2018_19 MMI Map Update

Gingertom

Reaction score
Just noticed the latest map updates have appeared in myAudi. All loaded to the car via SD card without problems.

Reactions: cuke2u and psychopomp1
I've attached a screenshot from my PC suitably edited to remove my vehicle vin details from the link but you'll see it's from the usual place in the 'older' myAudi. I've just checked and it's also shown on the beta version of the new myAudi site also.
MyAudi 2018 19 map update

Reactions: psychopomp1
Ha! Thanks to Gingertom’s screenshot above I’ve just rediscovered the MyAudi website. I have the app but have never visited the web page (apart from the online tracker when following the build).

Everything’s been set up, I can see my car etc. I just completely forgot about the website.

Reactions: Gingertom
Hi all. Have had my vehicle a couple of days so still very much getting to grips with things. Where I live we have a relatively new link road, handy for the motorway. It was completed in Summer 2017. My 2018 Audi A4 doesn't have this road on it. I tried updating the map via a USB stick but it wasn't highlighted when I cam to update. It then said update via the car, can't remember the exact words, so I tried this and it failed.

At a bit of a loss as to how I update the map and why a brand new 2018 car doesn't have the most up-to-date maps installed?

Fantastic car in every other way just taking some getting used to the MMI functionality etc.

I've always carried out the map update using SD card to 'guarantee' a good download from the myAudi website (image above). I've always been afraid of a wifi interruption creating problems with the download and then corrupting the whole nav system. My cautious approach is probably OTT but when you do the first one while still grappling with all sorts of other known unknowns with the tech I play safe.
So, I always use my laptop to save the download and have a handy backup (including a roll back version should I ever need it). As the instruction in the car manual and website state ensure you have Java installed on your computer as this is needed. The download itself results in; Mib1 and Mib2 folders, an .md5 file and a text file named metainfo2. Sometimes there also a .xml file called WMPinfo included in the download but looking back on previous downloads not always. I then copy the entire download package to SD card for loading onto the MMI using the appropriate SD1 or SD2 card slot.
In MMI go to; Menu/Settings/System Maintenance (left control button)/System Update.. The MMI screen will prompt to select what you want to do and once the source is selected then 'prepare' the download and then begin installation and verification. Takes a few minutes depending on the size of the download. Simple.
PS lots of words so here's a link to someone else's youtube video showing the same process using a USB drive;

Thanks for the screenshots Ginger, I'm definitely not seeing the map updates option in MyAudi (on both old and new beta websites). Could it have something to do with the fact that my Navigation is SD card based and requires me to visit the dealers for map updates? In that case would they just give me a new SD card? Also is it free 5 map updates in the first 3 years and then chargeable after that? How much do Audi charge per update when you've used up your free allowance?

Hi all. Have had my vehicle a couple of days so still very much getting to grips with things. Where I live we have a relatively new link road, handy for the motorway. It was completed in Summer 2017. My 2018 Audi A4 doesn't have this road on it. I tried updating the map via a USB stick but it wasn't highlighted when I cam to update. It then said update via the car, can't remember the exact words, so I tried this and it failed.

At a bit of a loss as to how I update the map and why a brand new 2018 car doesn't have the most up-to-date maps installed?

Fantastic car in every other way just taking some getting used to the MMI functionality etc.
Both my car and my partners 2018 Ford Fiesta hasn't got a road that was opened in 2015. It is a common issue with maps supplied by either the manufacturers or thirty party ones and we just have to live with it. It is why many use Waze...

Thanks for the screenshots Ginger, I'm definitely not seeing the map updates option in MyAudi (on both old and new beta websites). Could it have something to do with the fact that my Navigation is SD card based and requires me to visit the dealers for map updates? In that case would they just give me a new SD card? Also is it free 5 map updates in the first 3 years and then chargeable after that? How much do Audi charge per update when you've used up your free allowance?
You won't, as you've a SD based sat nav you will need to purchase a new card then have it activated by Audi. Over £400 in cost...

Reactions: psychopomp1
This is probably a stupid question, but if you select Google maps as the map source, doesn't this remove the need for updating the Audi map?

This is probably a stupid question, but if you select Google maps as the map source, doesn't this remove the need for updating the Audi map?

I wouldn't say it's a stupid question and it makes sense that it would use Google Earth for the navigation. Unfortunately it only uses the built in information and the Google Earth aspect is just a graphical overlay, so while it will show a new roundabout near me on the display, the navigation just shows the road running straight through the middle of it...

I was wondering the same... I have figured out the issue I was having updating the map. I hadn't enable JAVA on my Mac so hopefully tonight I'll be able to update without any issues.

If you have Java (JRE) installed, download the .jnlp file from the link in MyAudi and open that with "Java Web Start Launcher". No browser reliance is required using this method. Why they haven't made this simpler is beyond me.

Reactions: Fozzie1960 and cuke2u
Also is it free 5 map updates in the first 3 years and then chargeable after that? How much do Audi charge per update when you've used up your free allowance?
Which was going to be my next question. I have one more 'free' update to come so after that I'm going to be at the mercy of the dealership unless I'm pointed to a solid reliable third party source.
That said, the number of minor inaccuracies I've experienced isn't a big deal so maybe the answer is waze? did I read somewhere that the waze app is going to be available through carplay shortly?

Which was going to be my next question. I have one more 'free' update to come so after that I'm going to be at the mercy of the dealership unless I'm pointed to a solid reliable third party source.
That said, the number of minor inaccuracies I've experienced isn't a big deal so maybe the answer is waze? did I read somewhere that the waze app is going to be available through carplay shortly?

Yeah, I think that Waze is supposed to be available to use on Apple CarPlay once the iOS12 update comes out, which I imagine will be around Sept/Oct?

Sorry can't help you re: cost of further map updates but yes, once iOS 12 is released (around Sept) then third party navigation apps such as Waze, Google Maps etc will be supported on Apple CarPlay. IMHO there's nothing better than using Google Maps for navigation - due to reliability, updated maps and above all, ease of use.

I believe, in looking through a search, that Waze already works on Android Auto, although not tested it myself. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

Reactions: craigomills
my.audi.com is saying that my maps are up to date, when I know for a fact that they're not :(

I did mine yesterday and found that just after it completed, on full screen mode on the VC, the entire map was shifted to the left so that my position was actually under the gauge on the left. This left a black void on the right of the screen like it had been chopped off. A manual reset of the MMI (hold the two toggle switches up, then press down on the wheel) fixed it for me, so thought I'd share in case people had any issues themselves. :)

my.audi.com is saying that my maps are up to date, when I know for a fact that they're not :(
Never seen that message before as it states the same map can be downloaded any number of times. That's the website and also not the beta one?

I notices on the BETA site, it said that the maps were up-to-date with no option to download but the other site unlimited downloads of all regions were available.

Reactions: Daggerit and cuke2u
And you have the upgraded version versus the SD based version? Sorry if this is stuff that you've covered but I'm just trying to see if there's any reasons behind it... :)

Yeah, I have the Technology Pack. I've updated the maps twice before using that terrible Java app and a USB drive. I have no idea why it thinks my car doesn't need a map update :/

Reactions: Daggerit
Yeah, I have the Technology Pack. I've updated the maps twice before using that terrible Java app and a USB drive. I have no idea why it thinks my car doesn't need a map update :/

I really don't know then! I wonder if it's worth checking periodically over the next couple weeks to see if it suddenly sorts itself out.

Yes it could just be a glinch, just make sure you've cleared your browsers history etc as well...