2021 Audi S3 Preview Video

Same bhp as outgoing, I’m surprised by that. The car looks too high to me.

Reactions: Leevr and pburv
What system have they replaced the 'mag ride' with then?
Looks ok to me. Pretty much the same as the f/l...''If it aint broke don't fix it'':thumbs up:

Reactions: Jcbmally
I still think the Merc has the edge on the exterior based on this pic in the video ...

Upload 2020 2 5 7 30 46

But hopefully the final production model will change my view.

Am looking elsewhere within the brand as this is not doing it for me. Interior is based on the new Q3, of which I have worked on a good number and its not as well built or as "premium" as the outgoing A3. Centre console alone put me off!

Reactions: Sandra, Jcbmally, cuke2u and 2 others
Am looking elsewhere within the brand as this is not doing it for me. Interior is based on the new Q3, of which I have worked on a good number and its not as well built or as "premium" as the outgoing A3. Centre console alone put me off!

Agree with there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells
this might have just finalised my decision to jump to a Porsche Cayman...

Reactions: FBF01 and Bryant1998
Same bhp as outgoing, I’m surprised by that. The car looks too high to me.
Very surprising given the new Golf R is rumoured to have 329bhp I think? Can’t imagine they’d give more power to the Golf given the S3 is the ‘premium brand model’... and honestly not all that impressed, it has given me no desire to upgrade from my current S3

Reactions: Jassyo06
Like the new lights but that’s about it.

it does look tall compared to others in category.

The same engine is crazy they should have definitely upped power a bit. Interior looks meh, definitely worse than current, not that dissimilar from the other half’s Skoda Fabia.

I’m not generally keen on touchscreens. Having used the one in the fabia, I do think it works better for CarPlay than the wheel though which I guess is most common usage.

Still interested to see the saloon version.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that isn’t the real interior is it? It shows a Q3 on the MMi and the door mirrors don’t match the same as the exterior dar that the presenter was driving? Having said this, I’m at work and video is on mute so it could e mentioned in the audio

Pretty sure that isn’t the real interior is it? It shows a Q3 on the MMi and the door mirrors don’t match the same as the exterior dar that the presenter was driving? Having said this, I’m at work and video is on mute so it could e mentioned in the audio

It is mentioned, said they weren’t allowed to film the interior but it was very similar to the Q3 and so showed that instead.

Cheers

Reactions: Ormesome
Looks quite MPV in stature, particularly from the rear quarter view. But then again so did the new M135i in photos, in the actual metal it looks much better.

Reactions: S32B
I read Autocar this morning and the story is just the same as given in this video. I am also surprised about the engine HP not being increased but maybe there is a surprise to come in Geneva at the launch? The Autocar article talks about a 5% improvement over the old car so it will be interesting to see what that translates to in terms of added cost when you use the online configurator to compare it with your own car!!!

I read Autocar this morning and the story is just the same as given in this video. I am also surprised about the engine HP not being increased but maybe there is a surprise to come in Geneva at the launch? The Autocar article talks about a 5% improvement over the old car so it will be interesting to see what that translates to in terms of added cost when you use the online configurator to compare it with your own car!!!

5% improvement in what?

Engine power? would translate as 311 bhp.

5% improvement in comfort? Would anyone notice?
5% improvement in handling? Would anyone notice?

5% improvement seems a very low number for a all new model compared to the one it's replacing.

5% improvement in what?

5% improvement seems a very low number for a all new model compared to the one it's replacing.

Its just a line in the final paragraph "Much like the outgoing car, but better by 5%" it says!

5% improvement in what?

Efficiency / emissions?

I'd be very surprised if the power was the same as the current S3 . I won't be changing anytime soon if it is .

Very surprising given the new Golf R is rumoured to have 329bhp I think? Can’t imagine they’d give more power to the Golf given the S3 is the ‘premium brand model’... and honestly not all that impressed, it has given me no desire to upgrade from my current S3
V odd, may be the 329 was just speculation, I’m still surprised though as they could easily add 10% as the tuning boxes show without major development works.

Reactions: pburv and Bells
Doubt it :) Although I do find it's pretty good on fuel, which is nice :)

Reactions: pburv and Bells
Does anyone who buys a S or RS car care about this? :tearsofjoy:
lol when I had my S3 I had the current mpg showing for the first hour then switched it off, if it had been kept on I'd have never put my foot down! :p

Reactions: Bells and pburv

Well kind of when l do 10k a year in it.....cant say more than that to be honest,those that dont aint doing that mileage per yer

Reactions: pburv and TYb
Well kind of when l do 10k a year in it.....cant say more than that to be honest,those that dont aint doing that mileage per yer
Same I averaged 12k a year in mine, whilst I wasn’t wowed by the car I couldn’t knock the engines performance, very fast and economical, I averaged c35mpg over 3 years in mine, not bad at all.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
fair enough. i only do around 5-6k a year in mine..Mpg has never been an issue anyway but if I did 10 or more k miles then I would've thought the S3 wasn't too bad a compromise on performance vs efficiency compared to other motors with similar bhp??

Reactions: Jassyo06 and TYb

Most of the time, no. Just enjoy the experience, performance, and noise.

For the occasional longer journey I play the game of trying to be economical and resist the temptation to floor it - amazing how quickly an hour of careful driving mpg can be undone.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant1998 and pburv
The engines are very economocal considering the performance of the S3 and RS3.

I got just over 40mpg on a 70 mile journey when I took it VERY steady - but I was following a relative at thier pace and it was pretty steady lol.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Jassyo06
fair enough. i only do around 5-6k a year in mine..Mpg has never been an issue anyway but if I did 10 or more k miles then I would've thought the S3 wasn't too bad a compromise on performance vs efficiency compared to other motors with similar bhp??
I walk more than 5k miles a year lol

50 mile commute a day impractical and stupid not to have the car in efficiency mode 90% of the journey,but by keeping the car in efficiency ... when l do need a bit of power? my God the car feels so fast

Anyway back to the new A3 does the new S3 have a all new engine or does it just have the same engine but reworked ie ruined even more.
Its early doors yet but i sense Audi have not gone to town with this new car and that's a shame because they have missed a big opportunity to jump ahead of the new 1 series and A class both of which l feel are pretty average offerings

We are living in a car world full of mediocrity now and it's only starting
Had a laugh at the "What Car" journalist quote the new S3 available to order this May with delivery in July never gonna happen lol
What car did mention about the new A3s build quality....being "Not as good as the old model and also some cheap looking/feeling interior plastics!!!! why do they do this ....to such an important car ....for them l can't fathom their logic out

Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
50 mile commute a day impractical and stupid not to have the car in efficiency mode 90% of the journey,but by keeping the car in efficiency ... when l do need a bit of power? my God the car feels so fast

Anyway back to the new A3 does the new S3 have a all new engine or does it just have the same engine but reworked ie ruined even more.
Its early doors yet but i sense Audi have not gone to town with this new car and that's a shame because they have missed a big opportunity to jump ahead of the new 1 series and A class both of which l feel are pretty average offerings

Had a laugh at the "What Car" journalist quote the new S3 available to order this May with delivery in July never gonna happen lol
What car did mention about the new A3s build quality....being "Not as good as the old model and also some cheap looking/feeling interior plastics!!!! why do they do this ....to such an important car ....for them l can't fathom their logic out

It does seem odd that there are rumblings the new Golf R will have a 10% power increase - for Audi not to at least match this is very odd.
Yes I picked up on that comment in the video that the new S3 has some scratcy plastics and the interior does not feel premium - that is very concerning.
We should be excited about the upcoming release of the new model, but I think a lot of us are extremely apprehensive.
Thankfully, like you, I am still quite content with my current car but at 4 years old I am thinking it will need replacing certainly by this time next year.
Every review I read on a car appears to have negatives in one form or another - this is where Audi was usually a banker.

Reactions: wab172uk, Flying Scotsman and pburv
The statement that the interior was cheaper looking with hard plastic bits also concerned me, along with a touch screen for most functions, seriously speaks of cutting costs. A touch screen for most functions is definitely cheaper to produce than buttons and other tactile devices and is also dangerous to use as that requires taking your eyes off the road.
I will take a gander at the saloon, but I am not impressed with the hatchback. Methinks my 2017 S3 will be sitting in it's stall for quite a while, as nothing that is available in this category makes me want to whip down to the dealership to purchase. An S4 with the petrol V6 that it comes with in Canada maybe my next choice.

Reactions: JohnM100, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

I spoke to the salesman who sold me my S3 yesterday and he reckons 3rd quarter for deliveries . If that is true or not who knows

The statement that the interior was cheaper looking with hard plastic bits also concerned me, along with a touch screen for most functions, seriously speaks of cutting costs. A touch screen for most functions is definitely cheaper to produce than buttons and other tactile devices and is also dangerous to use as that requires taking your eyes off the road.
I will take a gander at the saloon, but I am not impressed with the hatchback. Methinks my 2017 S3 will be sitting in it's stall for quite a while, as nothing that is available in this category makes me want to whip down to the dealership to purchase. An S4 with the petrol V6 that it comes with in Canada maybe my next choice.

The sad thing is that the new S4 is also touchscreen.