210 or 225 How do i know ?

mattyboy199

Reaction score
As above how can you tell without putting it on the rollers ?

Matt

The engine code in either the service book (inside front cover) or on the engine on in the boot around the spare or even on the V5 but the DVLA are a bit rubbish sometimes.

You are looking for APY, AMK or BAM for a UK car, APY and AMK are 210 BHP(154kw) and BAM is 225BHP(165kw).

you could also have a look in the FAQ at the top of the forum, there's some useful info.

The power should also be printed on the sticker in the spare wheel well (in kW as above)

The 10th character of the VIN is the model year so a 1 would denote 2001 etc...

[ QUOTE ]
so it being a facelift would make no difference ?

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope ... mine was a facelift, AMK engine code = 210BHP .. they both chip to the same power anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The engine code is also stamped on the engine block, on the left IIRC.

Adam

when did the facelift occur then ?, was the 225 engine introduced from a certain date onwards ?

Matt

So what should a healthy 210bhp engine make @ the wheels? Mine's going into Awesome for a pre-remap power run this sunday... just want a ballpark figure as the Awesome rollers can't give accurate flywheel figures (apparently).

jus checked my car on my lunch break & i m a BAM (which is nice to know ;-)).

Matt

also could someone tell me where peak power is (in the rev range).

Thanks

Matt

Peak power on mine was 6000rpm+ IIRC. Peak torque around 3800rpm.

No difference in 210/225 anyway,a healthy s3 should make 160bhp at the wheels.
You can also tell a bam because it has vvt and a solenoid on top of the engine.

Hi Ryan,

All S3's have VVT, there is just a difference in operation from the APY to the later engines. APY is mechanical where as AMK and BAM (and the other international engine codes) are electronic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I used to think that but the apy doesn't have it,i know.