400bhp S3!

JoshG93

Reaction score
If you were hoping for pictures of a beast, sorry to disappoint.
Its not yet built, but I shall be building it soon.

Just looking for general advice really from big power S3 owners.
400bhp is the ideal figure, I know this is gonna take a lot of money, but I really want to do it.
I've trawled pretty much every forum but I would love direct answers to my questions.

So;

Turbo. I'm going for the GT3071r.

Exhaust is milltek cat back at the mo & 3 inch decat and down pipe. I think this is sufficient.

Inlet Manifold, Im thinking this - 034Motorsport High Flow Intake Manifold, Transverse 1.8T, Small Port - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen - but the large port option. Not sure on throttle body?

Intercooler is forge. Think that name speaks for itself.

Integrated Engineering Rods I'm thinking. Do I really need to buy lower compression ratio pistons?
Will the crank take the power? Do I need to increase bore size? This kindly leads onto the next bit...

Will I need a large port head? Supertech valve gear I've heard is also the way forward?

Do I need to upgrade my cams aswell?

Do I need to put in an inline fuel pump? What kind of injectors have people gone for? Also what size? 4bar fpr is a must also isn't it?

Clutch, gearbox. Got all that sorted.

Intake - got a 3inch silicone pipe and pipercross filter with cold air feed.
will probably have to change this to custom with the new turbo.

Thats all all I can think of at the min, I'm sure I've forgotten most things. Please feel free to remind me :)
All feedback/advice is welcome. If I've for something wrong, anything like that. Labour is free as I'm a mechanic if you were wondering. Thanks again. :)

change the miltek and the intercooler.
large port...yes
no need for pistons...but, depends on condition of your block and whether you need it bored out.
cams... no real need
valvetrain...depends what size gt30, but not essential
inline pump...yes
biggest intake you can physically fit
550 or 630 injectors dependant on fuel pressure

Reactions: S3Alex
Turbo. I'm going for the GT3071r.
What hotside? internal or external gate?... what manifold? to get anywheare near 400hp on a GT3071 you will need to go external gate and tubular merge collector manifold

Exhaust is milltek cat back at the mo & 3 inch decat and down pipe. I think this is sufficient.
Its not... milltek back box is restrictive at 400hp

Inlet Manifold, Im thinking this - 034Motorsport High Flow Intake Manifold, Transverse 1.8T, Small Port - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen - but the large port option. Not sure on throttle body?
Should be ok... fitting one to a TT with a GT35
You can use the std 60mm TB or o up one to a 70mm TB... 80mm TB is not required realistically... you will also need to consider the charge pipe work too (63mm ideal)

Intercooler is forge. Think that name speaks for itself.
Assuming its the std S3 one they do then its ****... only just about good enough for stg2 power and even then with its 51mm outlets its not worth the hassle or the expense... use an AH Fabs V2 or welly cooler

Integrated Engineering Rods I'm thinking. Do I really need to buy lower compression ratio pistons?
Make sure they are rifle drilled... no need for lower comp pistons... JE 9.25:1 will be fine if you plan to rebuild the engine

Will the crank take the power? Do I need to increase bore size? This kindly leads onto the next bit...
Crank is forged and will take 600-700 odd hp without issue... only need to increase the bore if fitting new pistons... if rebuilding the engine then spend another 500 quid and go stroker

Will I need a large port head? Supertech valve gear I've heard is also the way forward?
Big turbo needs revs to make best power... large port and full supertech valve gear is recommended

Do I need to upgrade my cams aswell?
Not really no

Do I need to put in an inline fuel pump? What kind of injectors have people gone for? Also what size? 4bar fpr is a must also isn't it?
Inline pump yes... I used Bosch 550's at 4bar on mine. Bosch 750's at 3bar can also be used

Clutch, gearbox. Got all that sorted.
What clutch?

Intake - got a 3inch silicone pipe and pipercross filter with cold air feed.
will probably have to change this to custom with the new turbo.

76mm is prob too small... 90mm or 100mm would be better along with and RS4 MAF tube

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3Alex, Clart and superkarl
I've been asking the same questions because its the route I'm going with mine but its going to be stripped out and lose as much weight as poss

After reading a lot of build threads don't forget a wad of cash to fix the thing that start to brake with the increase in power.

Tufty....

Turbo - Im not sure.. To be honest I looked at BHP specs of the turbos and this one said it would gain 400. I've been in touch with Garret but they haven't got back to me yet. What's the best options!?

Exhaust - what's the better option?

Inlet manifold - yeah sound. Was gonna upgrade the TB to 70mm

Intercooler - sound. Did think Forge would be good. How wrong I am lol.

Rods- sound, rifle drilled it is.

Crank - I thought that, heard they were forged. I've heard about stroker, not exactly sure what it is? Lol

Clutch - I thought about Single mass.. But heard they can be bad for the box. Was gonna try Sachs Dual mass and clutch kit with standard box.

Intake - anything you can recommend?

Thanks for the advice mate.

Thanks mate. I'll give it a good read. I'll probably still bombard you with questions.

Also, thanks superkarl. :)

Reactions: superkarl
Turbo - Im not sure.. To be honest I looked at BHP specs of the turbos and this one said it would gain 400. I've been in touch with Garret but they haven't got back to me yet. What's the best options!?

GT3071r from Owens Developments... the HTA version they do is better tbh and will do 400hp easily but is more expensive...
Owen Developments - Garrett GT3071R

Personally I would use a Tial v-band hotside, 0.63 AR... TSR tubular manifold, Tial MVR 44mm wastegate... you will need to fabricate oil and coolant lines and also the downpipe/wastegate setup... although TSR do a matching downpipe too... not sure how good it is or how well it fits though

Exhaust - what's the better option?
Custom realistically... check out my build thread from page 54 for the latest stuff...

Crank - I thought that, heard they were forged. I've heard about stroker, not exactly sure what it is? Lol
Crank from a 2ltr TFSI engine... fits the 1.8t once the oil pump drive has been changed... longer stroke than 1.8t and coupled with 82.5mm stroker pistons gives better low down torque and better spool

If you build a new engine get the crank etc fully balanced..

Clutch - I thought about Single mass.. But heard they can be bad for the box. Was gonna try Sachs Dual mass and clutch kit with standard box.
Box will be fine... they can take a fair bit of power... clutches are subjective... single mass can make the gearbox chatter at idle.. engine balancing helps elevate this to a degree... I use an LuK DMF and cover plate (std OE stuff) and a Sachs 4 puck paddle plate... works very well on higher HP cars

Intake - anything you can recommend?
Nothing off the shelf will be available... you will have to fabricate one

<tuffty/>

Thanks again Tufty. The answers I've wanted for ages lol.

Is the tfsi crank very important to performance of the car? Will I know a huge difference?
Fabrication isn't an issue really. I'll look into that clutch.

Any tips on the Tial 44mm external wastegate setup? Never dealt with them before?

Any tips on the Tial 44mm external wastegate setup? Never dealt with them before?

Fabrication mate... either that or just get TSR's manifold and downpipe setup... use TSR manis all the time but the TSR DP is supposed to work with this giving you all you need to get the wastegate on...

What ever manifold you choose should have an outlet on the collector for a wastegate... you then need to fit the wastegate to that then fabricate pipework from that to the downpipe ...

Its all in my build thread :)

<tuffty/>

One of the first things bought... AGU large port head. What differences do these have to the AMK head?

I'm just waiting for my compléte AGU engine yo come so I build that and swap it over when my new one is built ;)
The ports on the AGU look so much bigger than our engine