235/40 18 Tyres

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I've started a new thread as all the existing ones are quite old and out of date.

I need two new tyres soon, and will need another pair in a month or so. I've had Continentals the last few times, they're very good but work at £180 ish fitted..... The only brand I've never really tried are Pirelli's so I'm tempted to have a go with them. Michelin's are too expensive and too soft.

But what else? Vredestein? Yokohama's? I'm not interested in budget tyres, and am happy to spend £120 plus.

What do people recommend? I will try my local place as they're very good to me, but I'd consider buying online and getting them delivered. Are Camskill still as good as anywhere? A mate of mine had a good price from Tesco-tyres, but they didn't seem that competitive to me.

I find pirelli's noisy, well they were on the wife's TT.
I have had 2 sets of Goodyear F1's.
They no longer make the directionals.
My current Tyres are toyo TS1, They have good wet and dry grip, have not check wear rate yet.

I had a couple sets of Falkens, and liked them. Last time I bought tyres I changed to the Vred sessantas and found them very good too. Only did about 8k on them though before trading the car in, but wear looked good. Preferred them over the falkens if I'm honest, but not much in it.

Camskill I find are usually the cheapest when I look. Tyres have gone up in price massively since I last bought a set of 18's though.

i am in the same boat as you i need 2 tyres soon 235/40/18 i have been reading loads of reviews and the tyres that come out best is the vredestein ultrac sasanta i have seen them for £113 each delivered thats what i will be going for . they have some realy good reviews

I've previously used maxxis, absolutely brilliant for the money, never had a problem and they lasted just short of 30k, I'll be getting some more once the crap that came with my new wheels wear out

James i know this is going to go a little off topic but i have recently fitted two Falken 452's, overall i am pleased with the tyre, noise,grip wet and dry and most of all price, i think they are very good value, however i have a strange issue,since fitting the tyres my steering wheel sits off-center! we know it's the tyres because if i change front to back and put the rubber band budgets that were on the wheels when i got them on the front the steering wheel sits central again,strange i know! i am told it is something called "radial spin off", never heard of it myself so for the time being i am running the falkens on the rear but will soon be in your boat and needing two new fronts, i am considering annother set of Falkens as there are loads on here running them with no issues,
Cheers,
Matt

Try Achilles and read some reviews first. I know you've said you won't go for budgets but from what I've heard and experienced, they're to be taken pretty seriously. Mine were £50 each for 225/40/18 so worth investigating!!

I really really really like my Pirelli Zero Rossos in that size in combination with the quattro drive as well. In fact I like them so much in the dry, wet, but even in the snow that I totally forgot to switch my tyres this year :) I had Vredestein Cento before that and whilst I'm normally a fan, I did not like them decent in the rain but utterly useless in snow if it wasn't for the quattro and not that assured in the dry either for a spirited drive.

I most definitely will get Zero Rosso again after this set but....22K miles in and they look barely run in, I should easily get 35K out of them....

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 and Eagle F1s would be top of my list as I've had both before. Good wearing too.
I can't really comment on others mentioned.

Favourite summer tyre for a while has been the Toyo T1-S: fantastic grip in the dry and wet and most importantly, if you do get silly and MAKE them let go (and with >300lb/ft, you can!)... they are very progressive at and over the limit.

In ice/snow, they do get pretty hard and although I've never got close to be'ing stuck, like most summer tyre, they do lose direction/stopping capacity in bucketloads... hence my Vredestein Wintrac's for winter....not 100% sure on wear as I swap them out for the peak of winter, but I know my old T1-R's (softer, even more summer-biased compound) were VERY good in wet and dry, but mediocre on wear, especially during winter.

I just ordered 2 tyres VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA from Camskill, 230£ including delivery;let`s see how good they are :)

Falken 452's have now been replaced by the 453, just paid £560 for 5 (£112 each).......helps when your next door neighbour is the manager of the local Kwik-Fit....

2 best on-line places are Black Circles and Oponeo, Oponeo provided a fantastic service when I bought my Pirelli winters last year...

Have also heard very good reports about the Vredesteins, especially with quattro.....

Camskill sell fk 452 235/40/r18 with 97£ per tyre;a tyre shop asks 15£ for fitting per wheel,so,to the end,is the same price 112£ :)

I just bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres 235 40 18 Rated to 190mph.

I was torn between these and the conti's but I think these are slightly stickyer. Plus they were only rated to 150mph (my car doesn't often, but can go a fair bit over 150 so I was a bit concerned about this)

Cost me £600 delivered for 4 from Camskill.

I know what you mean about budgets, could tell you all a few horry stories haha. I'd go for Barum Bravuris 2 ,Slovakian made. i paid £86 each and fitted them myself. I'd swear by them. Fantastic grip in the wet. You'd have to be going stupid speeds round a roundabout to skid off, I've gone round the same roundabouts faster than I would normally loose grip on my old landsail tyres at 10mph ish.

Or there are some called Riken Maystorm from £66 each including fitting at ATS, they are not chinese, they're Serbian so they are going to be decent, we sell plenty at work too.

Last edited:
Ashihara.....

My price of £112 fitted (and he is also going to do a full alignment free of charge as well!) if for the new 453 which has replaced the 452 which won't be available for much longer as Falken don't make them anymore so places like Camskill will be clearing their stock....

Quattrojames, If I remember correctly, Oponeo prices are now for the 453 as well, when I checked last month they didn't have 452's left in stock (they are based in europe so tend to get the new spec tyres about a month ahead of the UK).....

I am in the same situation looking at getting some new tyres soon. Car is currently on Pirelli P Zero Rossi's and P Zero Nero's. Were on it when car was brought. Having a look at Falken myself after having 452s on my previous car though I may try the 912 instead.

falkens are good, never tried them but most folk are very happy with them. not bad prices either

Falken 452's for me fantastic tyres and fantastic price too got mine from camskill

just put a pair of p-zero nero on focus and seem v good so far, got conti on s4 and cant fault them. without getting into a massive debate you have to think about what you want from them and how much you are willing to spend, you do tend to get what you pay for as believe me being responsible for a fleet of vehicles from cars right through to artics this tends to always be the case

I recentley sold some wheels that i had on my a3 for around two weeks. they were running Falken 452's all round and yes superb tyre all round in my opinion. value for money is also a bonus with the falkens, but i changed my wheels and the new ones came with brand new kumho KU39 and all i can say is WOW, they are truly superb and the road noise compared to the falkens is emence(same size tyres as the falkens). they are a tad more expensive but defo worth it. or theres the F1 asymetrics which from experience are even better but then again more expensive.

I have just noticed the Kumho 39 and at only £10 more than the Falken think I might get them as all the reviews I can find put them better than the Falkens.

Thanks guys, some useful input there.

I'm off to the tyre shop tomorrow to see what their prices are looking like...

Well it looks like buying online and getting them fitted is the way to go, £12.50 plus vat to fit, new valve and balance.

This place always used to give me a good deal, they used to be very competitive but have recently changed hands and I'm not so sure now:

Falken 452's £147.
Yokohama Advan Sport £158
Pirelli Rosso £162

Just need to decide what to get and from where now!

I just ordered 2 tyres VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA from Camskill, 230£ including delivery;let`s see how good they are :)

Been very impressed with my 4 since they went on my s4 in oct,and still wearing very well.

I had 452's on my s3 prior to this, they were fine in the dry but wore to quickly and were poor in the wet.

Well it looks like buying online and getting them fitted is the way to go, £12.50 plus vat to fit, new valve and balance.

This place always used to give me a good deal, they used to be very competitive but have recently changed hands and I'm not so sure now:

Falken 452's £147.
Yokohama Advan Sport £158
Pirelli Rosso £162

Just need to decide what to get and from where now!

of those 3 it would have to be the rossos all day long

I agree, especially with the prices so close to each other. Saying that I had my Rosso's fitted for £165 each at RotationUK, but that was last August.

Which one's have you gone with James?

Just ordered mine...
Falken 452's 235/45/17 from Oponeo £89 each

Will see how good they are when they arrive next week

(got an electrical issue now though, so hope this aint a biggy after splashing the cash on tyres)

My tyres came yesterday;i paid another 30£ for fitting,so the end price was 260£.

My previos tyres was rosso`s,very happy with them,but now too expansive,around 175£ per corner including fitting.

I've dragged this out a bit ..... but these came today from Camskill, £140 each delivered. I wasn't really happy going with anything less than a premium brand. Fitting tomorrow. Two more next month!

IMG-20120705-00030.jpg

they are nice tyres i put some on the front 6 weeks ago and not had any reason to dought them wet or dry fast or slow, i also have just put some yokohama advan sports on the back and all is good only fault well thing i have with the yokos are the lack or rim protector the pirellis are much bigger.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I am getting close having to replace the front pair but will go to zero rosso again...
I've dragged this out a bit ..... but these came today from Camskill, £140 each delivered. I wasn't really happy going with anything less than a premium brand. Fitting tomorrow. Two more next month!

IMG-20120705-00030.jpg

£12 each to fit, wasn't too bad I didn't think.

I agree about the rim protector, it's very generous. Apologies for the phone pic, but you get the idea.

IMG-20120706-00035.jpg