205 1.9 GTi

Beerzo

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!
Reaction score
I used to have one the exact same. But I still think they are stunning and seriously cool!!

Dan Gliballs said:
****** hell, that was probably the one issue I didn't own LOL!!

I still have my copy safely tucked away...

Great spec, and back in the days when carbs ruled, and tuning was sod all to do with remaps and winding up actuators (for the average man on the street anyway).

Ah yes...those were the days.
When messing with the ignition advance meant a mig welder and a file, adding & removing metal from the advance curve in the dizzy...those were the days!!

Same colour as my first one, though mine was a 1.3 obviously on an E plate.

Good choice...

TWIN 40'S ROCK!!!! I loved the sucking/barking/popping mine made on the Sports :)

You got that distinctive smell on your fingers from handling Weber jets...great!
No man could be serious about fettling without a pocket full of main jets, idle jets, pump jets, emulsion tubes, air correctors and chokes!
Proper tuning...a bag of Weber bits, a Snap-On timing light (which I still have), a 13mm spanner, a flat blade screwdriver and a length of garden hose was enough to tune Webers.
Ace! :beerchug:

I always wanted a Nova Sport...I'd still have one now in my Lottery garage.

The 205GTI is the definitive 80's hot hatch. Owned both the MK2 Golf GTI and the 205 and there's no doubting that the little pug would leave the MK2 for dead in pure cornering ability and fun. That said the Golf was easily the better car- verdict: Cool. If you've got even a thimblefull of petrol racing around your veins then you'll agree.

Ess_Three said:
I always wanted a Nova Sport...I'd still have one now in my Lottery garage.

Superb little cars, but only about 70 left on the register last time I heard :(

I had a very clean one when I was 19 (1993), then I discovered a genuine rotter when I was 28. I bought that to strip the engine parts off, and sold the rolling shell on for a profit.

I wanted to relive my youth but couldn't find a good one for sale,.................so at 30 I had my own replica built out of a white/C plate/3 door/no sunroof/brown interior/genuine 43K miles from new SR.............................

MyoldNovaSport1.jpg

MyoldNovaSport2.jpg

Nice!
With the correct Irmscher back box too!

Looks good on those wheels...I always liked 6" x 15" Revolution RFX on the Novas...with white centres obviously!

Ess_Three said:
Nice!
With the correct Irmscher back box too!

Looks good on those wheels...I always liked 6" x 15" Revolution RFX on the Novas...with white centres obviously!

I grovelled to Brian Ashley for MONTHS to get that one-off red backbox made, infact it was unique as he made it suit a one-off full bore system that he made for me too :)

I'm a Revolution man too as a rule, and I had some on my first Sport all those years ago. Revolution's distribution warehouse is based here in Horsham BTW ;)

jojo said:
That's a nice front splitter with touring car metal rods at the front to boot LOL! How much BHP was that chavtastic mod worth Glen?

Stone me ! I had the same splitter on my nova. Bought it from a guy called Pete neal when I was with the Performance Nova Group. Did you get it off him Glenn ?
BTW, who's the tall ugly bloke in the pics ?

s3bow said:
Stone me ! I had the same splitter on my nova. Bought it from a guy called Pete neal when I was with the Performance Nova Group. Did you get it off him Glenn ?

Sadly not...
I made the splitter from a sheet of plastic normally used for lining double glazed replacement windows...shaped by my own fair hands!

This was long before the PNG, Courtney were only just going...Carqiup were on the go, and Nova Sport in Newcastle (they did my didsributor)...but mostly the info came from Harry Hockley Motorsport (I bought their Gp 'A' build manual) and from other text books (the splitter!)

BTW, who's the tall ugly bloke in the pics ?

The tall dark haired handsome chap would be me...before I lost my hair and put weight on. Doh!

Ugly bloke! Do you want banning? :no:

Ess_Three said:
You still got that one?

Got any other pics you could let me see?
PM or email if you prefer...

I'll have to take some photographs of photographs ;) (no ****** scanner here).

The vauxhall underbelly is rising again....

All this talk of the old vauxhall days is bringing back memories. I too started off with a Nova. But mine was the finest Nova in the land, a lovely A reg 1.2L in a very tasteful Brown. ha ha

Then came the E plate 1.3SR in White, the day I bought it the cam went, so out cam the engine - nothing too drastic, just a rebuild, bit of head work, kent cam, janspeed 4 branch and the must have Webber 40's.

This lasted a while, until I got my hands on an Astra GTE 16v in Bordeaux red.
This was just as the turbo conversions / transplants where beginning to start. A friend converted his Nova GTE and that was it I had to have one, a £1k later and a 10k mile 2.0T lump was sat in the garage waiting to be fitted.
After some ****** knuckles and and a bit of trial and error the engine was in, a fortune spent in other mods, 6sp box etc etc that I wont go into and the rest is history.

An Astra GSi followed this which remained pretty standard then came the S3, the Leon Cupra R and the A4 2.8Q.

I still wish I'd kept my Astra GTE though, I dont know why but I loved that car.
I'll have to dig out some of the photos.

Whoops - Sorry back on topic, yes the 205 Gti is a cool car.

Dan Gliballs said:
I'll have to take some photographs of photographs ;) (no ****** scanner here).

Come to think of it, all my Nova pics are proper photos too...

I have some of my SR and my mates Sport.
I'll dig them out when I get home..

hi there
it has to get a very cool from me
i used to have a H reg
in a very rare lazer green with a mi16 band throttle bodies
it made a very healthy 195 bhp a jabba sport .
i miss it .
those were the days.

wigginer said:
It was a nice 'Taxi' and in a previous life ... what did you drive pre-Porsche?

Glen's former S3, B5 S4, A3 1.8T, BMW 535i, Saxo VTS, MkII Golf amongst others.

Dan Gliballs said:
My old Vectra V6 lump :).........

IMG_0496.jpg

Glad to see there is someone out there in Audi land that recognises they had a previous life ... that was a little 'below par' in Audi terms and is 'Open' enough and 'Big' enough to admit so !!!!

Great lump!.

Give me the details?

wigginer said:
Glad to see there is someone out there in Audi land that recognises they had a previous life ... that was a little 'below par' in Audi terms and is 'Open' enough and 'Big' enough to admit so !!!!

Great lump!.

Give me the details?

I'm guessing you're referring to the slightly elitist comments above? LOL

That was a completely standard X25XE, with a daft cone filter to make it sound thunderous (took it off in the warm weather though as it sapped power).

The MSD sticker was one to hide the ridicule of the word 'Ecotec' on the plenum LMAO

This was the car (1998 CDX manual)..........

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

wigginer said:
Nice line up ...

Cheers. The B5 S4 was a bit of an ill handling, over engined souped up saloon car to be honest... Which brings me on to your Vauxhall...

wigginer said:
So what's the thing against Vauxhalls? ... or have you fallen in to the same snobby pit as Clarkson??

Never really seen the appeal of big engines in a run of the mill rep box.
The vectra was a terrible car to begin with and by adding a few spoilers and a big engine you are polishing the proverbial...
Still didn't handle, still didn't stop and the engine wasn't that fast.
Residuals about as solid as powder snow and an image more in keeping with the sellers of other powdered substances...

Not my thing...

There is, still, a minicab near me that is a V6 Vectra :)

I can see the point of Glen's Nova... Light, sharp, rapid - a drivers tool - similar in many ways to my Saxo - and similar too in that the Chavs and boy racers finished off the image. Other performance Vauxhalls were fairly hopeless (and before anyone mentions it, I don't consider a Lotus Carlton to be a Vauxhall!)

Dan Gliballs said:
I'm guessing you're referring to the slightly elitist comments above? LOL

That was a completely standard X25XE, with a daft cone filter to make it sound thunderous (took it off in the warm weather though as it sapped power).

The MSD sticker was one to hide the ridicule of the word 'Ecotec' on the plenum LMAO

This was the car (1998 CDX manual)..........

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Eeeek...

It's horrible... And beige...

Make it go away :p

DavidR said:
Cheers. The B5 S4 was a bit of an ill handling, over engined souped up saloon car to be honest... Which brings me on to your Vauxhall...

Never really seen the appeal of big engines in a run of the mill rep box.
The vectra was a terrible car to begin with and by adding a few spoilers and a big engine you are polishing the proverbial...
Still didn't handle, still didn't stop and the engine wasn't that fast.
Residuals about as solid as powder snow and an image more in keeping with the sellers of other powdered substances...

Not my thing...

I can see the point of Glen's Nova... Light, sharp, rapid - a drivers tool - similar in many ways to my Saxo - and similar too in that the Chavs and boy racers finished off the image. Other performance Vauxhalls were fairly hopeless (and before anyone mentions it, I don't consider a Lotus Carlton to be a Vauxhall!)

Tidy GSi Vectras can be had for as little £3.5K though, so regardless of your thoughts, they're a lot of car for the money IMO.

They were under powered yes, but the brakes could certainly stop the car OK.

Not everybody can afford Porsches, and plenty of people NEED a 4-door 'rep box' with their family commitments etc.

Dan Gliballs said:
Tidy GSi Vectras can be had for as little £3.5K though, so regardless of your thoughts, they're a lot of car for the money IMO.

I could buy hundreds of half bricks for £3.5K...

Just because you can don't make it good :)

They were under powered yes, but the brakes could certainly stop the car OK.

Once perhaps.
Twice at a push.
But any more... Bravery pill required.

Not everybody can afford Porsches, and plenty of people NEED a 4-door 'rep box' with their family commitments etc.

Don't get me wrong - it's not car snobbery.
I drive around every day in a 217,000mile 1986 Audi Avant... Cost £750 and over 2 years about £100 in parts. That's a lot of car for the money. It replaced a rust tired old subaru legacy.

What gets to me is the need to have an apparently sporty car. Form over function I guess.

If I wanted something practical for day to day and 3.5K was mine to spend I'd buy a diesel Golf, an A6 avant and so on. A good, basic car. Not a rather rubbish car with a very halfords bodykit and unnecesarily uneconomical engine :)

But hey - I'm having a laugh over all this - check out the new cool wall poll :) :)

Well guys ... Vauxhall's or not, I've had a good day today:

1. Last day at work until 2nd March and flying out to Lanzarote in the morning.

2. Signed a Lease Contract on an order for a new RS4 ... details to follow!

A good week .. see you later!

Dan Gliballs said:
Superb little cars, but only about 70 left on the register last time I heard :(

I had a very clean one when I was 19 (1993), then I discovered a genuine rotter when I was 28. I bought that to strip the engine parts off, and sold the rolling shell on for a profit.

I wanted to relive my youth but couldn't find a good one for sale,.................so at 30 I had my own replica built out of a white/C plate/3 door/no sunroof/brown interior/genuine 43K miles from new SR.............................

MyoldNovaSport1.jpg

MyoldNovaSport2.jpg

My mates brother had one of those when I was about 14. It was a poor example though. Sounded pretty good though and even though was all rust I still thought it was cool.

DavidR said:

... and I always end up in a Mercedes Taxi of one type or another when I am abroad in Europe ... so what does this say?

Mercedes are crap because they are used widely in the Mediterranean as Taxis??

Had to put in a vote for 'cool' on this one. Not sub zero but cool.

Bought a 1.9 gti in 1993, my 3rd car. And I still have it!! I converted it to Mi16 in 1996 over 2 weeks in my parents garage! Back in the day when Mi16 205's were still fairly rare.

Got a few mods inc 309 rear beam (freshly rebuilt with grpN mounts ready to refit), gti6 brakes, quick rack, bilsteins and a subtle bodykit that I was told was gutmann when I bought it but never ever seen another one like it.

In process of restoring it and am not far away from finishing the welding then its time to prep and paint. Hopefully for the summer.

Mine spent a lot of time at knockhill trackdays before all the neds/chav's took over and ruined them. 207,000 miles in mid 2000 when I garaged it and its barely moved since!

Led me onto to 3 306 rallye's which to me is the last great car peugeot built! Every bit as fun as the 205 and a heck of a lot more reliable and refined!

sub zero for me. I had a 205xs which was the model down from the GTI as my first car. Was an old D reg and was a fantastic car!! Loved it!! Very quick for a 1.4, and the looks of it were just brillant..

Untill my girlfriend of the time decided to pull the handbrake on 'for a laugh' as I was having a wee drive along a country road:no:. we thing was in a sorry state after mounting the grass verge, through the hedge and embeding itself in a metal fence :bye:

Top class car though:)

In red, that was my dream car!!!

Definitly hot hatch coolness that we miss these days....

Pedro

I had a 205XS too, absolutley stunning car, performance marginaly short of the 1.6gti, but without the silly insurance. TBH I still have'nt driven a car to this day that is capable of putting such a big smile on my face. I was gutted the day I sold it to my local scrappy, but at least it had had a good life (170k miles on the original engine, mainly thanks to oil changes every 3000 miles and the use of a semi synthetic oil).

Regarding the scary handling of the 1.9GTi, I remember reading an interview with the guy who designed the suspension on it. Apparently his brief was to design a set up for a works track car to be driven by experienced racing drivers who knew how to keep a car balanced on the throttle. He was livid that peugeot had released it to the general public, and was not suprised that many of them came out of the corners backwards. I even did this once on a greasy road in my XS, thanks to a healthy dose of lift off oversteer.

Almost the same cult status as the Mk2 Golf GTI imo, too bad most of them have rotted away to nothing, for the ones that are still about, they demand respect on the twisty stuff.[/quot

didnt the little pugs have galvenised panels ? still one of the best handling hot hatches ever ! ive had 7 :anbet:and i reckon they are pretty quick even by todays standards hitting 60mph in just under 8 seconds !!!

Anyone remember the 309GTi? Now that was a cool (I hope)!!! I had a black one and it was mint. Sadly a garage totally f****d the engine up for me.

I had a 205 1.9 for about 3 years,amazingly quick up to 90 mph.Down the country lanes keeping it in the right gears not a lot could keep up with it.Ran out of steam over the tonne on motorways.
When I had a new clutch fitted its was a nightmare to put the power down on slippery roads and the wheels were spinning away into 3rd gear pulling away from lights.
Great power to weight ratio,look realy dated now!

Some cool photos here.Also had a Vectra CDX 2.5 v6 for a few years that loved leaking oil-new starter motors-and rocker gaskets/covers!

Have had 12 GTI's overall, still got 4 'resting' on the drive.

I think overall i enjoyed them more than the Mk1 Golf's.

My faves were a miami blue 1.9 with 16v box and heated 405 Mi16 interior (very very precise clutch control needed)

Another Miami with 1.9 alloy block Mi16 running dizzy adapter/jettronic, never got round to running the original motronic setup.

I bought my first Audi after a TDI Avant pulled away from me on a hill, when i was giving it the beans in 2nd gear.

I do not miss the biscuit tin panels or the squeaks and jiggles though. lol