2020 S4 Quattro - How important is tyre matching?

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
I had a tyre failure on my S4 which has the Quattro system. Tyre insurance covered it but they fitted a different tyre.

So now I have the following:
Front Passenger Side: Pirelli 255/345 R19 96Y
Potenza 255/35RK19 96Y everywhere else (original tyre when new)

I’m told that if I sell this will reduce the value and Audi recommend the same tyres throughout and I should change ahead of sale?

Is this true. The tyres are the same code? Or does this warrant a £200 reduction in selling price?

How important is exact tyre matching for Quattros?

It's good practice to replace both if the one side needs changing, as the tread depth is then the same either side. However, this is both expensive and annoying if you get a puncture in one. When looking at a car, I like the idea of matching pairs, preferably all fours matching. There is a consistency and sense of reliability in knowing they are all identical, particularly as Quattro puts plenty of extra wear and tear on the rears. I'd argue the grip is more even across all four corners due to matching pairs / sets in all weather conditions. Audi are being nit picky, but I understand why.

Anyone who has half a brain cell (generally speaking) wouldn't consider a different tyre a reason to offer less & you shouldn't deal with people like that tbh as they'd come back afterwards with other things.

Good practise yes for your usage as matching grip, wear etc, but it's not absolute necessary as you're not tracking it everyday to notice any difference tbh.

As long as it's not a remould or cheap rubbish, then I'd ignore Audi or anyone that makes such statements.

Reactions: Hambee1234 and WarwickBoy
For me, if its a premium brand and had good tread on it, then it wouldn't even come into my mind when looking at buying / selling a car.

As said above, If its a cheap tire, or if really worn then I would maybe negotiate something into the sale / purchase as it would need to be replaced pretty soon, or even immediately if a really crap brand.

When having leased cars, Audi advise it has to be an Audi approved (premium) brand when returning the vehicle, and for private sales, I would be in the position I said earlier above.

Reactions: WarwickBoy