2021 S3 OR 2016 RS3

Nikolaj8

Reaction score
Hey guys first post so excuse me if I'm posting it in the wrong place! I'm getting my driver's license very soon and I'm about to purchase my first car.
I've looked at 2 cars which im very interested in but I need some guidance.
First car - S3 2020-2021 model, driven 18500 miles Price US$90,00
2nd car - RS3 2016 model, driven 35000 miles. Price US$85,000

all cars are around equally optioned although the s3 does not have a B&O soundsystem & sports-seats :)

Attachments

• f3788ac3af2773010dc612bbd542505b.jpg
    f3788ac3af2773010dc612bbd542505b.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 16ef4fe1275ef9e60c18440da3a5a1a8.png
    16ef4fe1275ef9e60c18440da3a5a1a8.png
    799.9 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 8YARWY and Jcbmally
Hey guys first post so excuse me if I'm posting it in the wrong place! I'm getting my driver's license very soon and I'm about to purchase my first car.
I've looked at 2 cars which im very interested in but I need some guidance.
First car - S3 2020-2021 model, driven 18500 miles Price US$90,00
2nd car - RS3 2016 model, driven 35000 miles. Price US$85,000

all cars are around equally optioned although the s3 does not have a B&O soundsystem & sports-seats :)
EDIT: My bad, I should read posts clearly. :haudrauf:
Welcome to the forum.
If you hoon around all day the RS is the one to go for, what do you really want ? S3 or RS3 as they are very different animals in performance and sound, also RS holds value better.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
As a boringly sensible old person, I’d caution that both of these cars are overly powerful for someone buying their first car after getting their driving licence. There’s more to driving than passing the test and the faster the car, the quicker you can get yourself into an accident.
There’s a good reason for the high insurance premiums charged for inexperienced drivers. Even though you may be able to afford this, I’d recommend a less powerful car for your first. A well specced A3 would be my recommendation. There’s plenty of time for faster cars in years to come.

Reactions: Pinky1959, -Ju-, Mr Freeze and 4 others
Rs3 all day long especially a 8V PFL

Reactions: Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
As a boringly sensible old person, I’d caution that both of these cars are overly powerful for someone buying their first car after getting their driving licence. There’s more to driving than passing the test and the faster the car, the quicker you can get yourself into an accident.
There’s a good reason for the high insurance premiums charged for inexperienced drivers. Even though you may be able to afford this, I’d recommend a less powerful car for your first. A well specced A3 would be my recommendation. There’s plenty of time for faster cars in years to come.

Lol he’s asking for opinions on the S3 vs RS3…… not a lecture on why he shouldn’t buy a powerful car.
You don’t know anyones circumstances, not everyone wants a powerful car to drive like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: Jcbmally, STmichael and Jassyo06
Lol he’s asking for opinions on the S3 vs RS3…… not a lecture on why he shouldn’t buy a powerful car.
You don’t know anyones circumstances, not everyone wants a powerful car to drive like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to agree with @AdamInKent however you are right, for all we know he could be a young racing car driver, and now he’s reached the age where he’s legally allowed to drive on a public road. Lucky guy though, wish I’d had the finances when I passed my test at 17 to choose one of these cars - imagine what he’ll be driving in 10 years time!

Reactions: Jcbmally, AdamInKent, Smthy88 and 1 other person
I tend to agree with @AdamInKent however you are right, for all we know he could be a young racing car driver, and now he’s reached the age where he’s legally allowed to drive on a public road. Lucky guy though, wish I’d had the finances when I passed my test at 17 to choose one of these cars - imagine what he’ll be driving in 10 years time!
I'm not a racer no haha. i play esports its not very sustainable so I don't think I'll be driving anything more crazy than an rs3 or s3 (hopefully though)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
I tend to agree too. If I think back to mine and my friends' driving when we were 17/18/19 it's amazing we didn't have serious accidents, and I was driving a 1.0l Nova with a manual choke! It's natural that you're young and overly confident at that age, it takes a couple of near misses to scare you into realising where your experience and ability really is. Experience being the key thing IMO.

Reactions: STmichael, Mr Freeze, AdamInKent and 1 other person
I tend to agree too. If I think back to mine and my friends' driving when we were 17/18/19 it's amazing we didn't have serious accidents, and I was driving a 1.0l Nova with a manual choke! It's natural that you're young and overly confident at that age, it takes a couple of near misses to scare you into realising where your experience and ability really is. Experience being the key thing IMO.
Wow, I’d forgotten about chokes!!

Wow, I’d forgotten about chokes!!
Yep, this was the early 00s too. It was my mum's old B reg Nova that had been sat in the garage for when I was old enough to drive. What I would say is to drive something that old and underpowered, plus the manual choke on cold mornings, really teaches you how to drive!

Reactions: Southall87, STmichael and AdamInKent
Manual choke showing your age there pal :laughing: I had one on my Renault 5 GT Turbo

Reactions: abmat and Smthy88
Hey guys thanks for all the help so far, will definitely consider going for a bit cheaper model / not as powerful. hopefully, 8 seconds 0-60 won't be too slow!

Reactions: AdamInKent and RichK