2018 s3 tuning question

S3drew

Reaction score
Hi guys not posted for a while, have an early 18 s3 saloon pre gpf model, currently running the jb4 box on my s3 but thinking of having the car tuned properly now,just wondered what people are running on there s3s, don't want silly power just wondered if its worth the jump to a proper map over a box and is there a tcu tune for the 7 speed dsg at the moment, thanks in advance, Andy
Screenshot 20190716 213336

2017 Facelift with Revo Stage 2 Hardware and Software including DSG map 399.9Bhp 561Nm

I believe the stage 1 software only take it up to between 350 - 370bhp and 450 - 490Nm

Oh wow that sounds impressive mate what sort of cost am I looking at for that
2017 Facelift with Revo Stage 2 Hardware and Software including DSG map 399.9Bhp 561Nm

I believe the stage 1 software only take it up to between 350 - 370bhp and 450 - 490Nm

Mine came in at £4,332 not a cheap option but I had been toying with the idea for a year. Breakdown consisted of:
Performance pack and hardware at £2493
Overrun Map £100 (Optional)
Miltek Sports Cat £807 (Optional)
Labour £210
Then the killer of VAT £722
The torque is addictive and I'm sure there will be others on here with a stage 2 who will agree.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/performance-pack/mqb-20tsi-is38-performance-pack

From what I can see a stage 1 APR remap is around £800 and gets you from around 300ft.lbs/300hp to around 350ft.lbs/350hp. A TCU (DSG) upgrade is about £800 on top of that, so both for £1600 including VAT.

I dont know the difference between a S3 standard stage 1 to a A3 stage 1, but I have been quoted 425.00 from Revo for stage 1, that includes VAT.

The biggest gain is no doubt the remap, after that its fairly incremental depending on the hardware you have. Whats your budget? The best option for better gains over a stage 1 remap (without breaking the bank) is to upgrade the intake and go to someone like MRC for a stage 2 (custom) tune (plus DSG tune for an auto). That will total under 2k but should get you to around 380bhp.

Add in a sports cat / downpipe, maybe an exhaust, an uprated intercooler and you are looking at closer to 420bhp, but this will cost the best part of another 3 grand.

so it really depends on what you are willing to spend. My car is currently a half way house. intake, intercooler, racing plugs and an mrc stage 2. It made 390 that day in 25C heat. As the exhaust side is still standard it's not running quite as high boost as it could because of the back pressure. Im toying with the idea of doing the cat / downpipe and going back for another remap (basically, to allow a bit more boost), but its hard to justify the best part of 2 grand to get another 25, maybe 30 bhp as I'm not sure it would feel that much quicker. Another 30 equates to a 7.5% gain, so imagining that would be equivalent to removing 7.5% of the weight so around 120kgs, or rather the difference in my car with 2 small adults in the back or not. Its not that much of a difference for 2 grand.

Those tuning boxes do produce some fairly decent figures (as good as a stage 1 remap) so for you to feel like you've had value for money I think you would have to go full stage 2 or certainly close to that.

Last edited:
The biggest gain is no doubt the remap, after that its fairly incremental depending on the hardware you have. Whats your budget? The best option for better gains over a stage 1 remap (without breaking the bank) is to upgrade the intake and go to someone like MRC for a stage 2 (custom) tune (plus DSG tune for an auto). That will total under 2k but should get you to around 380bhp.

My car is currently a half way house. intake, intercooler, racing plugs and an mrc stage 2......

Hi, is yours and 8V? A cursory look at the MRC website seems to show the 8P as the latest series they provide maps for.

EDIT: I found it for the 8V - oddly it's under the "exotics" tab, not the Audi one! a Stage 1 plus DSG is £1250 (probably plus VAT) Stage 2 is only £100 more, hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Ah, no, further reading tells me the prices include VAT, and the DSG map is discounted by 50% if done at the same time as a remap - so a stage 1 plus DSG id around £950. That's pretty good IMO - and my S3 is out of warranty next March.

Thanks for your reply guys yeah im not chasing huge power and the jb4 I have is good but would like a proper map done on it and also the tcu tune as I find it a bit snatchy going from 1st to second sometimes especially if I'm using the paddles, I may do the hard ware bits myself and go for a stage 2 map and tcu tune, I only knew of revo doing it to be honest

I'm the same as Damo, I'm halfway with Stage 1.5 with a turbo to filter induction kit, Milltek Decat and GPF delete with custom tune on engine and DSG and I'm currently 380/509 with pop and bang map and a few other add ons.

I paid more than half that of the Revo/APR kit and its fully custom rather than just a generic map loaded on.

Depending on location I'd go MRC or if you're in Scotland like me then use Infinit Performance, TR Hamza used and reviewed them with his RS3 last week.

I'm the same as Damo, I'm halfway with Stage 1.5 with a turbo to filter induction kit, Milltek Decat and GPF delete with custom tune on engine and DSG and I'm currently 380/509 with pop and bang map and a few other add ons.

I paid more than half that of the Revo/APR kit and its fully custom rather than just a generic map loaded on.

Depending on location I'd go MRC or if you're in Scotland like me then use Infinit Performance, TR Hamza used and reviewed them with his RS3 last week.

Its worth considering an intercooler upgrade. It does make a difference even on a stock car especially in the warmer weather (I did this before the remap). The car pulls a little stronger and with no fade in power at all.

Thanks for your reply guys yeah im not chasing huge power and the jb4 I have is good but would like a proper map done on it and also the tcu tune as I find it a bit snatchy going from 1st to second sometimes especially if I'm using the paddles, I may do the hard ware bits myself and go for a stage 2 map and tcu tune, I only knew of revo doing it to be honest

With an MRC remap you get full boost in all gears. Some of the off the shelf remaps I think still run reduced boost certainly in 1st gear like the stock car does (which is also reduced in 2nd) . For mechanical sympathy I tend not to rag it in 1st, but when I do for the occasional lols it is absolutely ballistic.

Its worth considering an intercooler upgrade. It does make a difference even on a stock car especially in the warmer weather (I did this before the remap). The car pulls a little stronger and with no fade in power at all.

It'll probably be my next move but at the moment everything is running well and it's just stupidly quick so I'll see how I feel next year!

I agree about 1st gear it's an absolutely mental gear, I was doing 0-60 pulls after I got the work done and it caught me off guard every time

Reactions: Damo S
I agree about 1st gear it's an absolutely mental gear, I was doing 0-60 pulls after I got the work done and it caught me off guard every time

Yep. I've done some sub 4 second 0 to 60s (indicated) without even doing a proper launch. It seems to go through 1st and 2nd gears very quickly.