from AKS Tuning

And the Sachs performance Clutch arrived today along with an LUK DMF so ill have to get that fitted when i get some free time

0892f8e408b7024498c47e39eac60661.jpg

Oh and ive been trying to cure a knock i get over bumps at slow speed, everything seems tight and no play but i took the front shocks off to check the top mounts and while they were off i got bored so removed the 'turbo muffler' and took it into work and went at it with some JB Weld to fill in the holes so its just a straight pipe now,
Intrested to see what difference that makes if any...
bd1de1ac89ae92fd357ab238140102f8.jpg

Reactions: Hookmonster, S3Alex and S.
Good work with the car, you are getting properly stuck into it! Always helps to have plenty of space to tinker with it; nice scissor jack/ramps or whatever they are called. Where can one get those? :nogarors4:

Good work with the car, you are getting properly stuck into it! Always helps to have plenty of space to tinker with it; nice scissor jack/ramps or whatever they are called. Where can one get those? :nogarors4:

Cheers! Yeah definitely having the right place with the right tools definitely makes working on your car alot more enjoyable, its an automotech mid lift ramp so lifts about 1 meter so spot on for doing brakes/suspension work
It lifts by the sills/chassis rails so leaves all 4 wheels dangling which makes life easier
It's hydraulic and permanently in place, you can get them sunk into the floor etc and they also do a full height one but costs a fair bit more. Im happy sliding along on an office chair underneath haha!
b8163fb9f450bd29a492245ddaa0e5f9.jpg

Reactions: S.
Cheers! Yeah definitely having the right place with the right tools definitely makes working on your car alot more enjoyable, its an automotech mid lift ramp so lifts about 1 meter so spot on for doing brakes/suspension work
It lifts by the sills/chassis rails so leaves all 4 wheels dangling which makes life easier
It's hydraulic and permanently in place, you can get them sunk into the floor etc and they also do a full height one but costs a fair bit more. Im happy sliding along on an office chair underneath haha!
b8163fb9f450bd29a492245ddaa0e5f9.jpg

Serious respect for your "man-cave" there!

What's in store for the MX-5?

Serious respect for your "man-cave" there!

What's in store for the MX-5?

Just a little restoration going on to have some fun in on sunny days and car shows etc,
ive had it 3 years now and this summer is the first time its been on the road.
Currently at 250bhp waiting till winter then ill pull the engine out again and forge it and will make around 300-350ish
dd2ce0efad9bd4c6fb908b9e041cf1a3.jpg

eadc9dd4910e58582fd3718821640357.jpg

c5fc3ddd3461f82817fb738f34cad1b2.jpg

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
Just a little restoration going on to have some fun in on sunny days and car shows etc,
ive had it 3 years now and this summer is the first time its been on the road.
Currently at 250bhp waiting till winter then ill pull the engine out again and forge it and will make around 300-350ish
dd2ce0efad9bd4c6fb908b9e041cf1a3.jpg

eadc9dd4910e58582fd3718821640357.jpg

c5fc3ddd3461f82817fb738f34cad1b2.jpg

Brilliant.

That must be such good fun,and with 300+bhp it ought to be a riot to drive.
My son keeps toying with the idea of one for summertime,and we've had a look at a few but now that he's bought a house it looks like one for the back-burner.

Great project......add a few updates maybe when you get around to the engine please.....

ce985ea75485e159fc7189a1f58afaea.jpg

e3a27a30ff48f17e73156473d9bf6d00.jpg

Disks assembled with new AP grooved rotors, no more brake judder
The cars still got a knock when going over cats eyes etc from the drivers side but i cant find any play in anything
Ill have to dig deeper when do the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hookmonster, S3Alex and HHS3
Epic car this, love the colour.

Did you get to the bottom of the knock? I suspect might be similar to mine - which I think is my rack :(

A friend has a boosted mx5 putting out around the 260 mark and I can't get near it ! It is a proper weapon

Epic car this, love the colour.

Did you get to the bottom of the knock? I suspect might be similar to mine - which I think is my rack :(

Not yet, think mine might be the rack too
Cant feel any play anywhere though

Well spent yesterday afternoon down at the local lookers VW garage where my mate works and they were kind enough to let me use a ramp, so got the clutch in, the original audi one was shot! I was surprised it was the stock clutch tbh as it has held stage 2+ power for a good while but it was practically down to the rivets
683c6d0e439e08e7c5e3c069d462afc5.jpg

1e4d290e41c2498952c6aade500a5476.jpg

ad2b21ff49536894ee44fc82f0d7dabc.jpg

The new sachs performance one is stiffer by a long way, maby a nuisance in everyday stop start traffic but feels 100% better when driving on WOT which is what the car is used for...

Reactions: S3Alex, HHS3, kash_v and 2 others
Is it on or off with the new sach?

Regards to the rack, if it is that will you be getting a gen 3 rack?

Is it on or off with the new sach?

Regards to the rack, if it is that will you be getting a gen 3 rack?

Its not too bad its not snatchy like a paddle clutch, just with the pedal being stiffer it wants to spring up alot harder which makes it bite harder if that makes sense, i stalled the car reversing it off the ramp as the bite point was a lot further down and the pedal just flew up haha! Wasn't expecting it at all

Im not sure about the rack yet i need to do some research and see whats what, and try to identify for sure that it is the rack causing the knock which is pretty impossible

Reactions: kash_v
Nice update mate, it is quite nice of the garage to let you use the ramp. Were you allowed to work on the car along with your mate? I ask because my mate's dad is a Mercedes technician and they won't allow anyone but the employee to be on the workshop floor even if it is the employee's or mate's personal car. Nice wheels too! Are they 18" Pro-race 1.3s? If so what is the offset and other measurements?

Nice update mate, it is quite nice of the garage to let you use the ramp. Were you allowed to work on the car along with your mate? I ask because my mate's dad is a Mercedes technician and they won't allow anyone but the employee to be on the workshop floor even if it is the employee's or mate's personal car. Nice wheels too! Are they 18" Pro-race 1.3s? If so what is the offset and other measurements?

Yeah i was allowed in, we had to do it out of work hours so we were the only people in the workshop only the showroom was open

The wheels are 19's i can't remember the width and offest i think 8 ET40 something

Yeah i was allowed in, we had to do it out of work hours so we were the only people in the workshop only the showroom was open

The wheels are 19's i can't remember the width and offest i think 8 ET40 something

Ah out of hours makes sense. Cheers for the wheel specs.

Ah out of hours makes sense. Cheers for the wheel specs.

He's actually running 19'' 8.5J ET45 TD 1.3's, I only know this as I was going to ask a question myself but then saw the specs on the first page.

Reactions: DJ_26
Yeahhh i was close enough..... hahaha!
Knew it was in this thread somewhere

Yeahhh i was close enough..... hahaha!
Knew it was in this thread somewhere

No it wasn't a bad guess to be fair!

How does the S3 deal with WOT? It isn't something I've thought of doing with it, I'm on the standard clutch and I'm weary of killing that or the next weakest link.

So on friday i went to Richard Martin Automotive Soloutions to get the APR runner flap delete file uploaded to the ECU,
c710574486f903bad05635c9ccfd4fc9.jpg

eba10b5a69764c7004f3395a909d5cfc.jpg

Then went to pay @Tom5190 a visit aa he was kind enough to fit and code my cruise control for me so that's all sorted now, took it for a drive to test it and think i may of made him spend up on stage 2+ parts now... Ooops
d18e1f5e68de73081c8e90b4cf276a7f.jpg

Then yesterday I decided to take the back seats out in preparation for the 'ring trip, going to order a couple of bungee cords to hood luggage in place of the rear seats.
Laid some old carpet down out my clio 182 which just makes it look abit tidier than bare metal and will stop things vibrating, i have left the boot floor in with the jack/warning triangle and first aid kit etc stored underneath.
7da25e9dfb9b89ea2f72bd4c8aac50d7.jpg

61be282002d77fbd52d41fa16f2fc9c4.jpg

Exhaust sounds alot louder now can really hear it pop and burble

New airfiter to replace the old deteriorating ITG, fits alot better with it being slightly smaller
No more rubbing on coolant pipes
02f2a45f899eb05e134027193c491a79.jpg

Reactions: S3Alex and leshkin
Those rear seats weigh about 60kgs all up so it's an easy performance gain to take them out.

Every bit counts,and that new brake setup will lose about 20kgs over the Audi iron.

Mine also has the open-plan look.....

I was surprised by just how heavy the stock brakes are,and the seats.....might be leather but feels like the whole cow is in there.

Reactions: S.
Those rear seats weigh about 60kgs all up so it's an easy performance gain to take them out.

Every bit counts,and that new brake setup will lose about 20kgs over the Audi iron.

Mine also has the open-plan look.....

I was surprised by just how heavy the stock brakes are,and the seats.....might be leather but feels like the whole cow is in there.

Nice! Yeah the foam base never had much weight to it but the backs aren't half a good chunk! Last year i got stuck with the luggage in the car while going round the trackso it was squatting and rubbing a fair bit, so taking the rear seats out will compensate the extra weight just incase that happens again this time

Reactions: S3Alex
Another Josh from the North in an S3!
I had a injector misfire issue too that took a while to find, PITA. Car's looking great, interesting to hear more positive feedback on the H&R ARB setup, I think thats the final straw to persuade me to buy the pair!

The H&R arbs are ****** good , totally transformed my car along with the Whiteline anti lift kit .

When changing my clutch i noticed the selector had worn excessively which was causing huge amounts of play at the gear stick, i actually thought the nut had come loose it was that bad...
So i orderd a short shifter of ebay for £30 which is pretty much identical to the forge one but for less than half the price, and orderd the 42DD cable bushes to eliminate the play thats in the standard rubber bushes.
The end product is just incredible, feels so tight and precise now where as before it was like stirring a pot of soup
3fee3aac75e38cfd201c92b839d7b62f.jpg

Reactions: kash_v, HHS3 and S.
what year is your car, i want to order the bush kit but not sure which one i need ?

Mines 2007, and was the mk4 5/6 speed MY02-05

Look on awesome GTI and that have pictures of what the cables look like so just buy the ones that match yours

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER
Hi Seymour, can you post a link to the short shifter and bushes please? :)

I've gone for the 42D bushings same as you and the for the bracket behind, if it's still no use I'll get that short shifter. Easy to adjust the gear connections once fitted? the only part that's slightly daunting.

I've gone for the 42D bushings same as you and the for the bracket behind, if it's still no use I'll get that short shifter. Easy to adjust the gear connections once fitted? the only part that's slightly daunting.

I never had to adjust anything, i left the cables on the car just popped them off the selector to work on

Reactions: scotty dugg
Awesome car mate. Loving the interior. If you dont mind me asking how much did the interior cost to do?

Good find then!! Looks really nice, you going for big turbo in the future?

Will order those bushes! Thanks for the link mate.

Btw fitted new rack to my s3, it was the rack (knocking on the driver side) ordered a new generation 2 rack (gen vag item) from a v good company called acs power steering for £350(new gen 3 at tps is circa 800). You can go for a gen 3 which is the sameprice, but will need the adaption loom from tps @ £100.

Last edited:
Good find then!! Looks really nice, you going for big turbo in the future?

Id like to but im trying to be sensible and save up for something with more potential rather than plough more money into the S3, want something with Paddles next.. TTRS or GTR or an EVO 10 something along those lines

Reactions: HHS3 and S.