1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift 2019 RS3 Coolant Leak

sve170 Nov 5, 2019

1. sve170

sve170 Well-Known Member Audi RS3 Audi S3

Just a heads up to the Forum.
    Got a low coolant warning on my car last week, checked it out and was below MIN level on coolant tank.

Had a good look in engine bay and found evidence of a leak but could not find exact location. Topped-up coolant tank, and over the course of several hours the level dropped again.
    Took it straight to dealer and they found that the coolant pump was leaking.
    They have now replaced the pump and no more issues so far.

My daughter also has a 2019 RS3, have checked her one out and her car also has a leak from exact same area, her car is now with the dealer also getting coolant pump replaced.
    Both cars have only 4000 miles from new.

Let’s hope this not an ongoing issue with the 2019 models.
    Has anyone else on the forum had the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luiggi likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RS03_SEN

RS03_SEN Active Member

****** rich you lot or what? Wife and dog got rs3's as well?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

sve170 likes this.
  4. zaka7

zaka7 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3 S tronic

sve170 likes this.
  5. sve170

On both our cars we had confirmed evidence of coolant leaking.
    Apart from the coolant level dropping over a few hours there was also coolant on our driveway where both cars are parked.

6. sve170

Not rich, just loads of debt

RS03_SEN likes this.
  7. zaka7

zaka7 Well-Known Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3 S tronic

Wasn't suggesting it didn't have a leak, just very strange that there is/was an issue on many RS3. At least yours is sorted now though :D

I do hope you have some good security, you'll be a beacon of light for lots of people with 2 of the beasts parked up! I'm paranoid enough with one!

8. RS03_SEN

RS03_SEN Active Member

Hahaha!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

9. sve170

Yes, I am the same but have CCTV on them but if they want them they will get them.

Just the way our society is these days.

10. Luiggi

Luiggi New Member

:frown: I had a leaking water pump on mine 2019 RS3 (July); :sadlike:4500 km.
    Pump replaced and micro-belt replaced. :icon thumright:

sve170 likes this.
  11. sve170

So that’s three failed Coolant water pumps so far on here.
    There has to be a manufacturing defect on the 2019 models. I wonder if there is potential for a recall on these models?

Luiggi likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. DannyRS3

DannyRS3 Active Member

Good info here - something for all 19+ owners to look out for.

sve170 likes this.
  14. sve170

Yes, fortunately once the level drops below MIN on the Coolant Tank a warning light will appear on the Virtual Cockpit.

I have not checked with dealer but having replaced my coolant pump did they just replace it with the same type & model? or have Audi changed the pump and only changing them when a loss of coolant is found?

15. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Moderator Staff Member Moderator Sportback Gold Supporter Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

So this affects the cars with the OPF only?

16. sve170

I am not sure, my Audi dealer said they had not had any in until mine was booked in.

AudiNutta likes this.
  17. Luiggi

Luiggi New Member

No, my Audi mechanic replaced coolant pump on pre OPF RS3 (30000 km) a week before mine.

sve170 and AudiNutta like this.
  18. EVO855

EVO855 Member

I've done a few 2019 models now, but earlier models don't seem affected on the same scale.

Looks like a faulty seal could be to blame, it's no problem though the leak is very minimal and easy to spot, so not like the car just dumps all it's coolant in one go.

DW81 and sve170 like this.
  19. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

Thanks for given an actual answer what the cause is, will put some owners at ease at least that maybe effected.

sve170 likes this.
  20. sve170

When mine was in for coolant loss investigation all I got from the technician was that the leak was coming directly out of the pump, no other info was given.
    Suspect it was a faulty seal within the pump but cannot confirm that.

21. EVO855

EVO855 Member

Once the coolant drops in the reservoir it’ll trigger the level sensor so you’ll know then something is amiss.
    If this happens check the undertray area and just under the water pump area for signs of staining / moisture.

Don’t automatically assume a failing pump though, the factory filling isn’t great sometimes and over a period the level can drop naturally, so top up accordingly if no leak is evident.

I would expect most owners who check their cars on a regular basis would spot anything amiss anyway.

Oh and on the check your car thing, the Pirelli tyre inner edge wear can be spotted by putting full lock on and getting down on the floor with a torch, you can pretty much view half the tyre inner edge.

sve170 likes this.
  22. sve170

Good explanation, my first indication was the warning light on the Virtual Cockpit, even though I check engine bay on a regular basis.
    There were no initial signs of leakage on the lower trays prior to the warning light appearing, but on opening the bonnet following the warning light there was lots of coolant sitting in the lower tray and signs of ‘dried-up’ coolant.
    So I suspect the coolant had been leaking very slightly but with no evidence on the tray, but then the seal must have completely failed hence the warning light.

23. Jeff Bates

Jeff Bates New Member

Just flagged up on mine too, checked and it’s a touch below minimum, taking it to dealers tomorrow to get them to top it up and book it in, assuming it was at max when I bought it it’s done 3500 ml to reach min level.
    Went to Halfords to get some to top it up and the said they don’t sell it for 19 plate rs3, dunno how true that is, told me it’s something I can only get from Audi direct?

24. EVO855

EVO855 Member

Just tell them you are aware of a water pump leak issue, they should check for the leak and top up accordingly, if it’s just coolant settling down.

25. sve170

Incorrect info from Halfords (as usual).
    The Audi owners manual has the details of which type of coolant is required, don’t use anything else, for emergency top-up use some distilled water if coolant not available.

26. EVO855

EVO855 Member

27. Jeff Bates

Jeff Bates New Member

I read the manual when I got home and found it was G13, they didn’t have this in Halfords, went to the dealers to see if they had any lay about on the off chance but as it was Sunday and no mechanics in none he could lay his hands on.
    The cars packed up for the night so it will be took back down in the morning, only 3 mile away, gonna make sure they give me enough coolant to keep it topped up till it goes in so I’m not dipping into my own pocket

sve170 likes this.