2018 A7 Gearbox tune review

h1r4

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Figured I'd give a review on the gearbox tune I have had on my brand new A7 50.tdi for the last week or so from DTUK

It has made the gearbox a lot better in terms of kick down and at roundabouts but it still feels slightly laggy. But much better than before. I'm not sure about gear shifts being quicker but it doesn't feel much different to me.

I feel that the pedal box from DTUK would aid in making this perfect. But it's quite disappointing to see how slow the gearbox is tbh.

My A4 which has the s tronic was a bit better than the A7 gearbox. I also have a 2018 cupra 290 which also as a 7speed dual clutch and the gearbox on that is amazing in every way especially on the responsiveness on kickdown and at round abouts.

Imo I'd say the Gearbox tune is worth it to some respect, but coupled with the pedal box I think it would be a winner

@ABYSS

Dual clutch will always be faster and more responsive than a slushbox no matter how good a slushbox it is. However although many people are looking at the gearbox in the Audis, I'm not so sure that it's the culprit. My current twin turbo car with ZF auto has about the same amount of lag as my previous twin-turbo car with DCT (BMW M6). So in my mind its more to do with turbo lag than anything else.

I've done the TCU tune in my car as well and now I've ran it for a while with it, I have to say that the difference it makes is marginal. I personally don't think it's worth the money.

I'm a very vocal opponent of the pedal box, I have to say but loads of people rave about it.

Reactions: h1r4
Dual clutch will always be faster and more responsive than a slushbox no matter how good a slushbox it is. However although many people are looking at the gearbox in the Audis, I'm not so sure that it's the culprit. My current twin turbo car with ZF auto has about the same amount of lag as my previous twin-turbo car with DCT (BMW M6). So in my mind its more to do with turbo lag than anything else.

I've done the TCU tune in my car as well and now I've ran it for a while with it, I have to say that the difference it makes is marginal. I personally don't think it's worth the money.

I'm a very vocal opponent of the pedal box, I have to say but loads of people rave about it.
The main problem I have is the equivalent bmw 6 series gt has the exact same ZF8 but is much better than my ZF8 in my car in terms of responsiveness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're both a diesel with a turbo. So why's it so different?

The main problem I have is the equivalent bmw 6 series gt has the exact same ZF8 but is much better than my ZF8 in my car in terms of responsiveness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're both a diesel with a turbo. So why's it so different?

The two differentiators are the gearbox software, which is unique to each marque and the engines, which are vastly different mechanically. Both of the BMW 3.0 diesels (single turbo and bi-turbo) are reknowned as being two of the best and most responsive diesels in the industry.

So you have the combination of the characteristics of the differing approaches to how each company sets up the ZF8 and the how the engines perform. Then you have the weight of the car to consider as well. It's difficult to level how each car feels squarely at the gearbox in isolation when there are so many other factors.

But remember that BMWs are fairly universally lauded as the better drivers car than their Audi equivalents for a reason. Audi and BMW employ different philosophies which will be a factor in how they choose to set their cars up.

I have a similar frustration with the laggy auto box in my brand new A7.

I know it could be a million times better, as they use the same box in the RS6 and RS7 plus in Beemers and the Volvo Polestar that I’ve just come out of.

It’s annoying that it’s just the tune that is holding it back.

I mailed Rob at JR Tuning about it a few weeks back, as he seemed to be the TCU guru on other models.
But he replied saying ‘in stock form, the gearboxes work really quite well in our experience’

Such a shame, as it ruins an otherwise superb car IMHO.

Reactions: Wippers and h1r4
Hi guys,

Figured I'd give a review on the gearbox tune I have had on my brand new A7 50.tdi for the last week or so from DTUK

It has made the gearbox a lot better in terms of kick down and at roundabouts but it still feels slightly laggy. But much better than before. I'm not sure about gear shifts being quicker but it doesn't feel much different to me.

I feel that the pedal box from DTUK would aid in making this perfect. But it's quite disappointing to see how slow the gearbox is tbh.

My A4 which has the s tronic was a bit better than the A7 gearbox. I also have a 2018 cupra 290 which also as a 7speed dual clutch and the gearbox on that is amazing in every way especially on the responsiveness on kickdown and at round abouts.

Imo I'd say the Gearbox tune is worth it to some respect, but coupled with the pedal box I think it would be a winner

@ABYSS

How do you find the overall performance compared to the 2litre tdi a4?

I want to upgrade to the a7 next and am familiar with the engine as have it in the a4 In tuned form.

Would mostly prefer if Audi made a diesel v8 like in the sq7 for the new a7 - what a car that would be..

In regards to the 6 cylinder bm diesels, they are more responsive in stock form but I still think the v6 tdi is smoother and quieter. Both have their strengths

Having the same lag issues with my new A7. You can put your foot down to pull off from a junction and nothing happens so you naturally put your foot down more and then when it kicks in you're tearing off at 100mph! Very disappointing even compared to my old 2016 A7 which was laggy but nothing like this. Hoping a software update might help - Please Audi?

How do you find the overall performance compared to the 2litre tdi a4?

I want to upgrade to the a7 next and am familiar with the engine as have it in the a4 In tuned form.

Would mostly prefer if Audi made a diesel v8 like in the sq7 for the new a7 - what a car that would be..

In regards to the 6 cylinder bm diesels, they are more responsive in stock form but I still think the v6 tdi is smoother and quieter. Both have their strengths
Masses amount of torque compared to the A4. It's like 5-8mpg less efficient on my normal commute. I do want to Get It tuned though but not yet.

Compared to my A4, the A7 gearbox feels sometimes like it waiting for a written request to take action, but you learn the quirks and counter them in driving style. It's disappointing but there are more ups and downs in the the A7.

Reactions: Eric_RS6 and Wippers