218Q vs 272Q: can't decide!!!

Maybe because the A4 engine is rated to be within the tolerances of the dl382. They could have easily put the gearbox from the higher output 3.0 diesel of course but it is probably all about marketing and production costs...

One of us 3.0TDI owners needs to get under our car and take a picture of the gearbox model plate...

Watching, with baited breath!

I'd get under mine, only my November ordered Allroad has been delayed to an (unconfirmed) May build.. :disrelieved:

Hi again, guys! I decided to go for the 3.0 tdi diesel 218Q! The reason is that I think it will satisfy my needs and the roads in my country are not so good so don't have where to joy with 272 version. So, I will place the order these days. Here is the configuration on the german site: http://audi.de/AVG1VA9K.
The dealer told me the delivery time is about 10-12 weeks, maybe 14 in my case because is a very equipped car! I am very excited about it but the waiting time is very hard.

Reactions: dts439
Hi again, guys! I decided to go for the 3.0 tdi diesel 218Q! The reason is that I think it will satisfy my needs and the roads in my country are not so good so don't have where to joy with 272 version. So, I will place the order these days. Here is the configuration on the german site: http://audi.de/AVG1VA9K.
The dealer told me the delivery time is about 10-12 weeks, maybe 14 in my case because is a very equipped car! I am very excited about it but the waiting time is very hard.
Great spec, pretty much the saloon version of ours. Do you get a discount off the list price?

Great spec, pretty much the saloon version of ours. Do you get a discount off the list price?

The price of the configuration in my country, at the dealer, was a little bit bigger than the german configuration price: ~73000 euros. I get a good discount because I negotiated with 3 dealers at first, then with 2 and I knew the car was something special for my country because they sell 98% 2.0 tdi diesels. As I got informed there are only 2-3 A4's 3.0 tdi quattro sold here. I can't post the discount I got here, but u can PM me if u are really interested.

I contacted APR http://www.goapr.co.uk/ about the dl382 gearbox and had this reply:
"With the DL382 being so new, we honestly don’t know what the maximum torque is we are able to put through it without software or new clutches. We are seeing that it isn’t quite as robust as the older boxes but it is still quite strong!
Hopefully we will have more data and news soon.
Regards
APRUK Support."

Reactions: ohms12
Cuke that is like almost everything these days, not as good as its predecessor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it seems this is true in all walks of life these days, as you say..

Strange tho. Quality gets worse, humans get twistier, belts get tighter....not twisting about my choice in car by the way, rather have my 218 than a fiesta so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great car mate you'll love it. Smooth, super quiet comfortable, fuel efficient (mid 40's easily) and grips like crazy in any situation. My only gripe being it doesn't feel as fast as it actually is. 400NM isn't much but it's advantage is the way it delivers that power

It would much rather prefer to waft along, with all that low down torque pushing the car forward effortlessly. You'll rarely go above 2k revs in everyday driving, its quite something.

I can imagine the 272Q being an absolute monster with its 600NM with the zf transmission but id probably go with the 335d if I was in the market for a car like this

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It depends on your point of view if the b9 gearbox is better or worse than its predecessor, from Audis perspective it's a better design as they're carrying less weight and cost, indeed the best design is just good enough to meet the reliability requirements with standard engines.

From our point of view we'd prefer a bit of "fat" in the design to allow us to have our tuning fun, however the manufacturers ability to design "closer to the edge" is getting better all the time so unfortunately the days of over designing are numbered.

When it comes to cars in general I'd say the quality has improved significantly over the years, the current Audi range is better than a Rolls-Royce from 20 years ago. I can't remember the last time I broke down (obviously will be tomorrow now I've said this) which if anyone was driving cars in the 80's you would have expected gremlins and rust as standard.

When it comes to consumer goods in general I'd agree standards have reduced, but this is driven by modern culture. My Nan had the same washing machine all her married life and it was built like a tank, Manufacturers could still produce long life machines but no one would pay the additional cost, or would want a "out of date" product in their kitchen after a few years.

So I guess the moral of the story is... if an item (like a gearbox) is "good", "bad", "better", "worse" or "good quality" it depends on your point of view.

Reactions: S.line and rich_16