jgbedford

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an RS3, and can't find any information if there were any changes either mechanically or cosmetically between 2018, 2019 or 2020. I live in Canada, so unfortunately the hatch back is not available. The RS3 in Canada is only available in Sedan form.

There are some really good prices on low KM 2018's, but don't want to miss out on any significant goodies that may have been added in 2019 or 2020, now that it is available.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: TDI-line
I’m not sure there’s any difference on those models in Canada unlike Europe where the 2019 models onwards had an OPF fitted to meet EU regulations?

Probably the only main difference is there are fewer options on the 2019 onward models as Audi removed things like the design pack and launched the Sport Edition which comes with SS seats, sunroof and sports exhaust.

I could be wrong though so I’m sure others may input and help.

Think those packs are country / region specific so wouldn't apply to Canada

The USA /Canadian versions are still using the Daza version as far as I’ve read.

The UK is now subject to the DWNA engine which splits opinion but still a great RS3 engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doohie and Riko0073
The North American engine has stayed the same (unlike Europe). All Canadian RS3 have virtual cockpit, SS seats (power lumbar only), sunroof, and B&O. Black tip sports exhaust is an option. Carbon ceramic brakes were a stand alone option in 2018, but dropped the following year. Carbon ceramics were also available in the US, but required a package with staggered wheels/tires and fixed suspension (also dropped in 2019). In 2018 one could order red stitching for the interior, but there was no red design package (red vents and seatbelts, RS3 logo in the floor mats). Slight changes with the knee pads (mono pur in the UK?) that could be plain, wrapped with leatherette or alcantara. Sometime in 2018 Audi started to install brake ducts for the front rotors. There are different versions of the front rotors.

The 5 cylinder engine sucks a lot of air and that means (in Ottawa anyway) the brine and sand placed on the winter roads will clog the engine air filter. Pop the hood (bonnet) and check the ductwork that leads to the air cleaner box. If there is debris on the top outside of the duct, your filter is clogged. After two winters I had calcium deposits on the inside of the air box.

On your test drive you need to make sure that you get the car into dynamic. The car always restarts in comfort, so you must select dynamic after every (yes every) restart. Best of luck searching for a car that suits your needs.

Reactions: Terminator x, jgbedford and Colin A
Hi Steve, thank you for your insights on Canadian Rs3’s.

I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Ceramic was only available in 2018? Not 2019 or 2020? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I have never had ceramic brakes before.

2. I understand the car has an optional magnetic / dynamic suspension. Worth while? I’ve had it in my last two cars and really like it. Soft when I have my wife in the car. Stiff the rest of the time.

Are there any mechanical issues I should be worried about?

Thanks!

In the UK ceramic brakes were not available after the WLTP changes, the option disappeared along with extended upholstery, and things got rolled into different packages. Likely that is different in the N. American market though. You might have better luck with NAM questions on audizine or one of the other forums pal.

Mag ride is totally worth it IMO. When on the car handles amazingly, but it's like a pogo stick on speed pumps and crappy roads, and on soft its very comfy. Only caveat is if you intend to lower it you will need to get mag ride recalibrated, where as the standard suspension you won't. Here the mag ride was rolled into the sport package with exhaust and a sunroof and black trim, and I don't think it can be deleted unless you go for the lesser equipped model. Again, likely to be totally different in Canada but check the audi configurator if you are thinking of a new one.

Do NA cars really still get the DAZA engine? I thought they were DNWA too, just without the GPF filter?

Reactions: jgbedford
When I bought the car with ceramic brakes it went like this:
Power wow
Engine sound wow
Snow and ice wow
Virtual cockpit wow
Brakes with square tires alright
Handling with square tires alright
After changing to the staggered tires it went to this:
Brakes with stagger wow
Handling with stagger wow

Always impressed by the car when I hammer the brakes on a highway exit and the car auto shifts down a gear to over 4000 rpm and then instantly down another gear. The downshifts depend on how hard one hits the brakes.

The magride is the standard and the fixed suspension is the option. The fixed suspension is a 0 cost option in the US, but is folded into a package in Canada. With rough roads and potholes the magride is a must for me. A few days ago I had the magride recalibrated at the dealer and the driveline slack all but disappeared. It looks like the recalibrated magride has improved the traction control, but need some snow to confirm.

My only warranty claim was for a front ball joint. In Canada there is a big swing in outdoor temperature during the Spring season. Plastic parts do not like this. Last Spring the car picked up a small coolant leak, neither the dealer or independent have been able to discover the leak. At least two radiators have been replaced in Ottawa.

If you drive like a hooligan you will wear out the inside edges of the front tires. Pay attention to the traction control and you will be fine.

Having tried many tires I have some insight into the best practice. All my new tires have been road forced to under 10 pounds (never heard of metric numbers). For an RS car you should be under 15 pounds.

Having tried many tires I have some insight into the best practice. All my new tires have been road forced to under 10 pounds (never heard of metric numbers). For an RS car you should be under 15 pounds.

Qué??

Road force balancing has been available in North America for over 20 years. On my RS3 I never experienced any vibration that can happen at highway speeds. However, all roads were rough (at any speed) if the road force was above the numbers I mentioned. The car drove noticeably smoother with low road force numbers. At one point I had a road force number of 35 on a front tyre. Expect some push back if you request/insist on low road force numbers at the dealer or tyre shop.

At one point I had a road force number of 35 on a front tyre.

Hi Steve - I have had tires road force balanced - but was never given the numbers they were tested to. Is 35 pounds a typical number, and what we need to request is much lower than normal road force balance numbers?

Does the RS3 suffer from high speed vibrations?

Had road force balancing for 15 years and only discovered the numbers when I had problems with the RS3. I suspect 35 pounds would be OK on an SUV. It is a bit of an art to get the low numbers. If the machine has a laser it is easier for the operator. One tire shop owner admitted that they do not calibrate the machine very often. The place I visit has two machines so I figure they should be more aware if one machine is out of wack.

With snow and ice jammed into the wheels I have had vibrations many times. As long as there is no snow everything is fine.

I ended up picking up a 2019 with mag ride.... I'm in love... only had it for a few days now but went for a long drive yesterday and was really impressed. It's fast... really fast. Easy to drive, compliant when cruising, but surgical when pushing it. This is my first Audi and all wheel drive car.... and I'm really enjoying it!

Reactions: RS03???, Luiggi, Riko0073 and 1 other person
Does anyone know if u can stagger fron and rear tires on a rs 235 on the fronts 245 on the rears can this be done

Does anyone know if u can stagger fron and rear tires on a rs 235 on the fronts 245 on the rears can this be done
Did Audi not set up for wider tyres on the fronts with the wider wheel to help with the under steer? Not sure wider on the rears would be a good idea but I’m no expert and sure someone more knowledgeable will chip in.

Whats the reason for wider rears?

Audi actually has equipped the RS3 with a reverse stagger set up. A reverse stagger puts the wider tyres on the front, while a regular stagger puts the wider tyres on the rear. As far as I know, this is the first time any car company has used a reverse stagger. Bigger tyres on the front help with understeer.

Placing different tyres on the front/rear axles requires some thought. Audi uses a different profile, 30 on the front and 35 on the rear. Tyres (front and back) need to be matched with a similar diameter to keep the car in balance. A 235/35 on the front and 245/35 does not appear to be a match from my point of view. Placing the wider tyres at the rear is more appropriate for a RWD car.

Reactions: Riko0073