Facelift 2018 RS3 Fixed Sport Suspension?

tjacoby

Reaction score
Looking for guidance from the RS3 brain-trust. I'm in Canada with a 2015 S3 and have a build slot for a 2018 RS3 I'm spec'ing out with my dealer. My biggest complaint with the S3 is the suspension - Comfort has the shocks too soft, Dynamic has the springs too soft, and don't ever hit a bump at speed in a fast corner.

The RS3 offers the RS Fixed Sport Suspension as a small upgrade over the standard Mag Suspension. But what does this really mean - I will never track this car, I love fast corners, but also like my wife willing to travel with me. She easily puts up with the 'fixed suspension' in my old 348 spider with a smile, and to me it's near perfect. But what does Audi do with their RS Sedan's suspensions? My dealer says my wife won't hate the fixed suspension. Our roads are in good to very good shape.

Thoughts please.

I certainly have no need for mag suspension whatsoever - the standard ride is more than adequate! If you think that dynamic has the springs too soft, then I cannot imagine what you are looking for..!

the standard ride is more than adequate!

Thanks! I can't have what I want; Evora Suspension and balance, C63 power,Quattro, A3 size, a manual tranny, Honda Reliability, 488 style, and room for the family. Hence the RS3.

I still don't get all this mag ride stuff. I just always leave mine (S3) in Dynamic.

I had a MK7 Golf GTI Performance for a while, and just ordered the standard fixed suspension. Not once did I feel that i needed a button to soften/harden it up.

A sporty car should be sporty as soon as you get in. Not fannying about with buttons to make it sporty.

I get what you're saying wab172uk but for a lot of people cars like the RS3 have to have a wide range of skills, from ferrying the family around, taking rubbish to the tip or carrying flat pack furniture to being a hoot to thrash down some B roads. That's where the mag ride comes in.

I didn't have it on my Golf R but that was on the 18" wheels. I could probably live with an RS3 permanently in Dynamic mode but it's nice to have everything turned down now and again.

So I take it the car comes with RS suspension as standard and you can't adjust this to comfort to soften the suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Radman
Yeah on bumpy uneven roads it's good to de-select dynamic as the car is too jittery otherwise.

Also for speed bumps etc.

That's where the individual mode is cool too setting up for personal circumstances & driving conditions.

The mag ride in comfort day to day is supple but still pretty firm. I still have to slow down to very low speed for speed bumps on my estate though - in dynamic I'm at a crawl !!!

Dynamic comes into its own when you are on a nice flat country roads & wanna take some corners with speed :)

So I take it the car comes with RS suspension as standard and you can't adjust this to comfort to soften the suspension?

Zero adjustment with standard suspension - you get what you got & that's it.

If you want the LOUD exhaust, you could only get it combined with mag ride on the pre-fl ... I'm sure that will be the same for the fl ... so a £2k option for 'dynamic package'

In my eyes the mag ride is a must. Great for softening it down on crappy roads

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
So dynamic package includes sports exhaust & mag ride??

Our packaging is different in Canada. The base RS3 includes the Mag Suspension, as well as B&O, virtual dash, and most of the other S3 options. I went with the extra cost options of the Sport Exhaust and the Fixed Sport Suspension, I did not select the Ceramic brakes. The Sport Suspension also includes a carbon fibre engine cover and a revised 280km/h limit.

The base car includes the Manual Sport Seats, with the electric seats a $0 option.

Ok cheers. Surely the mag ride includes the RS fixed sport suspension as one of the suspension settings in the menu?

Magnetic ride is completely different suspension to the standard RS suspension.

I'm sure someone will come along with some pretty pictures & words to describe it in detail.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'm old and feel the Mag setup in my S3 was tuned by a committee. It's brilliant tech, it's probably perfect for 80% of the target audience, and now let's see what the fixed suspension is tuned.

As I understand the underlying technology - the shocks are stiffened or softened by electrical magic. The springs are the same, and likely softer springs than the Sport setup to accommodate the wider range of shock settings.

We pay $1,750 CDA more for the Sport suspension than the base Mag ride. I've no idea if the 2018 Sport suspension is the same as your 2017 standard suspension.

Do I get this right?

On the RS3 pre Facelift there were 2 options: standard suspension and MagneRide
The facelifted Model will have 3?: standard -> MagneRide -> Sport Suspension?

I'm using MagneRide mostly in the "auto" setting and let it do its work.
Going to upgrade it with MSS Spring Kits once available in Germany.

I asked for clarification from my dealer here in Toronto about these suspension options. Here's what I heard back.

The standard suspension with Audi magnetic ride has a 3-stage adaptive damper system, front-axle with McPerson struts, 4-link rear axle with separate spring/damper arrangement and 3-stage Audi drive select (comfort, auto, dynamic).

The optional fixed suspension (as part of the Audi Sport Package) has a dynamically tuned spring/damper combination, front axle with McPherson struts and a 4-link rear axle with separate spring/damper arrangement.

I've ordered mine (Nardo Grey) with the optional fixed suspension although I did consider the stock setup thinking that it would help with some of the torn up roads here in Toronto.

I asked for clarification from my dealer here in Toronto about these suspension options. Here's what I heard back.

The standard suspension with Audi magnetic ride has a 3-stage adaptive damper system, front-axle with McPerson struts, 4-link rear axle with separate spring/damper arrangement and 3-stage Audi drive select (comfort, auto, dynamic).

The optional fixed suspension (as part of the Audi Sport Package) has a dynamically tuned spring/damper combination, front axle with McPherson struts and a 4-link rear axle with separate spring/damper arrangement.

I've ordered mine (Nardo Grey) with the optional fixed suspension although I did consider the stock setup thinking that it would help with some of the torn up roads here in Toronto.

Never mind the dampers/shocks....Ditch the Nardo.....lol

What dealer are you planning on ordering through? I'm also in Toronto.

I've ordered mine from Pfaff Audi on Jane south of Rutherford. My RS4 was from Pfaff in Newmarket (before the Jane location opened). They've always treated me welll.

I've ordered mine from Pfaff Audi on Jane south of Rutherford. My RS4 was from Pfaff in Newmarket (before the Jane location opened). They've always treated me welll.

That's where I'm going to be ordering mine as well. Haven't been there since Scott left though.

MagneRide is standard for you guys?
In Germany we have to pay extra for the adaptive dampers and the stock suspension is the fixed one.

MagneRide is standard for you guys?
In Germany we have to pay extra for the adaptive dampers and the stock suspension is the fixed one.

Yes, the Magnetic Ride Suspension is in the standard package. The optional Audi Sport Package includes the RS fixed sport suspension, Carbon fiber engine cover and the 280km/h top speed limiter for a $1750 CAD premium.

Yes, the Magnetic Ride Suspension is in the standard package. The optional Audi Sport Package includes the RS fixed sport suspension, Carbon fiber engine cover and the 280km/h top speed limiter for a $1750 CAD premium.

Hi Ken

Going to order RS3 at Uptown Audi soon, would like to verify, if I add Audi Sport Package, can I adjust damper?

The fixed suspension in the Canadian Audi Sport Package is not adjustable. There's lots of adjustment in the car's drive select (steering. throttle, etc) but not the dampers.

Personally, I love the feel of my car. It is very tight and nimble. You definitely feel the bumps on Toronto streets but it's been fine for me.

It seems from various reports that the fixed suspension is not as firm as the mag ride in dynamic mode but for me, firmer would be too much. The fixed is firmer than the mag ride in comfort mode which for some is important.

So, it's a hard call. I'm happy that I went with fixed and wouldn't change it in hindsight but I've been during a car (RS4) with a tight suspension on these streets for 10 years.

Quite frankly, I'm glad that I don't have to worry about another thing to change while I drive. But if you want to have the option to drive the car as calmly as,possible, the mag ride is there fir you.

Hi Ken

Tks for your quick reply, I was worry that my wife gonna complain for the ride quality, is the fixed really that stiff?

One more thing about the seat, how is the RS3 seat compare to B8-S4's seat (my current ride)?

My wife thinks that the RS3 is firmer than the RS4 but part of that is because everything is tighter - more torque, grippery bakes.

She loves the new sport seats though - finds them to be very comfortable.

My wife thinks that the RS3 is firmer than the RS4 but part of that is because everything is tighter - more torque, grippery bakes.

She loves the new sport seats though - finds them to be very comfortable.

Tks for the input, I believe I will add Sport package.

For drive select is that standard on the car or you have to order Audi Sport Package to have it?

+1 on the fixed suspension as well. Here in Canada we had to pay extra for fixed over mag, and I'd pick fixed again. Just did a 'fairly' rapid 400km with my mother-in-law/wife/adult son in the car and for the first time she was fine to sleep through the twisty mountain highways without having me slow down substantially (mag in the S3 was one of those cars). The manual sport seats are also a winner. I have the Sport Exhaust, kept the RS3 in 'D' for quiet/calm, and surprised how much the car can emulates a GT. The car normally lives in 'S', so this was a bit of a change for me.

For drive select is that standard on the car or you have to order Audi Sport Package to have it?

Drive Select is not related to any optional package. It's a standard Audi feature (all models I believe) that controls various settings to provide Comfort, Automatic, Individual or Dynamic driving styles.

That’s weird. If you want to sometimes have its softer or sometimes harder depending on the roads your driving and who you have in the car then (money permitting) go for the mag ride.

Here in the UK the RS suspension is standard - I’d rather have mag ride as standard.

Reactions: Terminator x
So, went to Uptown yesterday, my sales did the search, there is Ara Blue RS3 still available in Audi Windsor, loaded with all package except "ceramic, brake", put down deposit to secure that car, then around 4:00pm yesterday got a called back from my sales saying, this car already have almost 500km on it, but Audi Windsor said because they drove this car to do the demonstration in some golf course, and asking me if i still want it.

So, I told him i gonna order new one from Germany instead, because dont know how hard that Ara Blue Rs3 been drove.

Hopefully it can arrive before end of Dec, due to my winter tire on my 12S4 is almost out, been 5 winters already.

Currently i still can't decide which colour to go with, Nardo Grey with Red Vs Ara Blue with Black.

Im afraid Ara Blue is too bright?

Below are the options:
Sport pack, Black opt, Red Cal, Technology (drive 407 daily), Black oval pipe, and Carbon inlay. and 19 blade

Current car is : Moon Light Blue

So, went to Uptown yesterday, my sales did the search, there is Ara Blue RS3 still available in Audi Windsor, loaded with all package except "ceramic, brake", put down deposit to secure that car, then around 4:00pm yesterday got a called back from my sales saying, this car already have almost 500km on it, but Audi Windsor said because they drove this car to do the demonstration in some golf course, and asking me if i still want it.

So, I told him i gonna order new one from Germany instead, because dont know how hard that Ara Blue Rs3 been drove.

Hopefully it can arrive before end of Dec, due to my winter tire on my 12S4 is almost out, been 5 winters already.

Currently i still can't decide which colour to go with, Nardo Grey with Red Vs Ara Blue with Black.

Im afraid Ara Blue is too bright?

Below are the options:
Sport pack, Black opt, Red Cal, Technology (drive 407 daily), Black oval pipe, and Carbon inlay. and 19 blade

Current car is : Moon Light Blue

Wise choice! It may very well have been driven to a Goof course by Audi, but then did 300 miles being demonstrated by customers haha.

Nardo, but don't go red... not a fan of the red myself, Lunar Silver is absolute perfection!

morning folks is there any further information for 18's on this. choice. I placed my order yesterday for an 18 with the fixed suspension and this discussion is the only outstanding point before the dealer orders my car. I will be using this car for winter mostly and tracking periodically and my other car has a ridiculously tight suspension so harshness is never a concern? I dont car about the engine cover and the 280 kph option is unlikely to matter on any track i plan to go to?