2021 Car Security - Ghost 2, Tracker+ or other?

Tommmygunnn

Reaction score
Good weekend everyone,

Im picking up my A6 Avant BITDI on Tuesday and im keen to have some good security added. My lovely b7 Avant Special Edition was stolen a few years ago by burglary with the keys stolen from the house. If I had better car security, the car probably wouldn't have moved from the drive. Therefore im keen to keep this A6 so want something good installing. ps. I couldn't find a car security section, closest was ICE, unless I've missed it somewhere.

I'm looking at what you guys recommend in 2021. Tech is always evolving. I've looked into Autowatch Ghost 2, which seems to be the most mentioned product at the moment. I like the fact even with the keys, the car cannot be started. (unless they tow it or drag it onto a trailer I assume). If the car is taken somehow, there is no tracker, so when its gone your most likely never seeing it again. But that's was insurance is for!

I like what Tracker offers, but my word its pretty damn expensive when you consider the annual/monthly subscriptions too. The benefit being VHF signals so recovering the car is more likely, but not guaranteed, and again I don't think I would want the car back if some dodgy feckers have been with it a few days and started taking it apart to located trackers etc. Tracker seems more of a reactive solution, rather than preventative.

I just today found a product called Starline Security. Appears to be an immobiliser like the Ghost, plus a tracker too. It looks quite impressive, and the app has some decent features such as remote engine start, telematics and other various more modern tricks that the other two don't offer. It looks quite impressive - https://www.alarmstarline.com/car-security-systems/

I've also just ordered Blackvue front and rear dash cams for a bit of on the road protection. I did use a more budget friendly model the past few years the DDPAI mini2, great little cheap camera, but first one failed, then the second keep rebooting, and lost the little fob and their support was terrible, so gone for a more premium product this time.

So which would you guys pick in 2021 for your pride and joy?

Last edited:
Hmm,I thought about a Ghost for my RSQ3. But can’t help feel that I don’t want some scrote(s) potentially forcing me/the wife to enter the secret code at the end of a knife or worse. Had a tracker on a previous R32,but as you say,expensive to buy & subscription fees. And yes,if my car goes,I’d rather it stays gone tbh. I stick my Disklok on to deter the morons,anyone more “professional”,I think if they want it,they’ll have it.

Reactions: JohnM100
Hmm,I thought about a Ghost for my RSQ3. But can’t help feel that I don’t want some scrote(s) potentially forcing me/the wife to enter the secret code at the end of a knife or worse. Had a tracker on a previous R32,but as you say,expensive to buy & subscription fees. And yes,if my car goes,I’d rather it stays gone tbh. I stick my Disklok on to deter the morons,anyone more “professional”,I think if they want it,they’ll have it.
Yeah I have a Stoplock Pro which i'd be using too but know these can be removed if someone has the correct tools. I never thought about being forced to enter the code, that never crossed my mind! I've only looked at it from a steal your keys situation. I don't think my car stands out enough for someone to steal it at knife point as its got no S6/RS6 badges, just looks like every other black edition A6 I guess. If it was an S6 or RS6 then yeah that's always a possibility to happen!

If you're that concerned, I'd be using individual security systems, tracker on its own, dashcams with real time warnings of movement in & around the car with cloud uploaded recordings & live view etc, depends how far & budget conscious you are.

If you're that concerned, I'd be using individual security systems, tracker on its own, dashcams with real time warnings of movement in & around the car with cloud uploaded recordings & live view etc, depends how far & budget conscious you are.
Thanks. Im not overly concerned about it being nicked, I'd just like to know I've got a good setup that may prevent it. Worst thing about the car stolen was the inconvenience of not having my car, and it took around 6-8 weeks until I got the insurance payout. Im also a techie so love gadgets and equipment, so was interested if there's something new on the market. I've gone for blackvue dash cams with the ability to cloud connect and 24hr parking mode etc if I need it but it's not something I feel I need at the moment.

If they want they’ll take it but so far so good with my security. The Golf R has had a couple car thieves trying to get my keys.

Golf all I have is a Sterling touch imobliser

T5 California got a ghost 2 fitted

Classic mini has a StarLine imobliser which needs a tag present to start the car. But also has tracking through an app. Plus all the cars have stoplock pros and cctv watching them.

Ghost is very user friendly but the guys who did my Golf and then another guy who did the mini said it’s rubbish and only a matter of time until thieves work out how to bypass it. But in the last couple years nothing has got nicked so who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tommmygunnn
If they want they’ll take it but so far so good with my security. The Golf R has had a couple car thieves trying to get my keys.

Golf all I have is a Sterling touch imobliser

T5 California got a ghost 2 fitted

Classic mini has a StarLine imobliser which needs a tag present to start the car. But also has tracking through an app. Plus all the cars have stoplock pros and cctv watching them.

Ghost is very user friendly but the guys who did my Golf and then another guy who did the mini said it’s rubbish and only a matter of time until thieves work out how to bypass it. But in the last couple years nothing has got nicked so who knows

Thanks for the info. With the Starline immobiliser is the fob small enough to fit in a wallet, or a big clunky thing? Obviously wouldn't make much sense having it on your keys I imagine.

Worrying to hear the engineers saying that about Ghost, but its like that with everything I guess. It seems like the most trusted product out there, and the fitted price isn't crazy either for Ghost 2 at around £449. I like that the new App will bypass the pin code of the car if you have Bluetooth enabled.

Thanks for the info. With the Starline immobiliser is the fob small enough to fit in a wallet, or a big clunky thing? Obviously wouldn't make much sense having it on your keys I imagine.

Worrying to hear the engineers saying that about Ghost, but its like that with everything I guess. It seems like the most trusted product out there, and the fitted price isn't crazy either for Ghost 2 at around £449. I like that the new App will bypass the pin code of the car if you have Bluetooth enabled.

b9d48d5a4e992485754778cae572783a.jpg

This is the size of the tag so not very big.

When I got the Golf done I used toad security. I was after Clifford originally but my nearest dealer done an awful job on my brother in-laws car. So I spoke to toad security as I remembered them from the 90’s and they were mobile. Talking to the installer he slagged off ghost but for the wife everything else on the market she said ghost looked the easiest to use.

Looking into the mini I found a guy in London who fitted the StarLine and kept it all original. Talking to him he said ghost was and showed me a bit of how you bypass it . He said for an installer it’s well easy to fit. Both of them said ghost just slows people down and most criminals just want an easy in out job. They said if a thief is patient enough and has time to **** around they will have the car. Even Pandora systems are getting hacked.

Good weekend everyone,

Im picking up my A6 Avant BITDI on Tuesday and im keen to have some good security added. My lovely b7 Avant Special Edition was stolen a few years ago by burglary with the keys stolen from the house. If I had better car security, the car probably wouldn't have moved from the drive. Therefore im keen to keep this A6 so want something good installing. ps. I couldn't find a car security section, closest was ICE, unless I've missed it somewhere.

I'm looking at what you guys recommend in 2021. Tech is always evolving. I've looked into Autowatch Ghost 2, which seems to be the most mentioned product at the moment. I like the fact even with the keys, the car cannot be started. (unless they tow it or drag it onto a trailer I assume). If the car is taken somehow, there is no tracker, so when its gone your most likely never seeing it again. But that's was insurance is for!

I like what Tracker offers, but my word its pretty damn expensive when you consider the annual/monthly subscriptions too. The benefit being VHF signals so recovering the car is more likely, but not guaranteed, and again I don't think I would want the car back if some dodgy feckers have been with it a few days and started taking it apart to located trackers etc. Tracker seems more of a reactive solution, rather than preventative.

I just today found a product called Starline Security. Appears to be an immobiliser like the Ghost, plus a tracker too. It looks quite impressive, and the app has some decent features such as remote engine start, telematics and other various more modern tricks that the other two don't offer. It looks quite impressive - https://www.alarmstarline.com/car-security-systems/

I've also just ordered Blackvue front and rear dash cams for a bit of on the road protection. I did use a more budget friendly model the past few years the DDPAI mini2, great little cheap camera, but first one failed, then the second keep rebooting, and lost the little fob and their support was terrible, so gone for a more premium product this time.

So which would you guys pick in 2021 for your pride and joy?
I don't want to seem dense ( I am ) but wouldn't your Audi App tell you where your car is if it was nicked ? Mine does.

I have a metatrak s5 deadlock. You have to have the metat trak fob with the keys to start the car plus you have the option to remote immobiliser the car from.your phone. It doesn't matter if they have your keys and the fob, it won't start.

I don't want to seem dense ( I am ) but wouldn't your Audi App tell you where your car is if it was nicked ? Mine does.
I don't believe the c7 has this feature. It's more about preventing the car getting stolen rather than finding it once it's gone. Most proper car thieves know how to stop cars with trackers from being found if they have enough time with the car. There are a few trackers out there however that are good enough not to be found by thieves.

Since making this thread I've gone with the Ghost 2 and very happy with the product. I'm not even using the stoplock Pro since having it installed I'm fairly confident the car can't be taken even with the keys unless it's dragged onto a trailer with is incredibly unlikely

So this is for your C7 A6 then? In which case it would be better to post this in the C7 section, as you've posted this in the C8 section - AFAIK all C8's come with built-in GPS showing the car's location at all times. Trying to disable the factory gps on any C8 makes the car useless to a thief, IMHO no need to waste money buying a tracker for a C8.

So this is for your C7 A6 then? In which case it would be better to post this in the C7 section, as you've posted this in the C8 section - AFAIK all C8's come with built-in GPS showing the car's location at all times. Trying to disable the factory gps on any C8 makes the car useless to a thief, IMHO no need to waste money buying a tracker for a C8.
Correct its a C7. For some reason an admin moved this thread from general chat into here.
No idea why but it now makes sense why one user assumed I had a C8

Ghost 2 is good, had it on the old car, looking at Pandora Storm or may go Ghost 2 again. Not sure yet Pandora is slightly cheaper at the moment