Q5 2018 Headlight Washer Cutouts But No Activation

will_0407

Reaction score
I took my 2018 Q5 into my usual indie garage for interim service last week. They pointed out on their inspection tests that the front headlight washers don't work- the bumper has cutouts for them so I assumed I had them but come to think of it, since I got the car in July 2022, I've never checked or noticed if they're working or not.

Have tried changing the relevant fuse, activating the windscreen washer several times with headlights on/off, but nothing happens. Now having googled a fair bit, it seems that these aren't included as standard, weren't available as an option and only included with the matrix headlights even though all bumpers have the cutouts? Is anyone able to confirm this? I'm going to open the bonnet tomorrow and try and have a look to see if I can spot anything behind the covers but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Don't really want the hassle of taking it onto a garage if they're not there in the first place!

What type of lights do you have?
As far as I know, unless it's standard halogen yellow type lighting, the washers would be a requirement.

Easiest thing would be is pop them out. I used one of those suction cups you get ...like the phone holder ones for the windscreen but smaller.

Be strange to have cutouts but not the actual washers but who knows. I had a 2017 but had matrix and so I know theeahers existed.

Also they don't always pop out to wash....it's once every X amount of times of pulling the windscreen washer stalk in

Thanks for the reply. I'll try again tomorrow then. I've got the S-Line which has LED's as standard.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try again tomorrow then. I've got the S-Line which has LED's as standard.
100% Two versions of the bumper - one with and one without cutouts - so yours should be working. First spray should always activate them. Do they definitely not open (and then maybe not manage to spray)?

100% Two versions of the bumper - one with and one without cutouts - so yours should be working. First spray should always activate them. Do they definitely not open (and then maybe not manage to spray)?
Ill update later. The pdf a member on here kindly sent me for my car which decrypts all the 3 digit options says no headlamp washers….

Attachments

• BA23D09C-9A8B-4EF0-8C23-3DAF43E61FDB.jpeg
    BA23D09C-9A8B-4EF0-8C23-3DAF43E61FDB.jpeg
    985.2 KB · Views: 63
Ill update later. The pdf a member on here kindly sent me for my car which decrypts all the 3 digit options says no headlamp washers….
If you want to PM your VIN I can also check against the database for parts that come up against your car.

Just pull the washer caps outwards, you'll know then.

Just pull the washer caps outwards, you'll know then.
Thanks, but I've had two members check parts using my VIN and both have come back with that option greyed out, so rather than risk doing any damage, I think I'm just going to leave it be.

They flip forward mate, you won't damage anything.

If they won't move then someone has fitted another bumper imho & bonded them shut.

However, I've seen headlight washers on halogens.

Seems after I checked that model - only has one part number for the bumper and the headlight washer system comes up as not available for that VIN. Strange, yes but just how this one seems to be.