Rear Fog Light - Mystery

jordann

Reaction score
2003 A3 - 2.0TDI

I'm wondering if someone could shed some light (literally) on an issue i'm having with my rear fog light. I've always thought it was just a bulb out so whilst I was replacing a reverse light yesterday I thought I might as well replace that, when I had the cluster out and was looking for which bulb to buy I noticed that the bulb itself didn't look blown, if anything it looked pretty unused. I replaced the bulb anyway in the hope that it would resolve the issue and when I next get round to getting my car scanned it won't come up as an issue, unfortunately this didn't have any affect, still nothing! All the other bulbs within the cluster work fine, indicators, tail light and brake light, just the fog.

Last night I had a quick look in my fuse box and I couldn't find anything specific to the rear fog's, I don't have front fogs. I've spoken to Audi who said that there isn't a fuse specific to the rear fogs it runs of a control module (J519). All of my other lights work perfectly fine so I wouldn't of thought it'd be the control module, but then again I could be wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and know of a fix, or could point me in the right direction?

Could be your switch on the dash thats faulty.. I'd switch them on and meter test them and make sure your getting voltage to it..

If it bothers you that much.. Ebay sell cheap clusters, but that still might not work if the switch is faulty

Yeap get a multimeter on the wires supplying the rear fog, that will advise categorically.

If voltage is fine, which I doubt, then check the connectors in the bulb holder for corrosion & then dremel clean if there is, if its got no power, then J519 doesn't have fuses directly, it has relays, all fuses are on the side of the dash & under the bonnet on the passenger side.

Thanks guys, I'll give the multimeter a shot first and see what that turns up!

I had an issue with my front and rear fogs not working. Turned out to be one of the connectors in the big bank above the drivers footwell.

You've got to take the trim under the steering wheel off, then look up from the footwell. The bank is behind all of the relays, you can't miss it.

I just unplugged them all, plugged them back in and my fogs returned.

Worth a try!

I had an issue with my front and rear fogs not working. Turned out to be one of the connectors in the big bank above the drivers footwell.

You've got to take the trim under the steering wheel off, then look up from the footwell. The bank is behind all of the relays, you can't miss it.

I just unplugged them all, plugged them back in and my fogs returned.

Worth a try!

Sorry for the delay, work's been pretty busy recently.

That's not a bad shout, I'll give this a try if the multimeter doesn't lead me to the issue.