21 years old, insurance on 2009 A3/S3

alexA3

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I am looking for either a 59/10 A3 black edition 2.0 tfsi or a 2009 s3 and have been ringing around for insurance quotes recently. I am currently a named driver with churchill and have 4 years Named driver no claim discount and I am looking to start my own policy. With the 4 years NDNCD, churchill have offered me insurance for £1,415 for the A3 and £1,710 for the s3. I have rang up other insurance companies such as adrian flux and they have said straight away, it will be too expensive.

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on what insurance companies i should try and if these quotes received by churchill are any good?

Also, seeing as these quotes between the a3 and s3 are similar I am thinking of biting the bullet and going for an s3. Is there a noticable difference in performance between the a3 2.0tfsi and the s3? what would people recomend? I would also consider the a3 black edition 170 tdi if people recommend this.

Cheers

Alex

A3 to S3 is a big difference, not just the matter of 70-odd horsepower.

Try DirectLine, they were cheapest for me on my 8L. Now I'm with Admiral. Named driver NCB won't get you very far, and you'd VERY lucky for another company to honour it at all.

When I had my s3 few months ago I had to renew my I insurance, 21, 2 years NCB and two names drivers on policy and was only £810 with admiral always come up cheapest for me.

Have you tried all the normal insurance lowering tips? Add your mum and dad as named drivers (so long as they have been driving for years and years and don't have any claims/convictions.

Im only 23 but recent s3 quotes I got were £645 from Sainsbury bank with my parents as named drivers (I do have iam licence though)

Try direct link, I'm 22 and pay £650 with 3 points from 2008

I would say its going to be expensive who ever you go with mate, being 21, car insurance can make you do funny things when your young, when I was 21 I was paying nearly 2k fully comp for a lancia delta integrale.

in the past I found elephant were ok

These were the quotes I received on go compare for a 2009 S3. Does this bell company insert a tracker into your car to monitor how and when you drive?

I live in Warrington, is this a high risk area?

Screen Shot 2012 10 01 at 233922

These were the quotes I received on go compare for a 2009 S3. Does this bell company insert a tracker into your car to monitor how and when you drive?

I live in Warrington, is this a high risk area?

View attachment 7208

bell started putting tracking systems like 'insure your box'.

Are you putting 4 years NCB in those quotes? You'll be very lucky if another company honours it other than Churchill.

Didn't think many companies honour Named Driver NCDs. Make sure you 100% check that out. You can't put them down as normal NCD when they ask how many you have. Best to ring them to double check before you hand over the cash.

I paid £600 for a brand new A3 Technik 1.6 (59). Was 20 I think.

I now have a 1.8Tfsi (61) A3 Black edition and pay £500.

Both were fully comp with Direct Line.

I do also now have an accident witness in car camera and tracker in my car.

AXA were the cheapest for me even when I went from 170tdi s-line to the S3, when I moved from Manchester to Portsmouth it dropped by 30% too!! Never managed to get a cheap deal from price comparison sites.

Also try Quidco as it gives you a bit of cash back with most providers.

4 years named driver no claims is worthless unless taking out a policy with the company you made them with

looks like you'll have no other option but to insure with churchill IMO because with 0yncb you'll get quotes above 3k

just count yourself lucky that someone allowed you to be a named diver for the last 4 years which would have saved you a lot of money !

Your quotes dont look too bad, I was 24 when i got my 1st s3 with no no-claims bonus and my missus on the policy she was 22, i was £2700. 1 year ncd and me 25 it dropped to a grand.

Oh and reason i had no NCD was because i was a named driver on my dads policy for 1st few years driving.
To my knowledge only the company you were a named driver with will give the named driver there own no-claims and only if they state that they will earn there own.

They seem good I have 08 1.6i and I'm 19 and it cost £1400

Alryt chaps,

I have only been using the NDNCD with churchill, all other companies I have been stating 0 NCD. I have just rang churchill, and put my mum and dad as named drivers and can get:

2009 A3 2.0 TDI 170 BE for £1,027
2009 A3 2.0 TFSI BE for £ 1,2050
2009 S3 for £ 1,4450

In my opinion, these quotes don't seem bad at all.

I just need to decide what car to go for now. Im working in liverpool and do a 40 mile round trip everyday. Don't know if i should just go for it and get my dream s3, be safe and get a 170 TDI BE or compromise in the middle with a BE 2.0 tfsi. I have seen a nice black BE 2.0 TFSI with SAT NAV at warrington audi, but this has over 40,000 miles which is putting me off.

What would you guys advise? I am kinda leaning towards getting a 2.0 tfsi BE, putting a s3 grill on it, lowering it, and adding a milltek exhaust.

Well I personally don't see any reason why you would get the tfsi over the s3? To me the choice would be the diesel or the s3?

Depends if your bothered about fuel costs and mpg, if your are I wouldnt bother with the s3.

S3 if you can afford the insurance, car, tax, servicing, high fuel costs.
No conpairison really with the other 2, unless you do loads of miles in which case go for the diesel.

9 times out of 10 it drops if you add some one to it as a named driver so your dad could be put on it dose not need to drive it at all i added my partner to mine saved 200 on it just a thought

Remember, if you're thinking of adding exhausts etc then you need to check with your insurer before doing so.

Direct Line wouldn't let me do anything to my car until I was at least 23.