2019 - RS5 Coupe Sport Edition - First impressions - (ex S5 Owner).

Chimp

Reaction score
Hi

So after the advice on here and some negotiations (impending need for dealer to register car before Oct 1st) :)
I have picked up a Glacier White 2019 Sport Edition Coupe!

I have a very well specced 2017 S5 Coupe that I traded in... the initial offers for trade are really week on S5...

My initial thoughts as you would expect it sounds amazing with the sport exhaust (I had the plugs out on S5 but was nowhere near the RS) its seems to snort and gurgle a lot!

The ride is much "sportier" but I would stay lot stiffer than Dynamic setting on the S5 it's shame there isn't the option for changing suspension settings on RS. The 20" alloys probably add to the effect but I like though.

The looks we all know are better, meaner etc but then it's the RS and S5 is a slightly different market/look.

Performance is a lot better although I haven't really opened the taps fully as there is only a few hundred miles on the clock... will start to soon!

I will miss Matrix LED Lights they were amazing on S5 & Adaptive suspension.

Some little things I have noticed have changed on the 2019 model.

The "cubby hole" storage under the lights switch on dash has gone... shame it was good for sunglass storage!

The glove box isn't lockable....WTF is was on S5. Is this part of a Storage pack?

The "boot hooks" for shopping bags are gone as is the sound proofing under the shelf.

The cup holders on the rear arm rest have gone, it still flips down and no storage in it either. Again maybe only in storage package?

I have also noticed that there are a lot less configurable options on the MMI.. Things like central locking options, lights for footwell, folding mirrors etc

The "standard" folding mirrors don't fold on keyfob locking... I believe this can be coded and I will tonight with ODB11.

The one question I do have also is that on the "standard spec sheet" sent from dealer it mentioned "towbar" prep! is this correct.. if so what a waste they could have added something better in the extra money you pay.

I wish they added - LED Matrix light, Led extended pack and maybe the storage pack
I wish the Comfort and Sound didn't include Keyless entry (security risk) and the rear camera...has parking sensors all around and put some more "comfort" in it...

Anyway I will enjoy the car for a bit and report back any updates.

Reactions: Terminator x
The Audi Sport editions have a number of options removed, that are no longer selectable such as extended LED lighting which is why those options aren’t present on the MMI.

You can switch off keyless unlocking in the MMI under the central locking options but the car still lets you lock it by using your finger on the handle.

Glovebox cubby and other parts missing that you mention are part of the storage pack which is not available on the Audi Sport edition.

Personally. I think my mates S5 sounds better than my RS5 (with RS Sports exhaust option) probably as it has one less turbo hoovering up the exhaust gasses.

Reactions: Terminator x and Chimp
It is funny how you get used to stuff and assume that the next level up in the range might have that stuff standard!

I also noticed it must the matrix led not normal led that has the sweeping front indicators... ah well! :)

I think the storage pack is a must in my next car as it also had nets on back of front seats... got nowhere to put my ice scraper :)

It is funny how you get used to stuff and assume that the next level up in the range might have that stuff standard!

I also noticed it must the matrix led not normal led that has the sweeping front indicators... ah well! :)

I think the storage pack is a must in my next car as it also had nets on back of front seats... got nowhere to put my ice scraper :)

Yes it's just the matrix lights that have the sweeping fronts. My own car didnt come with the storage pack but I retrofitted the cubby under the steering wheel - Although half the time I forget it's there and rarely use it! If you want it, theres a post on here somewhere if you do a search for it.

Reactions: Chimp
I have picked up a Glacier White 2019 Sport Edition Coupe!

My initial thoughts as you would expect it sounds amazing with the sport exhaust (I had the plugs out on S5 but was nowhere near the RS) its seems to snort and gurgle a lot!

Performance is a lot better although I haven't really opened the taps fully as there is only a few hundred miles on the clock... will start to soon!

Anyway I will enjoy the car for a bit and report back any updates.

So you’re 4 weeks in now....... updated thoughts/opinions?

Well I have covered a little over 1100 miles now as of the weekend. My impressions are that the suspension that was initially much harder than then adaptive in the S5, it is but I am used to and don't think about it although adaptive on the RS would be the best possible solution if I could have chosen spec.

I am thinking I'm wanting more noise though...I have been looking at the exhaust flap controllers (pricey)!!. I unplugged the exhaust flaps on S5 which was much better, but putting them back in when trading-in was major pain and they didn't work either I assume because of dirt etc, I tried cleaning them etc but still the flaps were open, don't fancy doing this again on the RS.

I believe also the is a sound generator in the bulk head? makes it sound like a Quasi-V8 I am not a fan of to be honest don't think the S5 had it.

Not really managed to go for a full attack mode blast yet for a long time, but the odd occasion of pulling away from junctions etc it is MUCH faster than the S5, (had a MK2 TTRS stage 1 a few years ago) this is much quicker!! The gear box software on the ZF seems better also as roundabouts aren't so much of hesitation fest and kick down doesn't drop about 4 gears to get power.

Missing the Extended LED still :-( it finishes off the cabin to a quality you would expect nowadays... even my 2014 S3 had footwell lights in white whist driving such a shame an easy extra could have been on the sport edition but alas its not.

The stand out thing though is the looks the car gets, even friends and family all comment much more about the car... maybe white is more fetching that Navara Blue I had on S5? But it does look amazing. The Peak Alloys are much better in the flesh and I love them.

Haven't got the car this week as it's in at a local detailer for PPF over the entire front end and ceramic coating, cant wait to see it perfectly clean at the end of the week!

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Have to agree. My RS5 gets more attention than any car I've every owned.

Well I have covered a little over 1100 miles now as of the weekend. My impressions are that the suspension that was initially much harder than then adaptive in the S5, it is but I am used to and don't think about it although adaptive on the RS would be the best possible solution if I could have chosen spec.

Can I ask - you say the RS has harder suspension than the S5? Assuming RS Sports suspension is not the same as what you had before? I know the RS3 has the Magnetic Ride, but I thought the RS5 sports suspension was adjustable depending on drive mode? Or I have got this confused completely? My S5 doesnt have any suspension option, just whatever the factory setting is, but I thought all the RS5's had RS suspension meaning you can change it depending on drive mode?

I am thinking I'm wanting more noise though...

I test drove the RS4 a while back but thought that sounded better than my S5, and I love the sound of my S5, so I'm hoping the RS5 is the same as the RS4. Dont get me wrong more would be better, but I certainly hope the RS is better than my S5 - HOPING!!

The gear box software on the ZF seems better also as roundabouts aren't so much of hesitation fest and kick down doesn't drop about 4 gears to get power.

Thats interesting to hear. I havent test driven the RS5 but I know my S5 has a lag with throttle response, Dynamic improves this somewhat but still there - I am hoping the RS has a quicker response and less lag albeit a small ask but vital in my opinion so I dont upset anyone on roundabouts!

The Peak Alloys are much better in the flesh and I love them.

I will have the Peak alloys as well, I wanted the Trapezoid...... does anyone else have an opinion on either sets?

Thanks for the overall update. I pick my Sportback up either at the weekend or early next week so its good to hear your thoughts as like yourself I'm coming from an S5.

RS4 / 5 definitely doesn't sound as good as the same year S model. I know this as I was parked next to one at a show and we both rev'd the cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

RS4 / 5 definitely doesn't sound as good as the same year S model. I know this as I was parked next to one at a show and we both rev'd the cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. My mate has an S5 and it sounds better. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise to be honest.

Totally agree. My mate has an S5 and it sounds better. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise to be honest.

On the bright side, you will be in front of your mate, so only they will have to listen to your exhaust.

Can I ask - you say the RS has harder suspension than the S5? Assuming RS Sports suspension is not the same as what you had before? I know the RS3 has the Magnetic Ride, but I thought the RS5 sports suspension was adjustable depending on drive mode? Or I have got this confused completely? My S5 doesnt have any suspension option, just whatever the factory setting is, but I thought all the RS5's had RS suspension meaning you can change it depending on drive mode?

I test drove the RS4 a while back but thought that sounded better than my S5, and I love the sound of my S5, so I'm hoping the RS5 is the same as the RS4. Dont get me wrong more would be better, but I certainly hope the RS is better than my S5 - HOPING!!

Thats interesting to hear. I havent test driven the RS5 but I know my S5 has a lag with throttle response, Dynamic improves this somewhat but still there - I am hoping the RS has a quicker response and less lag albeit a small ask but vital in my opinion so I dont upset anyone on roundabouts!

I will have the Peak alloys as well, I wanted the Trapezoid...... does anyone else have an opinion on either sets?

Thanks for the overall update. I pick my Sportback up either at the weekend or early next week so its good to hear your thoughts as like yourself I'm coming from an S5.
The Peak alloys are much nicer IMHO and as they are milled aluminium, they weigh 2kg each less than the Trapezoid. A new set is £10,000 though