2019 Audi A3.....

Yeah if I was taking delivery now - even March next year - I would have a face lift in a heart beat ... but 1.5 years from its gonna be edging dangerously close to the end of its life & once I see those brand new platform S3’s a year later I could be faced with a tough 2 years - so timing won’t be great for me.

The sensible thing would be to keep the RS3 one extra year till the new S3 is out - but then I’m outa warranty & I’ll get itchy feet & want a new car regardless after 3 years. Maybe I’ll go S4 but not sure what else there will be in the Audi range for me then ?

I really like the current BMW 6 series but thats way too big for me too.

Merc C class AMG is turning my head I must say & then like I say new Merc A will be out this time next year.

just keep yersel away from they mercs and you'll BE fine...lol

Reactions: Tom.H, Snake Pliskin and Flying Scotsman
Hmm my 4 years will be up 2021 so hopefully be able to get a good discount on the new S3 if that's what I end up going with again.

Reactions: Jassyo06
& that’s exactly what may push me down the route of a Merc A45 AMG.

New S3 will be approx 1 year too late for me & doubt 15% discount will be possible for initial batch of cars.

For delivery March 19 new platform Merc would be perfect.

I’ll need convincing though as considered one for my last 2 cars.

2013 went in Merc showroom, sat in a regular A class, felt claustrophobic & didn’t like scratchy cheap plastics. Did not have a test drive & went down the road to my usual Audi dealer - test drove an S5 and loved it.
Estoril blue pup ordered :)

2015 went to Merc again - sat in a showroom car & still didn’t gel with it. No test drive. Went to Audi & ordered an RS3 lol :)

The A class is really cramped, Audi make good use of the space. Even for the driver I found the A class cramped and the dash with a massive slab of plastic on top is awful.

Yeah if I was taking delivery now - even March next year - I would have a face lift in a heart beat ... but 1.5 years from its gonna be edging dangerously close to the end of its life & once I see those brand new platform S3’s a year later I could be faced with a tough 2 years - so timing won’t be great for me.

The sensible thing would be to keep the RS3 one extra year till the new S3 is out - but then I’m outa warranty & I’ll get itchy feet & want a new car regardless after 3 years. Maybe I’ll go S4 but not sure what else there will be in the Audi range for me then ?

I really like the current BMW 6 series but thats way too big for me too.

Merc C class AMG is turning my head I must say & then like I say new Merc A will be out this time next year.

Hmm my 4 years will be up 2021 so hopefully be able to get a good discount on the new S3 if that's what I end up going with again.

Glad it’s not just me who think like this, I was going to keep The Hulk for 4 years but then I started looking around at a ton of cars and fell in love with the FL. It’s going 6 months early but I’m gaining a lot over the pre facelift and more doors which is what I’m fancying.

Trying decide on a 3/4 term, looking to be 3 years I think so will be up March 2021. Would have probably had 12 months of seeing the new S3 and get the itch quickly.

Plus adding the 4th year warranty to mine would be costly as I’d attract 3 years worth of premium car tax in the process.

I was told by my dealer the warranty addition doesn't affect the car tax? Is this not so?

Can you not buy it once the car has been registered? That way it shouldn't affect the price for the purpose of the higher VED.

It has to be done prior to registration, but dealer suggested supplementary invoice :)

Can you not buy it once the car has been registered? That way it shouldn't affect the price for the purpose of the higher VED.

Yes but I think you have to get a quote in the 2rd year and it’s like triple the price.

It has to be done prior to registration, but dealer suggested supplementary invoice :)

I had it confirmed, warranties and service packs are excluded from the premium tax calculations.

Personally I'm much more interested in the inside and and the latest MMI than what it will look like from the outside. I look at and use use the interior far more than the outside which will not change that much from the existing A3.

This will be an even more serious consideration than usual on the next model as the MMI/infotainment will all be based on Android by then so will be significantly different.

This will be a big factor for me come the time as Audi's interior tech is one of the things which keeps me with the brand as I really don't like the systems their main competitors use.

Reactions: The Challinor
I was told by my dealer the warranty addition doesn't affect the car tax? Is this not so?

Officially, it's based on the P11D value of the car. This document is used for company car declarations and tax calculations but the same system is used for the £40k threshold calc.

Parkers have this page: https://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/2012/what-is-p11d/

Of note: "The P11D value of your car comprises the list price, including VAT, plus any delivery charges, but does not include the car's first registration fee or its annual road tax."

Officially, it's based on the P11D value of the car. This document is used for company car declarations and tax calculations but the same system is used for the £40k threshold calc.

Parkers have this page: https://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/2012/what-is-p11d/

Of note: "The P11D value of your car comprises the list price, including VAT, plus any delivery charges, but does not include the car's first registration fee or its annual road tax."

Yep, looking back actually and quoting Helen from the DVLA VED Reform Project

It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence.

I'm well past the limit but, as stated in the other thread, getting an S3 saloon under the limit is almost impossible unless you add no options at all :p

Reactions: The Challinor and Tom.H
This will be an even more serious consideration than usual on the next model as the MMI/infotainment will all be based on Android by then so will be significantly different.

This will be a big factor for me come the time as Audi's interior tech is one of the things which keeps me with the brand as I really don't like the systems their main competitors use.
I'm the opposite. The current MMI is the thing I dislike most about my current A3. Even the setup in my wife's Polo is more logical and easier to use. Let's hope Audi see sense.

I find the MMI perfectly logical but maybe that's just because I've been using it for so long.

As long as they don't go to ****** touchscreens! Things should be outlawed.

Reactions: Pook and Tom.H
I find the MMI perfectly logical but maybe that's just because I've been using it for so long.

As long as they don't go to ****** touchscreens! Things should be outlawed.

Judging by the new A7 and A8, I think it's going that way. Hopefully, voice control will become much better and we can use that more... seems logical with all these 'home assistant' things that everyone seems to have like the Amazon Echo for example.

I'm in two minds about what to do when it comes to renewal, I'll be massively over my mileage limit, so I'll have to weigh it up carefully. I'll probably stay within the VAG group, but head over the next-gen Golf or Leon next time around. It's very hard to find something with AWD, a decent Auto-box and 300-odd-bhp... also might consider a BMW 330i X-Drive Touring next aswell...

I considered this before a FL S3, decided against it.

d0ce8f08d1765ac12a3ed3e3b746fabd.jpg

Reactions: Pinky1959, Jassyo06, BarryG79 and 2 others
@The Challinor - ^ Very nice indeedy !
335d x- drive per chance ?
If it is I was getting a discount of just over £11k on a new 1 of these recently

That does look good, what made you opt for the S3?

Yer I specced up a 335 X drive shadow edition saloon. I had a few test drives and got pretty close to committing.

I could take at length about the car which did have its plus points but ultimately it wasn’t for me. I couldn’t find myself getting on with the handling / steering ( which is odd I know as the 3 series is on paper meant to be one of the best handling cars around ). I felt the steering required a lot of tuning and it had a definite dead spot when going straight which is not what you want at speed.

Maybe it was just because it’s a mid size saloon but it handled nothing like the S3 ( hot hatch ).
Again it was fast in a straight line but little drama, the diesel noise didn’t help either.

Interior wise wasn’t as good, dials very dated, still has a handbrake - so no hold assist ( the auto creep annoys me greatly ).

iDrive - I liked the side by side view and wireless Apple CarPlay was awesome, no google earth view which once you have it it’s hard to leave behind.

The car I posted above was the right colour, again had reservations about the boot which a batch style being more practical for large objects.

I did really try to not buy my 4th S3 as I’ve been driving them for 10+ years now. I got to thinking though if you know there is something you love and it excites you then **** it, carry on regardless.

Reactions: TYb, Tom.H and Bristle Hound
My last two cars were an F80 M3 and a 340i. Before that I had X5s with the electronic brake and it seemed really retro to go back to a manual handbrake. You soon get used to it.

reason I got rid of the M3 and went to an S3 was to be sensible with the monthly outgoings. The 340 I had was a shocker depreciation wise.

My last two cars were an F80 M3 and a 340i. Before that I had X5s with the electronic brake and it seemed really retro to go back to a manual handbrake. You soon get used to it.

reason I got rid of the M3 and went to an S3 was to be sensible with the monthly outgoings. The 340 I had was a shocker depreciation wise.

They suggested I looked at a 340i as I mentioned I wasn't a fan of the diesel sound. The fact that it was slower and worse on fuel made me not look at it in the first place.

I had a 330i m sport from 2006 to 2008.

The straight six engine was an absolute peach !

But I also got burned financially too & said I’d never get another Bimmer again. The fleet market floods the car industry with Bimmers so end result residuals nitcgreat for private owners.

M performance cars be better but not sure ?

I had a 330i m sport from 2006 to 2008.

The straight six engine was an absolute peach !

But I also got burned financially too & said I’d never get another Bimmer again. The fleet market floods the car industry with Bimmers so end result residuals nitcgreat for private owners.

M performance cars be better but not sure ?

Maybe if the M140i ever gets X Drive

Or let's face it, my life is destined to be forever S3 filled :sunglasses:

M cars are marginally better. BMW provide support for them quite often so you'll see a 6k plus deposit contribution, and this is available to all not just via a broker. I can't remember seeing this for RS in the old days of limited runs, nowadays it tends to be toward the end of the model run.

As SP says though, the fleet deals must kill them. That or the differentiation between a 340 and a 320 is not accounted by the market. Maybe Audi have the S brand helps.

Bmw will soon catch up with Audi ie in the small car sector 1series /A3, the new 1series is due out next year, the new 5 series truly blows the A4 and and other marquee right out of the water but it always has, bmw need to apply/use some of the quality of the new 5 series down through the cars below it in the range, this is what Audi do best as there are no perceived differences in quality from a A5 to a A3 etc, bmw also need to standardise certain aspects of spec throughout there car range there new digital dash isn't or wasn't available to all LCI models, where as Audi have introduced it in most there new/face lifted cars

Maybe if the M140i ever gets X Drive
@The Challinor - Strangely the M140i's are available with x-drive on mainland Europe
Me thinks they would double the sale of these fugly cars with x-drive

Bmw will soon catch up with Audi ie in the small car sector 1series /A3, the new 1series is due out next year, the new 5 series truly blows the A4 and and other marquee right out of the water but it always has, bmw need to apply/use some of the quality of the new 5 series down through the cars below it in the range, this is what Audi do best as there are no perceived differences in quality from a A5 to a A3 etc, bmw also need to standardise certain aspects of spec throughout there car range there new digital dash isn't or wasn't available to all LCI models, where as Audi have introduced it in most there new/face lifted cars
@jassyo06 - Just found out that the virtual dash/digi dash will be standard fit on the Cupra's
Showing in the new November Seat brochure along with back lit kick plates
No idea, as yet, from what BW yet tho'

BMW just need some decent designers, for the 1 series at least anyway. Ugly looking think imo, even the latest one.

M cars are marginally better. BMW provide support for them quite often so you'll see a 6k plus deposit contribution, and this is available to all not just via a broker. I can't remember seeing this for RS in the old days of limited runs, nowadays it tends to be toward the end of the model run.

As SP says though, the fleet deals must kill them. That or the differentiation between a 340 and a 320 is not accounted by the market. Maybe Audi have the S brand helps.

The BMW discounts are stupid but you can’t buy it cause it’s cheap!

Their S brand is the M140, M240 etc

@The Challinor - Strangely the M140i's are available with x-drive on mainland Europe

@jassyo06 - Just found out that the virtual dash/digi dash will be standard fit on the Cupra's
No doubt they'll up the cost of the car ye don't get nowt for nowt lol

The kick plates on Audi's are about £300 I think and they only say A3...

Reading the news about VW discontinuing the Jetta in the UK, this does actually make me wonder about the A3 saloon.

The reason VW have discontinued the Jetta is that the UK is in love with hatchbacks and doesn't generally like small saloons. You only have to look on the roads to see how incredibly few A3 saloons there are around compared to hatchbacks. Remember that the saloon was created for the US market, not here.

It thus wouldn't surprise me if, come the new model, there's no saloon for the UK market any more.

Reading the news about VW discontinuing the Jetta in the UK, this does actually make me wonder about the A3 saloon.

The reason VW have discontinued the Jetta is that the UK is in love with hatchbacks and doesn't generally like small saloons. You only have to look on the roads to see how incredibly few A3 saloons there are around compared to hatchbacks. Remember that the saloon was created for the US market, not here.

It thus wouldn't surprise me if, come the new model, there's no saloon for the UK market any more.

If that’s the case then the A3 convertible should definitely get the chop

Nah plenty of muppets in the UK love convertibles, despite our abysmal climate.

I'd still take them over a hatchback though. I've totally gone off hatchbacks - it's like 99% of everything on the road these days is an SUV or a hatchback.

BMW just need some decent designers, for the 1 series at least anyway. Ugly looking think imo, even the latest one.

The new X2 is the best looking car in its class it'll be a real head turner
New Z4 looks off the scale hopefully BMW will stick with most of the design of the concept car they where showing off back in the summer

The saloon is far better looking than the Sportback but practicality won. Well the 2k saving did unfortunately, and the wife said SB as well. Had two saloons prior so I didn't see the issue apart from the cost.

The saloon is far better looking than the Sportback but practicality won. Well the 2k saving did unfortunately, and the wife said SB as well. Had two saloons prior so I didn't see the issue apart from the cost.

The SB is definitely the more practical option and I love the mini estate look you get when you add roof rails.

I don't understand your logic why the saloon could be discontinued when the new car arrives, because the VW Jetta has been discontinued wtf? They have never sold well recently, its had its day after many decades of manufacture So with your logic in mind there would only be a A3 Sportback? because Audi will discontinue the 3 door hatch back, l see plenty of saloons on the roads and even on here, if they do anything with the saloon it'll be more a 4 door coupe like the CLA or similar to the 4 series Grand Coupe or just keep it as it's designation implies