SQ5 2021 SQ5 Winter/All Season Tyres

Strachan87

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've relatively recently acquired as 2021 SQ5 with the 21" alloys (255 40 R21) and I'm looking at winter/all-season tyres.

I'm considering either:
  • Full set of winters and rotating with the summers, rather than waste the tyres it came with (Pirelli's of some sort, the car is in getting PPF just now so I can't check).
  • Throw the current tyres away for some all seasons like the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season.
Audi do complete winter wheel packages (below) on the EU site (but not UK). I've asked my local Audi dealer for prices/availability and I'll share when I have. Does anyone have any experience of these package, the Pirelli Scorpions or any other recommendations on all seasons for the Q5's.

I'm a great believer in winter tyres/all season tyres having run Nokian's on my Fiesta's and the Michelin Cross climate's on my S3 8V (which did a decent job in helping the quattro deal with last winters heavy snow).

80A073220 8Z8: Wheel, 10-spoke vox brilliant silver, 8.0Jx20, winter tyre 255/45 R20 101V
80A073220 AX1: Wheel, 10-spoke vox black, 8.0Jx20, winter tyre 255/45 R20 101V
80A073229 8Z8: Wheel, 5-spoke dynamic brilliant silver, 7.0Jx19, winter tyre 235/55 R19 101H

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'd buy a wheel and tyre set to save having to change the tyres on the nice rims too often.

And I would go for 20s as I think that the range of tyre choices and the prices are much better for the 20s....

Reactions: Strachan87
I’ve had 3 sets of winters wheel packages from Audi dealers. You generally go down a size or 2 using dedicated winters. It’s not just cheaper but with a higher soft sidewall it will be better in the snow. my local dealer used to give me free wheels hotel and change them over for me twice a year if I bought the wheel package from them. Didn’t get the last set from them so not sure if they still do it.
I would be reluctant to use the factory wheels in winters as most are diamond cut and I’ve had bad corrosion underneath the lacquer before. Salt just eats away at them.

Ours is on 265/40 21 Continental TS860S winters

These are utterly AWESOME up and down hill on mega deep snow; impossible however hard I tried last year to 'spin 'em' and or 'brake'
Star Says Stop Smiley

CRAZY GOOD!!!! :racer:

P1050005P1050004P1040989
P1010203
Be re-fitted later this month for sure, bring on that snow...
The Snow Is Back Smiley

Thanks guys, they are certainly nice alloys and I'm sure the winter will do a lovely job of making a mess of them.
For reference I'm told (in the UK), only 80A073229 8Z8 (the 5 spoke 235/55 R19 101H ) are available to order and at a total of £2244.05 inc vat. :scared2:
These do also look diamond cut by the pictures but maybe my eyes,

I've not explored ebay or what not but 561 for an alloy plus tyre balanced may not be terrible. Mytyres generally saying 140-200 a tyre for similar size.
Then I guess I could source the 20" SQ5 tyre - I'm suspicious about the clearance of the 19" TBH, again I need to RTFM / check the sizing of the collapsible spare.

Thanks guys, they are certainly nice alloys and I'm sure the winter will do a lovely job of making a mess of them.
For reference I'm told (in the UK), only 80A073229 8Z8 (the 5 spoke 235/55 R19 101H ) are available to order and at a total of £2244.05 inc vat. :scared2:

I've not explored ebay or what not but 561 for an alloy plus tyre balanced may not be terrible. Mytyres generally saying 140-200 a tyre for similar size.
Then I guess I could source the 20" SQ5 tyre - I'm suspicious about the clearance of the 19" TBH, again I need to RTFM / check the sizing of the collapsible spare.

check the sticker on your door and see what fits. Your best bet is call around the dealers.
my first 2 sets I got from dealers and they were doing winter deals and it makes the tyre packages like half price. First set on my a6 was £700 which included the wheel hotel and fitting twice a year. That was for 18in alloys and Dunlop tyres. Which normally retailed at £1700 from Audi. I also had a display set from another dealer which I got heavily discounted. It’s worth shopping around.

Worth checking eBay as a number of German companies do pretty good deals (not always) but depends on make/mode etc. ideal Reifen is one I have used before

Reactions: AlS3BE
check the sticker on your door and see what fits. Your best bet is call around the dealers.
my first 2 sets I got from dealers and they were doing winter deals and it makes the tyre packages like half price. First set on my a6 was £700 which included the wheel hotel and fitting twice a year. That was for 18in alloys and Dunlop tyres. Which normally retailed at £1700 from Audi. I also had a display set from another dealer which I got heavily discounted. It’s worth shopping around.
One thing I love about Rotors is they are soo easy to clean inside and out! Our SQ5, RS3 (as per original) and now TT fitted with AUDI rotors, just love 'em :thumbs up:

Tt bedding in

Last edited:
Worth checking eBay as a number of German companies do pretty good deals (not always) but depends on make/mode etc. ideal Reifen is one I have used before
Just be sure you get one with good tyre depth.
Was told winters with less than 4mm tread isn’t any good with snow and ice and the useable tread life is not there. The sipes that makes it a winter tyre and helps with traction in ice and snow have worn away by 4mm.

Until you've tried a set of winter rubber on an Audi you'll just not get it, for sure your 'flabber' will be 'gasted!'
The Snow Is Back Smiley
Bring it on...

BLUEY on winter rubber

An unbelievable and non-forgettable experience with the RS3

That said, the SQ5 is just manic, better even, with a snow tyre on snow and go get 'em slippin' I dare you even try!

SQ5 back 1

What a machine is the OLD!!! 2016 BiTDi SQ5 Gimme, gimme, gimme....

SQUIFFY's (SQ5's!!!) winters (black rotors and 265/40 21 Continental TS860S winters) will be re-fitted later this month, weather eye watch of course, and for sure I/she will be eager to be entertaining 'me' as and when the appropriate conditions arise.

OK, sold the RS3 and TT winters, the SQ5 is way to manic :yahoo: to even bother with the RS3 and/or TT on the white stuff! Both the RS3 and TT are for us now 'dry' weather machines!

However, if you've never tried 'winters' on the 'white-stuff' then you just need to go get a set and explore/enjoy :racer:

For excitement ia set of 'winter-rubber' sure beats a week-end on the beach for sure, and AUDI safe for you and yours too.... :thumbs up:

OK, sorry, so the "visuals" of a week on the beach maybe be a tad more convincing
Sunbathing In Bikini Smiley

Last edited:
Until you've tried a set of winter rubber on an Audi you'll just not get it, for sure your 'flabber' will be 'gasted!'
The Snow Is Back Smiley
Bring it on...

View attachment 243866

An unbelievable and non-forgettable experience with the RS3

That said, the SQ5 is just manic, better even, with a snow tyre on snow and go get 'em slippin' I dare you even try!

View attachment 243867
What a machine is the OLD!!! 2016 BiTDi SQ5 Gimme, gimme, gimme....

SQUIFFY's (SQ5's!!!) winters (black rotors and 265/40 21 Continental TS860S winters) will be re-fitted later this month, weather eye watch of course, and for sure I/she will be eager to be entertaining 'me' as and when the appropriate conditions arise.

OK, sold the RS3 and TT winters, the SQ5 is way to manic :yahoo: to even bother with the RS3 and/or TT on the white stuff! Both the RS3 and TT are for us now 'dry' weather machines!

However, if you've never tried 'winters' on the 'white-stuff' then you just need to go get a set and explore/enjoy :racer:

For excitement ia set of 'winter-rubber' sure beats a week-end on the beach for sure, and AUDI safe for you and yours too.... :thumbs up:

OK, sorry, so the "visuals" of a week on the beach maybe be a tad more convincing
Sunbathing In Bikini Smiley

quattro and winter tyres are the best combo.
beast from the east was a walk in the park in my a6.
s3 was really good last winter as well. Hoping the cross climate 2 will hold up as well as the winter tyres I had.
F6A1745F AAAA 439E 8CC8 C664E5A53775

• Love
Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
Just be sure you get one with good tyre depth.
Was told winters with less than 4mm tread isn’t any good with snow and ice and the useable tread life is not there. The sipes that makes it a winter tyre and helps with traction in ice and snow have worn away by 4mm.

Agree, I bought a set that had 7mm+

quattro and winter tyres are the best combo.
beast from the east was a walk in the park in my a6.
s3 was really good last winter as well. Hoping the cross climate 2 will hold up as well as the winter tyres I had.
View attachment 243874
STUNNING! LOVE it!
Big Round Of Applause Smiley

Thanks guys, some food for thought here (I did love the Crossclimates on my S3 too, good compromise and a push on the accelerator got me out of any snow)

Anybody used these guys? https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/audi_alloy_wheels/sq5_80a_suv_sportback_alloys

See they are giving options for all the alloys available for the SQ5 and tyres as well... also they mention Tyre Pressure Monitoring. I'm not sure what the Q5 has if it is a sensor in the tyre itself (I've not seen tyre pressures in the MMI) or if it is ABS sensor based?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, some food for thought here (I did love the Crossclimates on my S3 too, good compromise and a push on the accelerator got me out of any snow)

Anybody used these guys? https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/audi_alloy_wheels/sq5_80a_suv_sportback_alloys

See they are giving options for all the alloys available for the SQ5 and tyres as well... also they mention Tyre Pressure Monitoring. I'm not sure what the Q5 has if it is a sensor in the tyre itself (I've not seen tyre pressures in the MMI) or if it is ABS sensor based?
Replying to myself because I can't figure how to edit...

For reference Aviva UK do not class winter wheels as a modification:

"Thank you for contacting us.
The replacement of standard for winter tyres is commonplace and is not classed as a modification as such this will not invalidate your insurance.
Once you have made the switch just drop us an email and I’ll note your policy accordingly.
Kindly just drop us an email when you’ve changed the winter tyres and wheels over in the spring 2022.
"

Replying to myself because I can't figure how to edit...

For reference Aviva UK do not class winter wheels as a modification:

"Thank you for contacting us.
The replacement of standard for winter tyres is commonplace and is not classed as a modification as such this will not invalidate your insurance.
Once you have made the switch just drop us an email and I’ll note your policy accordingly.
Kindly just drop us an email when you’ve changed the winter tyres and wheels over in the spring 2022.
"

M+S 'winter tyres' are on the Tyre Pressure label, Strachen87, so for sure any insurance agent cannot complain at any time winter and or summer. The may complain about a non-OEM wheel/rim (so I was advised) however so take care. As for a cross climate, well, I don't see them in the Type Approval designations for anything. Me, I've a summer set of Michelin tyres on OEM rims, and a winter set of Continental tyres on OEM rims - if only to stop them sneaky illegitimates trying to make an issue in an OMG :scared2: eventuality.

The tyres, winter or summer, themselves as long as they have right size, load rating and speed rating then insurance can’t charge you more as they are fit for purpose.
however you got to be careful using aftermarket wheels as they are seen as a modification so they can charge you for them.

M+S 'winter tyres' are on the Tyre Pressure label, Strachen87, so for sure any insurance agent cannot complain at any time winter and or summer. The may complain about a non-OEM wheel/rim (so I was advised) however so take care. As for a cross climate, well, I don't see them in the Type Approval designations for anything. Me, I've a summer set of Michelin tyres on OEM rims, and a winter set of Continental tyres on OEM rims - if only to stop them sneaky illegitimates trying to make an issue in an OMG :scared2: eventuality.
That's my logic - if its Audi alloys its on no one should make a fuss over it,

The label inside the door does confirm 19" are an option a below.

235/55 R19 101H M+S
255/45 R20 101V M+S
255/40 R21 102Y XL
255/45 R20 101 W

Now I have to decide if I want the 19" or 20" LOL and if I want the 20", if I want black :blink:

Last edited: