Facelift 2018 1.5 TFSI Sportback Black Edition Demo?

j0hnst0n00

Reaction score
Morning All,

Following on from the thread:

1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed?

(Thanks to everybody who contributed to the thread, there’s some good info there).

I have found this:

2018 Model Year A3 1.5 TFSI Sportback Black Edition; registered in January, so it’s little over four weeks old.

It’s an Approved Audi, so from a main dealer, and will benefit from the balance of the three year Audi warranty.

It doesn’t have any extras as far as I can tell (not yet viewed the car or spoken to the dealer) but has covered 6,000 miles in its very short life. I don’t drive too many miles so potentially its mileage would probably still be less than 10,000 miles in 12 months’ time, if I purchased.

I can only guess at the moment but think with the mileage in such a short space of time that vehicle might be a demo/staff car.

The dealer is asking £22,000. Does that seem fair?

Thanks

A fair judge of the price is workout what the car would be new then take off 20% for the vat. The car is effectively 2nd hand so doesn't attract the 20% vat added to the price of brand new cars. Depending how that figure looks you might be able to squeeze a bit more from the dealer as they struggle to hit target in Feb as everyone waits for the new plate due 1.3.18

From memory, on top of the different wheels and black styling the black edition gets heated seats and Audi sound as standard equipment so its not without options. From MY2018 rear parking sensors are also standard.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and j0hnst0n00
The heated seats (very nice....!) are not standard even on the BE, you have to go for the Comfort Pack which gives B & O stereo and a few other bits as well as the heated seats....

Reactions: j0hnst0n00
The 6000 miles is likely an estimate, they will plan to have that car for a few months and that’s the estimated mileage so it will probably only have serveral hundred on it.

The vehicle I am interested in seems to have no optional extras so on the Audi configurator is coming in at £28,630 rotr. Less 20% gives £22,904. The dealer is asking £22,000. There are other identical cars for the same price with lower mileages on the clock at other Audi dealers. Maybe there will be some room for negotiation given the 6,000 miles this has covered in one month (and the fact February is a very slow month, allegedly!).

The vehicle I am interested in seems to have no optional extras so on the Audi configurator is coming in at £28,630 rotr. Less 20% gives £22,904. The dealer is asking £22,000. There are other identical cars for the same price with lower mileages on the clock at other Audi dealers. Maybe there will be some room for negotiation given the 6,000 miles this has covered in one month (and the fact February is a very slow month, allegedly!).

Ask them what mileage is has on first..... trust me, haha.

Don’t take the advert for any truth. We went to see an Automatic A1, there were 4 of them on site... all of those cars were manual. We went to another dealer that we went to first who was embarrassed to tell us they actually had an Automatic after they told us 3 hours before they didn’t, because it was listed as a manual on their books.

I’ve just bought a management car and am informed I can’t have it until it’s 90 days old as they are not allowed to sell it before.

I’ve just bought a management car and am informed I can’t have it until it’s 90 days old as they are not allowed to sell it before.

I’ve seen this before, but I’ve also seen cars quietly disappear off of the fleet within a matter of weeks....

I’ve seen this before, but I’ve also seen cars quietly disappear off of the fleet within a matter of weeks....
I think the 90 day rule was for pre-registerd cars, NOT used on the road.
I've just looked at dealer reg cars. (courtesy/demonstrators) Loads registered 31/1/18 no doubt to make the Jan sales figures. All advertised as "available 31/5/18".
Has anyone bought one of these and got the invoice/V5C within a few weeks of registration?

I've just looked at dealer reg cars. (courtesy/demonstrators) Loads registered 31/1/18 no doubt to make the Jan sales figures. All advertised as "available 31/5/18".
Has anyone bought one of these and got the invoice/V5C within a few weeks of registration?

I’ve seen a brand new RS3 on fleet for 3 weeks and then gone, I can tell you because I saw it’s PDI test and then know when it left. Can’t say if it came with the V5 or not..

I’ve seen a brand new RS3 on fleet for 3 weeks and then gone, I can tell you because I saw it’s PDI test and then know when it left. Can’t say if it came with the V5 or not..

Probably gone to another dealership in their franchise,but demonstrators...hey if the money is there they are off..............

My guess is that the rule is imposed by the HMRC to stop dealers effectively selling a brand new car as 2nd hand. selling as 2nd hand avoids the 20% VAT payment being charged / collected from the customer and then paid on to the treasury.

My guess is that the rule is imposed by the HMRC to stop dealers effectively selling a brand new car as 2nd hand. selling as 2nd hand avoids the 20% VAT payment being charged / collected from the customer and then paid on to the treasury.
I think the 90 day rule was brought in as a way to stop manufacturers dumping excess stock. VAT must still be charged on the sales price when sold to the first private buyer. Out of interest, is VAT payable on the new or resale value of a PCP car?
Personally I don't consider ex demonstrators worth the couple of grand saving over the price you can negotiate on a new one. You are effectively buying a car that dealers are passing off as "new" when in reality it has probably had 50 or more different drivers putting it through its paces from cold, scuff repairs or worse, part worn tyres, shorter warranty, washed every other day with gritty sponges and if you have it three years it'll be three or four months older so be worth less when you come to chop it in.
Return to invoice will be the only GAP option as well.

Reactions: amb66 and j0hnst0n00
The vehicle I am interested in seems to have no optional extras so on the Audi configurator is coming in at £28,630 rotr. Less 20% gives £22,904.

I don't think £22k + 20% VAT equals to £28K

You need to divide the full new price by 1.2 to get the vat free price, so £28630 equates to £23858. If you just deduct 20% from the full price you are taking off 20% of the VAT as well. If that makes sense!

Last edited:
Ask them what mileage is has on first..... trust me, haha.

Don’t take the advert for any truth. We went to see an Automatic A1, there were 4 of them on site... all of those cars were manual. We went to another dealer that we went to first who was embarrassed to tell us they actually had an Automatic after they told us 3 hours before they didn’t, because it was listed as a manual on their books.
You're right AN!

Transpires the car is not available immediately despite it saying so on the website; it's a car owned by a lease company being used by an Audi employee. It will be available when the lease is completed; the 6,000 miles quoted is the maximum it would have on the clock when it does finally become available.

You're right AN!

Transpires the car is not available immediately despite it saying so on the website; it's a car owned by a lease company being used by an Audi employee. It will be available when the lease is completed; the 6,000 miles quoted is the maximum it would have on the clock when it does finally become available.

Will you wait for the car? I'd personally not, as the car you are waiting for is being driven around, and used as a Demo. Nothing against Demo's, and I've bough an Ex demo before, but it had already been through its demo cycle. The car was available now to buy.

I do know that if someone buys the demo car, they then limit the millage put on it, and don't then allow extended drives etc. Or at least my local dealer doesn't, when they tried to sell me an RS3 Demo they got in a couple years ago. I was the first to drive it.

You're right AN!

What’s your plans, wait it out for the car? I believe you can secure it now.