2018 FL Sport Cat / Downpipe (pre-opf)

Ralston88

Reaction score
Hi,

Been reading the other topics and it's clear that the BCS Powevalve Downpipe is the way to go, the question is whether to fit a cat or not. I've had modified cars for many years, with decats and I am not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of MOTs going forward. I am trying to create a sound that is more similar to the PFL but I don't want artificial pops and bangs. If a custom exhuast is declared on insurance (Admiral) is a decat legal?

The car has the sport exhaust, worth changing the secondary decats too? Looked into PCW exhaust mod on the backbox, but it's a daily car and I really want to avoid motorway drone - happy for noise the rest of time, any pointers?

The plan will be to do this and intake & intercooler at the sametime due to the mapping requirements. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Simple answer, decat is never legal. Why not go for a scorpion one, best of both worlds as you can swap out for decat and cat if you ever needed one.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agreed, purely that from reading other topics the BCS is a better product so if I am going to go down that route I'd rather use BCS and support a smaller business who appear to make an excellent products! Would love to know long termer reviews from others

Never heard of BCS but guessing the quality of the cat must be better than the scorpion one for it to be that price, similar to milltek.

The other option is to get a custom fabricated one. I've had a price for custom downpipe with a sports cat and it was £540. The cat would also vband in so could be replaced without needing to replace the whole thing, the cat was a magnaflow one too so not the cheap ebay ones from China.

I would 100% recommend going for a catted downpipe, legal reasons aside it will also help reduce wastegate rattle, depending on which calibrator you use it may be a non issue anyway. BCS is a good option. the Unitronic downpipe has the best cat you will find imo and will have the most effective in terms of wastegate rattle. it is also an extremely well built and thoughtout part.

I would 100% recommend going for a catted downpipe, legal reasons aside it will also help reduce wastegate rattle, depending on which calibrator you use it may be a non issue anyway. BCS is a good option. the Unitronic downpipe has the best cat you will find imo and will have the most effective in terms of wastegate rattle. it is also an extremely well built and thoughtout part.
Thanks! Not heard of Unitronic before so will do some research on them. Without opening up the whole discussion, MRC appear to be a named favourite in the mapping game, although I am not after peak numbers, just driveability and reliability - what is the best option for this? Out of interest what have you done to your car / how does it sound? This is joint with the misses, so although I want some more noise, I still need to retain the valved / non-droney option.

Thanks! Not heard of Unitronic before so will do some research on them. Without opening up the whole discussion, MRC appear to be a named favourite in the mapping game, although I am not after peak numbers, just driveability and reliability - what is the best option for this? Out of interest what have you done to your car / how does it sound? This is joint with the misses, so although I want some more noise, I still need to retain the valved / non-droney option.
Unitronic are massive, US company I think, so are very popular in the states, not so much over here. They're all Unitronic or Apr over there.

I was considering stage 2 to get some more noise but I'm now going Revo Stage 1. The exhaust valves are permanently open in Dynamic, rather than just coming in at 4k. When the gearbox is in sport they've also now added overrun. This was exactly what I needed and is saving all the extra expense (at the minute) of stage 2. General consensus is even at stage 1, never mind getting a catted downpipe (stage 1+) that you should get an uprated intercooler too.

As you say general opinion is MRC and it sounds like you'll probably not be disappointed but if you're after smoothness and driveability then I'd suggest Revo. This is all just what I've read mind you, will report back Saturday when I've had the map!

TVS stage 2 + seems to be the number 1 choice for a gearbox map too for both driveability and more performance from the box.

Unitronic are massive, US company I think, so are very popular in the states, not so much over here. They're all Unitronic or Apr over there.

I was considering stage 2 to get some more noise but I'm now going Revo Stage 1. The exhaust valves are permanently open in Dynamic, rather than just coming in at 4k. When the gearbox is in sport they've also now added overrun. This was exactly what I needed and is saving all the extra expense (at the minute) of stage 2. General consensus is even at stage 1, never mind getting a catted downpipe (stage 1+) that you should get an uprated intercooler too.

As you say general opinion is MRC and it sounds like you'll probably not be disappointed but if you're after smoothness and driveability then I'd suggest Revo. This is all just what I've read mind you, will report back Saturday when I've had the map!

TVS stage 2 + seems to be the number 1 choice for a gearbox map too for both driveability and more performance from the box.

Thank you mate, this is really helpful. The noise is certainly a big thing with the valves on the FL models - I was looking at getting the APR to control these seperately so I could still choose the noise in comfort for B road driving etc. Very keen to find out how you get on with Revo, do you know how offensive the overrun is? I really do not want a 'gun' exhaust or even something that sounds like it has an artificial overrun built in - ideally would like it to sound as natural as possible!

Agreed on the TVS Stage 2, that's the direction I will be heading in. What intercooler are you running?

Thank you mate, this is really helpful. The noise is certainly a big thing with the valves on the FL models - I was looking at getting the APR to control these seperately so I could still choose the noise in comfort for B road driving etc. Very keen to find out how you get on with Revo, do you know how offensive the overrun is? I really do not want a 'gun' exhaust or even something that sounds like it has an artificial overrun built in - ideally would like it to sound as natural as possible!

Agreed on the TVS Stage 2, that's the direction I will be heading in. What intercooler are you running?
Assume you've got mag ride and are talking about suspension setup for the b roads? If so, even if not, just configure and use the individual drive mode. That way you can setup suspension and steering or whatever in comfort and sound and engine in dynamic!

From what I've read and heard I think the overrun is just that, not asbo pops and bangs. Are you pre Opf?

@Riko0073 is OPF and has the Revo, TVS combo and speaks highly. I'm pre OPF so will report back on Saturday and even try and get some sound clips!

Also I'm not bothering with a cooler just yet as I'm only going stage 1. However probably like @Riko0073 seems to be planning I will probably end up adding all of the Revo bits on eventually!

The Revo cooler and Wagner Evo1 seem to be the only ones that don't require you to modify the stock crash bar which is a big thing for me, especially when I have my kids in the car. Wagner is a couple of hundred cheaper than the Revo though.

Reactions: Riko0073
That sounds exactly what I am after, please post some sound clips after you've had it done! Yes looking at a pre-opf 2018 model with mag ride from previous reviews I understand this is the way to go for the UK, I won't be going down coilover routes as after many a year experimenting on previous cars they never work for UK roads, only successful options I've had have been tuned dampers / spring combos from the likes of Bird and Mugen and apart from MSS springs there doesn't seem to be any good options available for RS3s, rather save the expense too!

If you could post some sound clips of a pre-opf FL that would be very helpful!

Ah not having to change the crash bar is a massive benefit! Heard you can fit the US ones so that still retain the safety features, but I would also rather do without that expense, wagner looks like the winner then for a Stage 1+ tune - I am not looking to go any further than that!

Reactions: garethdj
Also I'm not bothering with a cooler just yet as I'm only going stage 1. However probably like @Riko0073 seems to be planning I will probably end up adding all of the Revo bits on eventually!

The Revo cooler and Wagner Evo1 seem to be the only ones that don't require you to modify the stock crash bar which is a big thing for me, especially when I have my kids in the car. Wagner is a couple of hundred cheaper than the Revo though.

Haha, yep adding bit by bit! Was going intercooler next but those new REVO wheels took priority : )

That sounds exactly what I am after, please post some sound clips after you've had it done! Yes looking at a pre-opf 2018 model with mag ride from previous reviews I understand this is the way to go for the UK, I won't be going down coilover routes as after many a year experimenting on previous cars they never work for UK roads, only successful options I've had have been tuned dampers / spring combos from the likes of Bird and Mugen and apart from MSS springs there doesn't seem to be any good options available for RS3s, rather save the expense too!

If you could post some sound clips of a pre-opf FL that would be very helpful!

Ah not having to change the crash bar is a massive benefit! Heard you can fit the US ones so that still retain the safety features, but I would also rather do without that expense, wagner looks like the winner then for a Stage 1+ tune - I am not looking to go any further than that!
Sorry realised after I'd asked that your post said pre opf!

I've got mag ride as I've had adaptive dampers on my last 3 cars. Some people say it makes a difference and others don't, personally I feel it does but it's also probably placebo a little and fear of getting a car without them after I've been so used to it. My individual setup is everything in dynamic apart from suspension which is comfort.

I've opted for Eibach pro kit springs. Seem to be the next best thing to MSS which I was not going to pay the money for. Eibach make the actual springs for MSS anyway, albeit to their spec. 10mm drop all round and have read very few negative reports about ride quality on them as compared to H&R, Racingline or Eibach sportline. Mag ride recal is a must though it seems so ill be getting that done too, there's another thread on the topic active atm. They're on route so I'll be updating on that in the next few weeks too!

So Revo do offer a stage 1+ to allow you to run a downpipe without going full on stage 2. They just don't advertise it, I believe its actually the same price as the stage 2 software though at £649 plus vat. However I'm guessing to go stage 2 with them the intake and turbo elbow will be musts, so you've got the added hardware expense too.

Last edited:
Haha, yep adding bit by bit! Was going intercooler next but those new REVO wheels took priority : )
I've just gone for spacers for the time being, still need to eat through these p zeros! So will probably get new wheels when I'm due to change tyres... Could be a while!

That and the fact I've already pulled out small fortune this past month or so for the car!

From what you have said and if wanting full stage 2 I would recommend you go for a downpipe that has the cat as close to the turbo as possible, any option that is lower down like milltek, scorpion and BCS will be louder from what I have learned and experienced and stick with an unmodified standard exhaust. Then add on an intercooler of choice as mentioned revo and Wagner evo1 are a good option for avoiding crash bar mods, if you want to save a little you can also get the china copy of the wagner evo1 which is around 300 direct, or 400-450 at varying places ebay etc know of quite a few cars with them that perform well.

Along with them bits you will want a turbo elbow, Unitronic 3" is very good value and fits well, the forge is cheapest and works well but many have vibration issues through the brake pedal from the silicone contacting the brake cylinder. Other more expensive options are eventuri and revo though revo one is new and yet to prove its performance imo. Then either an intake tube and panel filter or a full intake of your choosing.

Then that leaves the tuner, MRC, REVO, Unitronic, Racingline... the list goes on, the most important thing you can look for is experience on the platform which these all have. APR is non included as they don't offer stage 2 anymore. Some like Unitronic allowing flash at home features which is handy depending on where you live.

From what you have said and if wanting full stage 2 I would recommend you go for a downpipe that has the cat as close to the turbo as possible, any option that is lower down like milltek, scorpion and BCS will be louder from what I have learned and experienced and stick with an unmodified standard exhaust. Then add on an intercooler of choice as mentioned revo and Wagner evo1 are a good option for avoiding crash bar mods, if you want to save a little you can also get the china copy of the wagner evo1 which is around 300 direct, or 400-450 at varying places ebay etc know of quite a few cars with them that perform well.

Along with them bits you will want a turbo elbow, Unitronic 3" is very good value and fits well, the forge is cheapest and works well but many have vibration issues through the brake pedal from the silicone contacting the brake cylinder. Other more expensive options are eventuri and revo though revo one is new and yet to prove its performance imo. Then either an intake tube and panel filter or a full intake of your choosing.

Then that leaves the tuner, MRC, REVO, Unitronic, Racingline... the list goes on, the most important thing you can look for is experience on the platform which these all have. APR is non included as they don't offer stage 2 anymore. Some like Unitronic allowing flash at home features which is handy depending on where you live.
Hi, thanks buddy this is exactly the advice what I am looking for! After speaking to BCS there 100 cell cat sounds like it would be great, and yes I was planning on keeping the rest of the exhaust unmodified as with the increased from from the BCS downpipe and cat I would hope it would acheive the sound I am after. It would be great to hear someone with a similar setup but I can only find decat videos and / or with modified exhausts which is not what I am after, this would keep it road legal with the standard look which is what I am after.

On the Stage 2 side of things, spoke to MRC and they recommended Forge (guessing because this is what they stock) but this has it's own crash bar rather than using the exisiting, I would rather use Audi's crash bar. Looking at the Wagner Evo1, this is a lot smaller than the Revo option in terms on volume - based on this alone would it not be best to change to Revo? Any quality concerns? I would rather buy higher quality parts that will last, previous experience on of modifying cars it usually pays off in the end to get higher quality parts that you only need to fit once. Good to hear about the Forge elbow vibrations issue, I wasn't aware of this! I wish there was a plastic version of the Eventuri, not too bothered how the engine bay looks but from what I've read their design and development seems to be one of the best, but the price is a bit of a joke! Is there much difference in noise with the intake on the RS3s? Perhaps the turbo elbow and panel filter is the way to go, can you combine these? So Unitronic elbox + Forge hard pipe to increase the airflow?

On the tuning front, MRC are relatively close for me (based in London), is there any disadvantages going with MRC over say Revo? I am not interested in peak numbers, more concerned about driveability of the car, seen a few comments about torque curves but no decisive answers. I would like to ensure it's mapped with a dyno, coming from a world of naturally aspirated cars, the same map on different cars never worked the same, but from what I understand the RS3 engine is totally different and based more on a set of rules and variables for the mapping.

Sorry realised after I'd asked that your post said pre opf!

I've got mag ride as I've had adaptive dampers on my last 3 cars. Some people say it makes a difference and others don't, personally I feel it does but it's also probably placebo a little and fear of getting a car without them after I've been so used to it. My individual setup is everything in dynamic apart from suspension which is comfort.

I've opted for Eibach pro kit springs. Seem to be the next best thing to MSS which I was not going to pay the money for. Eibach make the actual springs for MSS anyway, albeit to their spec. 10mm drop all round and have read very few negative reports about ride quality on them as compared to H&R, Racingline or Eibach sportline. Mag ride recal is a must though it seems so ill be getting that done too, there's another thread on the topic active atm. They're on route so I'll be updating on that in the next few weeks too!

So Revo do offer a stage 1+ to allow you to run a downpipe without going full on stage 2. They just don't advertise it, I believe its actually the same price as the stage 2 software though at £649 plus vat. However I'm guessing to go stage 2 with them the intake and turbo elbow will be musts, so you've got the added hardware expense too.

Thanks buddy, really interesting on springs, and funnily enough I would totally agree from modifying previous cars that the Eibach Pros are the only option for lowering springs. MSS seem to have put a lot of thought into a spring setup, however suspension requires travel in order be able to absorb bumps and thus provide grip..... something we require in the UK! So have you got a mag ride with Eibach Pros? Recommend?

Personally I am not fussed about mag or passive, but have been warned not to get passive on the RS3 as they are just too firm for UK roads, hence the requirement for mag ride to be able to run in comfort! I don't mind a firm ride, the misses does however, but more importantly I want the car to be compliant for B road driving.

Hi, thanks buddy this is exactly the advice what I am looking for! After speaking to BCS there 100 cell cat sounds like it would be great, and yes I was planning on keeping the rest of the exhaust unmodified as with the increased from from the BCS downpipe and cat I would hope it would acheive the sound I am after. It would be great to hear someone with a similar setup but I can only find decat videos and / or with modified exhausts which is not what I am after, this would keep it road legal with the standard look which is what I am after.

On the Stage 2 side of things, spoke to MRC and they recommended Forge (guessing because this is what they stock) but this has it's own crash bar rather than using the exisiting, I would rather use Audi's crash bar. Looking at the Wagner Evo1, this is a lot smaller than the Revo option in terms on volume - based on this alone would it not be best to change to Revo? Any quality concerns? I would rather buy higher quality parts that will last, previous experience on of modifying cars it usually pays off in the end to get higher quality parts that you only need to fit once. Good to hear about the Forge elbow vibrations issue, I wasn't aware of this! I wish there was a plastic version of the Eventuri, not too bothered how the engine bay looks but from what I've read their design and development seems to be one of the best, but the price is a bit of a joke! Is there much difference in noise with the intake on the RS3s? Perhaps the turbo elbow and panel filter is the way to go, can you combine these? So Unitronic elbox + Forge hard pipe to increase the airflow?

On the tuning front, MRC are relatively close for me (based in London), is there any disadvantages going with MRC over say Revo? I am not interested in peak numbers, more concerned about driveability of the car, seen a few comments about torque curves but no decisive answers. I would like to ensure it's mapped with a dyno, coming from a world of naturally aspirated cars, the same map on different cars never worked the same, but from what I understand the RS3 engine is totally different and based more on a set of rules and variables for the mapping.
I've been in a similar predicament to you but decided to go stage 1 only for the fact that revo will give me the extra noise I need without changing the cat.

General view from people is no matter what you do, Revo or mrc, you won't be disappointed but Revo is more oem+ like and MRC will get you bigger gains. I just bit the bullet and went Revo as its local and MRC is 4 hours away. I was sick of asking opinions and changing my mind (I'm sure folks were sick of me on here too).

As much as Revo is off the shelf, most places will dyno before and after to check everything over and the amount of R&D they do seems second to none, they've really taken their time to release the stage 2 software. They also have just released their stage 2 performance pack, might be worth you checking it out. They give you software, carbon intake, elbow and intercooler all in a bundle at a discount. So you'd just need to add the downpipe.

Thanks buddy, really interesting on springs, and funnily enough I would totally agree from modifying previous cars that the Eibach Pros are the only option for lowering springs. MSS seem to have put a lot of thought into a spring setup, however suspension requires travel in order be able to absorb bumps and thus provide grip..... something we require in the UK! So have you got a mag ride with Eibach Pros? Recommend?

Personally I am not fussed about mag or passive, but have been warned not to get passive on the RS3 as they are just too firm for UK roads, hence the requirement for mag ride to be able to run in comfort! I don't mind a firm ride, the misses does however, but more importantly I want the car to be compliant for B road driving.
I have mag ride and have eibach pros currently in transit to me so not fitted yet. I will report back in a week or so once fitted and then again once springs have settled and I've had an alignment done and mag ride calibration.

I'm fitting spacers too to note, 10mm eibach all round on a staggered setup.

I've been in a similar predicament to you but decided to go stage 1 only for the fact that revo will give me the extra noise I need without changing the cat.

General view from people is no matter what you do, Revo or mrc, you won't be disappointed but Revo is more oem+ like and MRC will get you bigger gains. I just bit the bullet and went Revo as its local and MRC is 4 hours away. I was sick of asking opinions and changing my mind (I'm sure folks were sick of me on here too).

As much as Revo is off the shelf, most places will dyno before and after to check everything over and the amount of R&D they do seems second to none, they've really taken their time to release the stage 2 software. They also have just released their stage 2 performance pack, might be worth you checking it out. They give you software, carbon intake, elbow and intercooler all in a bundle at a discount. So you'd just need to add the downpipe.

Thanks mate, will check out the new pack from Revo! Similarly to you, I don't want to travel miles incase I need to go back to get things amended, and MRC is relatively easy for me to get to so will probably be the best option from what I've heard - however, for driveability is the lower torque curve of Revo better?

I have mag ride and have eibach pros currently in transit to me so not fitted yet. I will report back in a week or so once fitted and then again once springs have settled and I've had an alignment done and mag ride calibration.

I'm fitting spacers too to note, 10mm eibach all round on a staggered setup.

Ah cool! Sounds like you have very similar plans to me! Please let me know how the springs are and how the map is once you've had it done!

Thanks mate, will check out the new pack from Revo! Similarly to you, I don't want to travel miles incase I need to go back to get things amended, and MRC is relatively easy for me to get to so will probably be the best option from what I've heard - however, for driveability is the lower torque curve of Revo better?
I'm told Revo is a smoother map than MRC but don't have any actual experience, at least until Saturday. Probably quite a subjective thing though. I'll let you know how I find it but might be best for others to comment on that part.

No brainer for me if you have easy access to MRC... unless you are really hammering the car all tie time and looking to do track events the Wagner evo 1 will be fine.

Reactions: Ralston88 and garethdj
No brainer for me if you have easy access to MRC... unless you are really hammering the car all tie time and looking to do track events the Wagner evo 1 will be fine.
Agreed, sound like they come fully recommended so will check them out. Yeh can won't be tracked so will look at the Evo1, thanks for your advice mate

I have BCS Powervalve exhaust on my car, mine is 2019 OPF model but they have been removed obviously.

I have the decat option, but i also have the 100 cel cat from them which i never opted to put on - They are easily swappable if you wish to go between them etc.

Probably the best sounding exhaust ive heard on these cars - Very loud, also loud wastegate, will go sports cat next time around

Last edited:
I have BCS Powervalve exhaust on my car, mine is 2019 OPF model but they have been removed obviously.

I have the decat option, but i also have the 100 cel cat from them which i never opted to put on - They are easily swappable if you wish to go between them etc.

Probably the best sounding exhaust ive heard on these cars - Very loud, also loud wastegate, will go sports cat next time around
Hi, do you have the whole exhuast system or just downpipe and cat?

Ah cool! Sounds like you have very similar plans to me! Please let me know how the springs are and how the map is once you've had it done!
Duplicate post from another thread but:

So I'm now Revo Stage 1 with a revo panel filter. First impressions... Worth every penny. No more lag and such a smooth pull. Haven't really taken it in yet but seems to come alive mid to high rpms too.

Tried a few launches and even though the box is untouched the changes just seem to merge into one long pull.

The overrun is just pure jokes too perfect from inside the car but ****** hell they're loud from outside!

10/10 Revo

Reactions: Dan_DJT