245/35/R19 Tyres

XR4Y

Reaction score
Hi All,
Looking for some advice on new tyres for my A4 2.0 TDI 190 S Tronic Avant.

The car has covered just over 8K miles and the front tyres are already worn (Conti Sport Contact 6's), which I knew when taking delivery weren't going to last for that long mainly due to short journeys and the soft compound.

I'm trying to figure out what is going to be best for the car, on my previous car(s) I had Bridge Stone Potenzas and Michelin variants. I personally find the bridgestones last longer but are too noisy for my liking, the Michelin's seemed OK but not sure how they will wear on the Audi.

If anyone can share there personal preferences / what wear you are getting would be great. I've read the reviews online but they aren't necessarily based on a specific vehicle etc

Thanks Josh :)

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti have been good for the last 20k ! Decent edge protection too.
I’m happy with them in terms of wet and dry grip / performance!

Reactions: XR4Y
If you want the best road tyre available get the pilot sport 4S's I killed the contis in 4k, got over 12k out of the PS4S's

Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 K117 245/35ZR19 93Y XL AO

The best there is.

Agreed on the Hankook. I’m onto my 3rd (B9 / B9.5) A4 now all supplied with various brands and these tyres have lasted well from new at just over 12k . When it’s time to change the tyres, for me I will stick with this brand

I changed to 255 35 19 better rim protection and cheaper. and the quieter tyres are goodyear eagle asymmetric 5 or 3 or the Hankooks that I previously had. I've driven a4's with all the tyres you mentioned and there noisier in my opinion

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Interesting idea to reduce cost and give better protection...but
If you use wider tyres than standard does that affect things like insurance, warranty etc?
Any clearance issues with suspension parts?
Are they actually a bigger rolling radius so your speedo will be a bit out, or does it not work like that anymore?

Interesting idea to reduce cost and give better protection...but
If you use wider tyres than standard does that affect things like insurance, warranty etc?
Any clearance issues with suspension parts?
Are they actually a bigger rolling radius so your speedo will be a bit out, or does it not work like that anymore?
There's no difference in the rolling radius or any suspension rubbing the tyre size is used on b9 A5. As for insurance I'm not sure. The tyre is just 10mm wider

If you want the best road tyre available get the pilot sport 4S's I killed the contis in 4k, got over 12k out of the PS4S's
^^^^This^^^^
I replaced my Contis with PS4s and they are miles better. Keep an eye out at Cost Co as I got £100 of a set of 4 that were already well priced.

On running 255:

Couldn't do it here as my registration doc (V5C for you not bl@@dy foreigners) is not mentioning that size.

Running sizes not homologated can and will lead one to a fine and a most probable impound of vehicle followed by a compulsory check (MOT for the islanders)

There's no difference in the rolling radius or any suspension rubbing the tyre size is used on b9 A5. As for insurance I'm not sure. The tyre is just 10mm wider

The rollong radius difference is small but there is a difference. 35% of the extra 10mm x 2 = 7mm diameter. ~1%. Almost irrelevant but different. Even the 10mm width is prob within tolerance however if it is a non standard size for the A4 you must tell your insurance about the "modification"

I think that the fact that it is specified in a different model isn't really relevant

Reactions: jds_sg
We always put new tyres on and immediately tell everyone how much quieter they are than the worn ones. Yep probably even the crappest ditchfinders are quieter with 7-8mm tread than the best Michrellicookyears with 2-3mm.
They probably grip better too!

I've got Hankook Evo thingys as OE and just passed 26,000. I have swapped front to rear but can vouch for their lifespan. Still got 3+mm all round. I've been told that the AO specific ones will last longer but ???
As for grip? I'd say the Hankooks have been OK but not stunning. It's difficult to say with a FWD 3 litre diesel but under braking they do exercise the ABS sooner than I'd expect. Michelin on my A5 were superior but pays your money.....

Reactions: jds_sg and SiPie
I'm the same as a few. I highly rate the Hankooks evo. Best tire I have tried yet. Running the same 245 profile. The grip is awesome. 3.0tdi 272.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I have the Hankooks too, 245 width on 19s, but the car has only covered about 5.5K so far so its too early to know how they will wear. Grip is good though and they seem to have good side protection too, and I think are quieter than my previous B9 which had Bridgestone 18s.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people get widely different life out of their tyres. I know a lot of it comes down to driving type and style. Personally I would consider anything much less than about 20K miles a bit of a disaster, usually get much more than this. But this is the first car I have had with 19s though so I may be in for a shock!

Mine lasted half of that, much depends the driving conditions, how the car is driven and if the tracking stays correct. I drive urban all the time and the car has to deal with speed humps which are notorious for pushing out the tracking...

Good words!
Tried Pirelli PZero (NCS), Michelin PS4S, Continental CS6 and Hankooks on the S4.
The Pirelli NCS were unbelievably quiet but extremely hard to find here - preferred overall tyre.
Michelins were very much a drivers tyre with great responsiveness under all normal conditions encountered - however they are far and away the noisiest tyre especially on the ACT's cold mix - REALLY noisy. Pointless having a decent B&O sound system if it can only be appreciated when parked.
The Hankooks were there OEM fitted tyres and having tried everything else I would be most happy to return to them as they did everything pretty darn well and were almost as quiet as the Continentals.
Finally the Continentals - under normal driving conditions and driving quickly but sanely they do everything as well as the Michelins. HOWEVER, they are almost as quiet as the NCS Pirellis and are a much more comfortable tyre to drive with with similar agility to the Michelins.
As I don't drive like a possessed half-wit ... and there are a couple of local RS3 drivers that provide such embarrassing examples of humanity, the Continentals are the current tyre of choice providing everything the Michelins do at a similar cost, but much, much more comfortably - regarding wear - like you I'd be disappointed not to see at least 30k (kms) from a set even though their comfort does come at the small cost of a softer 240 wear rating. I run 41/39 psi under almost all circumstances.
Tyre are so much a personal choice thing and I am glad that I carefully experimented and determined, first-hand what suits us and did not just follow the Michelin path.
Noting the great overall standard of the road surfaces across most of the UK I aim envious but somewhat taken aback at the low mileages being achieved on some tyre choices.
Regarding over size tyres - done the same thing on the SQ5 and some others over time but no wish to do that again. The gains in potentially lesser cost and availability and additional rubber really do not balance out the potential issues with legality/warranty.
Whatever provides you each happy and SAFE motoring is what's best.

Dingah

The Hankooks on mine are R01 not A0. A colleague of mine has the A0, they have a shallower rim protector, probably other differences too. Non R01/A0 Ventus don't have a rim protector at all.

I got 35000 miles from the fronts and 42000 rear but I do drive like Miss Daisy most of the time. I had a pair of Hankook part-worns on the front until the rears were ready. No complaints at all and I now have a fresh set of 4 which will probably last until I get my next car - if I ever make my mind up about what I want!

20180715 Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 K117 24535ZR19 93Y XL AO 1
Yes mine R01 too. The best

I spoke to quite a clued up Conti chap today. As well as insurance and warranty issues, he said that putting wider tyres on the same sized rims actually increases wear rate according to their tests. He said changing the width affects how the sidewall sits and thus how the tyre squirms. An outward angled sidewall (narrow tyre/wide rim) is vastly more stable and helps hugely with wear especially in hard use. Sounds logical I think?
So getting a cheaper bigger tyre may actually end up costing more. But then again 10mm aint alot.

I asked him about AO and the like, he admitted he didn't know but said it was probably emissions such as rolling resistance and less rim protection to reduce drag but that wasn't really his area. He's R & D.

I have always used Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 3/5 in a 255/35/19 fitment on my previous A4 Avant Tfsi Quattro and found them to last for 15k+ miles.

Not had to replace mine on my A4 45Tfsi yet so not sure if wear will be the same as my previous car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hankooks mentioned, next would be the Goodyear eagle asymmetrical 5 or if you want to splash out Michelin PS4’s which are the best.

My 2019 BE has covered just under 7k, and the fronts are now down to 3mm. I have just ordered some PS4’s for the fronts, hopefully get them fitted on Monday.

I’m fascinated how people drive to only get 7 thousand miles from a set !
Are you going drifting every Friday night ? Weekend track days or simply bad geometry?
At that rate I’d need 4 sets a year ***!
I know some tyres are soft but really with standard , every day driving 12 k should be a more reasonable Expectation surely ? Think my worst ever tyre wear on a car ( forester sti ) with good geometry was nearly 12k and I drove that flat out whenever possible !

Constant urban driving is a factor. I drive my car softly with no sudden acceleration or deceleration but the fronts only lasted about 10k....