2020 Audi A4 - Great Features and Annoyances

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
Having had my new "2020 Audi S4 Avant TDI Quattro Pre-Brexit EU Single Market Zero Import Tariff* Black Edition Comfort and Sound" :grinning: for 2 weeks, a list of what I think are great features, and some annoyances (which I will subtitle 'Things I have not worked out yet').

Great Features
  1. Auto Main Beam - I've never had this in a car before, and the car sensing when to go full beam and dip is pretty accurate. At night I just let the car control the headlights and all works well.
  2. Sat Nav Junction Prediction/Efficiency - The sat nav indicates when you are approaching a junction (including those you cannot see) and suggests preparing to brake/driving efficiently.
  3. Stop/Start Function - works really well. I'm very impressed with the 'traffic light pre-sense' feature which starts the engine when the lights change from red to red-amber ready for the green light and a swift get away.
  4. Extended Light Pack - which changes the interior light colour depending on your drive select (e.g. red for dynamic, green for efficiency)
  5. Subwoofer - When setting to maximum this sounds great! The B&O system is excellent.
  6. Quietness - It is really quiet when in comfort mode. Impressive for an oil burner.

Annoyances/Things I have not worked out yet
  1. Transmit destination from myAudi app to car - I can't get this to work (see my other thread). Hopefully this is user error and the dealer will sort this out after I visit them next week.
  2. Radio Favourites - Favourite stations are not listed in alphabetical order. Not sure if you can change this?
  3. Virtual Cockpit iPhone Playlists - When viewing playlists in the main virtual cockpit screen (not the main screen) your entire iPhone track list seems to be displayed (rather than just the album or playlist you are currently playing being shown). See photo below. This is annoying as it is much easier/safer to scroll via the steering wheel using the in-built wheel than via the central touchscreen but having to scroll through my entire library is not practical!
  4. Audi Logo LED Rings only work on the front doors. Although I specified LED rings on a 4 door Avant they only come in the front doors. My daughter would like them on the back doors. I'll see if the dealer can retro fit (perhaps I'll go for the S 'Sport logo' on the back doors)

Overall it's a great car, and the annoyance are very minor (first world problems possibly). If anyone does know a setting to change any of the annoyances, please let me know.

Upload 2019 12 7 16 36 53

Reactions: cuke2u and Andy101
If you have the extended light pack you should be able to pick any colour you want from a rainbow spectrum

Thanks for the review. Get mine in a couple of weeks and the spec sounds identical. Having just come from a rejected Range Rover Velar I can't wait to get back into an Audi with a decent sound system.

Save some cash and get your Audi ring lights off Ali express though, for less than a fiver a pair. I didn't spec them on mine as I couldn't justify the price Audi charge for what is a 5 minute swap out job.

£3.62 6%OFF | For Audi A3 A4 B6 B8 A6 C6 80 B5 B7 A5 Q5 Q7 TT 8P 100 8L C7 8V A1 S3 Q3 A8 B9 allroad S line A7 Quattro Logo LED Car Door Lamp
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/oi12HDEoF

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Also I wasn't aware that the audi ring puddle lights were extra! Mine had them when I picked it up from the show room

Interesting what you say about the BnO subwoofer. Wonder if they made changes to it as most people including me have had a poor experience with it

Also I wasn't aware that the audi ring puddle lights were extra! Mine had them when I picked it up from the show room

Did you get them on the front and rear doors.I paid £115 for mine and they only came on the 2 front doors not the rear ones!?!

Having collected my 2020 A4 S-Line C&S last weekend I completely agree with you WarwickBoy!

I’ve got the same annoyance with sending through SatNav locations to the car and I’m also stuck in an endless installation loop on the MMI where it says it’s trying to install Audi Connect Services but keeps failing. I’m unsure as to what I’m missing out on here as the VC and myAudi app all seem to be working!

Just wondering if your car has the wireless charging pad in the central arm rest. I thought I had it when ordering but there definitely isn’t one on the car.

Having collected my 2020 A4 S-Line C&S last weekend I completely agree with you WarwickBoy!

Just wondering if your car has the wireless charging pad in the central arm rest. I thought I had it when ordering but there definitely isn’t one on the car.

In a strange way I'm glad it is not just me with the myAudi SatNav location to car issue. I'll keep pressing Audi to get it resolved (I have a dealer visit at the end of this week) and will post any solution when I have done so. It seems other models (e.g. new S6) are also getting this annoyance. For me everything also looks fine in the myAudi web site in terms of enabled features. I also had the endless installation loop (setup never completed) but now it has. The myAudi app is a bit flaky on my iPhone. Sometimes it has the "send" option, sometimes not, but I have never had the "Received Destination and Tours" button under Navigation in in MMI.

I do have the wireless charging pad which I think is standard in the S4 (on the specification sheet/Audi configurator it is called 9Zv 'Audi Phone Box with wireless charging'. It is exactly iPhone X Max size, and has a logo to indicate the charging pad and the central screen pops up a message when your phone is charging (see below).

Let's hope Audi sort out these myAudi niggles to make a great car even better. Enjoy your new car!

Upload 2019 12 8 20 15 44

Upload 2019 12 8 20 17 0

Random appearance and disappearance of '"send" option in myAudi app (iOS)

Upload 2019 12 8 20 20 53

Now it's gone!
Upload 2019 12 8 20 22 50

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-8_20-22-13.png
    upload_2019-12-8_20-22-13.png
    30 KB · Views: 254
Hi WarwickBoy - any news on the back of your dealer visit? I’ve been in touch with Audi UK re: the installation loop. Been told that they’ve performed a remote rest of the esim in the vehicle but this doesn’t seem to have changed anything. Did the install loop just disappear on yours or did you have to do something with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Audi Logo LED Rings only work on the front doors. Although I specified LED rings on a 4 door Avant they only come in the front doors. My daughter would like them on the back doors. I'll see if the dealer can retro fit (perhaps I'll go for the S 'Sport logo' on the back doors)
Certainly for the 2019 car they can be retrofitted, and you can get a pair of unofficial puddle projectors from Amazon for about £11. Might be a good compromise

The none official puddle lights are shocking. The difference between genuine and unofficial is like night and day. You can pick up genuine ones on eBay for a fraction of the cost. I managed to bag 2 pairs for £35 per pair.

screenshot included for official vs none

B3DD863B 3FF2 4FBF 9A62 56C60B7E986A

Reactions: WarwickBoy
Hi WarwickBoy - any news on the back of your dealer visit? I’ve been in touch with Audi UK re: the installation loop. Been told that they’ve performed a remote rest of the esim in the vehicle but this doesn’t seem to have changed anything. Did the install loop just disappear on yours or did you have to do something with it?

I have found over the 2 months of ownership, the experience frustrating. Following installation loops I did manage to eventually log in. Then I found services such as 'Send location to the car' were not working. Having raised a technical case with Audi Connect, they advised me not to bother with a dealer visit as the issue was know. Specifically I was told (as I understand others reporting cases such has Scoot1e have also been told) that

""Following an update from our colleagues from the technical department be kindly informed that for Audi A4 vehicles of model year 2020, all Audi connect services which require a myAudi login, are temporarily disabled.

When the update resolving the issue is released you will be informed accordingly, and you will be able to use the service without an issue."

I note now, that the car does not remember the history of "Last Destination" sat nav locations, so assume this is associated with the myAudi login temporary disablement.

I got that email update on my case on 27th December, but have not had any update. I'll probably give them a call on Friday. I would advise you officially raising a technical case with Audi Connect (via 0800-2792884 ) and see what they say. If you do get a solution please let me know, and I'll do the same.

Throughout the process I get the impression there is not much co-ordination on this between the Audi dealers, Audi UK Customer Services and Audi Connect (which seems to be global). I'm hoping for a resolution soon, otherwise mega complaint mode will be initiated!

The none official puddle lights are shocking. The difference between genuine and unofficial is like night and day. You can pick up genuine ones on eBay for a fraction of the cost. I managed to bag 2 pairs for £35 per pair.

View attachment 195982
Good work. I assume that the front ones at the top are the genuine ones :) If I can find a pair for £35 on ebay will probably get some for my back doors.

Going off your photo, my unofficial ones look somewhere in-between your official ones and your unofficial ones. Honestly I got them as a bit of a gimmick but if you had both then the official ones might be better. Some on ebay for £55.

I have found over the 2 months of ownership, the experience frustrating. Following installation loops I did manage to eventually log in. Then I found services such as 'Send location to the car' were not working. Having raised a technical case with Audi Connect, they advised me not to bother with a dealer visit as the issue was know. Specifically I was told (as I understand others reporting cases such has Scoot1e have also been told) that

""Following an update from our colleagues from the technical department be kindly informed that for Audi A4 vehicles of model year 2020, all Audi connect services which require a myAudi login, are temporarily disabled.

When the update resolving the issue is released you will be informed accordingly, and you will be able to use the service without an issue."

I note now, that the car does not remember the history of "Last Destination" sat nav locations, so assume this is associated with the myAudi login temporary disablement.

I got that email update on my case on 27th December, but have not had any update. I'll probably give them a call on Friday. I would advise you officially raising a technical case with Audi Connect (via 0800-2792884 ) and see what they say. If you do get a solution please let me know, and I'll do the same.

Throughout the process I get the impression there is not much co-ordination on this between the Audi dealers, Audi UK Customer Services and Audi Connect (which seems to be global). I'm hoping for a resolution soon, otherwise mega complaint mode will be initiated!

Thanks for the update @WarwickBoy I’ve got a technical case open with them at the moment and the latest I had was we’ve reset the sim in your car and it should work. If not go to the dealer. Sounds like you’ve got a lot more info! I’ll get back in touch with them and see if the story changes at all. If not mega-complaint mode sounds inevitable! Will report back any updates.

You can manually change the order of your stored radio favourites - it used to be an option on a right push of the jog wheel, not sure what the equivalent toggle would be for that menu now...

These are mine - not the best shot as it was far from pitch black when I took it - but gives a good indication of how clear they are. Definitely not as bright as the original ones, but I'm happy enough!
IMG 20200107 163517

You can manually change the order of your stored radio favourites - it used to be an option on a right push of the jog wheel, not sure what the equivalent toggle would be for that menu now...

Good to hear you could do this in the previous generation MMI (with jog wheel). I'll check the manual and try and work out how to do this in the new touchscreen MMI.

For balance I have to say I love the Virtual Cockpit. You notice little things like
- The rev counter and speedo get lighter in relation to the rate of change (i.e. rev/accelerate hard and the colour gets lighter below the dial before fading to level colour when speed is stabilised).

- Most of the time the gear is shown as D1, S2, M6 depending on what mode you are in. Sometimes I note that the number disappears. I have a theory that it does this when the car is using the mild hybrid system for 'crusing' as I notice it generally does this when not accelerating. Is my theory correct?

I have a theory that it does this when the car is using the mild hybrid system for 'crusing' as I notice it generally does this when not accelerating. Is my theory correct?

The number disappears because the box drops out of the gears and coasts. Or if you stop

Reactions: WarwickBoy
The number disappears because the box drops out of the gears and coasts. Or if you stop
OK, thank you. So I think you are saying this does not necessarily mean the engine has stopped, and the car is running on the mid-hybrid system. The engine is so quiet in S4 TDI you can't hear it without opening the window. Is there another way to see it has stopped (perhaps revs dropping to the 'Ready' line)

Annoyances - fake tailpipes
Why is this an annoyance. I'm sure in these environmentally friendly focused climate change aware times it is not "I really want 4 pipes emitting fumes, rather than 2"?

The only annoyance I can think of is that the real pipes get dirty and the fake ones do not, which for me is aesthetically un-pleasing. But I have a found a work around of periodically cleaning them and they look the same.

Why is this an annoyance. I'm sure in these environmentally friendly focused climate change aware times it is not "I really want 4 pipes emitting fumes, rather than 2"?

The only annoyance I can think of is that the real pipes get dirty and the fake ones do not, which for me is aesthetically un-pleasing. But I have a found a work around of periodically cleaning them and they look the same.
They annoy me too. An S Audi shouldn't have fake pipes. It's just cost cutting. Plus having 4 pipes working wouldnt release any more fumes than 2.

They annoy me too. An S Audi shouldn't have fake pipes. It's just cost cutting. Plus having 4 pipes working wouldnt release any more fumes than 2.

There is an option for you coming soon. The 2020 Rs4 which is basically the same car as the S4 but with a petrol engine, slightly better performance, a harder ride and slightly better handling and more sporty styling and no fake exhausts.

There is an option for you coming soon. The 2020 Rs4 which is basically the same car as the S4 but with a petrol engine, slightly better performance, a harder ride and slightly better handling and more sporty styling and no fake exhausts.
....and at least 20k more than an S. I'm over to BMW shortly as sadly Audi now dont offer anything that takes my fancy. The 2020 RS4 has lost its aggressive looks as well post facelift.

....and at least 20k more than an S. I'm over to BMW shortly as sadly Audi now dont offer anything that takes my fancy. The 2020 RS4 has lost its aggressive looks as well post facelift.

I don't think BMW offer the M3 in Touring configuration, so a good option for those who want an estate is the 340i XDrive touring which I believe is cheaper than the S4, or for an RS4 equivalent in saloon configuration clearly the M3 (or M4) are options to go for.

I don't think BMW offer the M3 in Touring configuration, so a good option for those who want an estate is the 340i XDrive touring which I believe is cheaper than the S4, or for an RS4 equivalent in saloon configuration clearly the M3 (or M4) are options to go for.
TRL on baby bmw forum is offering them for £41,700 it's a great car

At that price the 340i xDrive touring is definitely worth a look as that is very competitive against the S4 Avant, which even with the usual site discounts is still > £45,000. It all comes down to specification as course, which can affect overall price. But on paper that looks very good.

(standard spec includes metallic, leather, heated seats, folding mirrors, OS7 Live Cockpit and pro Media, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, Climate control, Reverse Camera, Acoustic Glazing, M Sport Differential, Adaptive LEDs, Ambient Lighting,
Parking Assistant)
That's the standard spec

List Price £50,055 OTR
dealer contribution £6855
BMW contribution £1500
Customer Balance £41,700

Finance Examples (low deposit scheme)
Customer deposit £599 then 47 x £599.28 plus optional GFV payment of £18,729.25
based on 8000 miles pa and 4.9% APR.

Higher deposit example
Customer deposit £5000 then 47 x £496.39 plus optional GFV payment of £18,729.25
based on 8000 miles pa and 4.9% APR
That's TRL's pricing

Wow that’s a good spec. I got a S4 C+S black edition but there was not any option for Sports suspension so having that and M Sport diff as standard makes more for a drivers car than the Quattro S4 I think.