Facelift 2018 1.5 TFSI Sportback Black Edition Demo?’ Part 2

j0hnst0n00

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody who added to my earlier threads ‘1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed?’ and ‘2018 1.5 TFSI Sportback Black Edition Demo?’

Based on the info in the threads and my own test drive I have now purchased a 2017 (67) 1.5 TFSI Sportback (it’s the 150PS so has the CoD feature).

The car was purchased from a main dealer and was listed has having 6,000 miles on the clock; however it was previously leased from new by an Audi employee under a six month CBC agreement and the 6,000 was the maximum mileage it could have covered under the terms of the lease. On my collection day it had covered just 2,900 miles in its first six months.

The car is Ibis white and totally standard as far as I can tell but being a Black Edition is already well speced.

I previously owned a 2016 2.0 TDi 150 sline Sportback and the new car is the first for many years that isn’t a diesel. The engine compared to the TDi is a revelation; it’s very early days yet obviously, but it’s very responsive and very quiet while being reasonably economic (we drove about 275 miles to Plymouth last weekend and it retuned about 45mpg (my calculations, not from the DIS). I made great use of the cruise-control (quite a luxury on a car for me).

The Cylinder on Demand is useful to have; it promotes very ‘careful’ driving before it comes into operation; I’m also enjoying the Audi Connect features (first time for me) and the larger display on the MMI.

I part-exchanged the TDi against the TFSI. I came away from the dealer thinking I had good deal negotiating the ‘cost to change’ close to my budget and also managed to negotiate the car’s first service into the deal.

So thanks everyone for your input. I know there have a few recent threads about the 1.5TFSI but if anyone has any further questions ask away and I will try to help.

Reactions: KenL, Jassyo06, oli356 and 1 other person
Sounds like a good result, lets see some pictures

Both engines are 150PS but im interested how does the power delivery compare between the two? The 1.5 is the first mass produced engine to have a variable geometry turbine turbocharger which is supposed to give a smoother power delivery.

Reactions: j0hnst0n00
Good decision to move away from diesel.

Reactions: Carefree69 and j0hnst0n00
Sounds like a cracking car to me...........:friendly wink:

Both engines are 150PS but im interested how does the power delivery compare between the two?
I drove a 2.0 TDI 150 STronic for a couple of months and found it frustrating and not suited to spirited driving.
The only time I've really compared engines back to back was a 2.0 TDI 150 diesel golf against a 1.4 TSI 122 petrol. The petrol felt livelier and was a much better drive.

Reactions: j0hnst0n00 and Chris43

Both engines are 150PS but im interested how does the power delivery compare between the two? The 1.5 is the first mass produced engine to have a variable geometry turbine turbocharger which is supposed to give a smoother power delivery.

Here are a few photos taken on Collection Day.
P1140001
P1130999
P1130998
P1130996

As far as the engines are concerned I would say the TFSI is far more responsive and accelerates much quicker and seems smoother through the gears. It seems like a crackin’ engine. The cabin noise seems less than in the TDi but of course it’s less economical in the mpg department; I’m hoping that might improve as the engine ‘loosens up’.

Reactions: Jcbmally, KenL, PhilsA3 and 2 others
Good choice mate, I was a diesel owner for 15 years before going for a petrol again, best decision I’ve made in a long time.

Diesel ownership will get harder and harder as time goes on, best to get out now.

Reactions: KenL and j0hnst0n00
Good choice mate, I was a diesel owner for 15 years before going for a petrol again, best decision I’ve made in a long time.

Diesel ownership will get harder and harder as time goes on, best to get out now.
the increasing talk around diesels is starting to get me worried about our Defender which me and my dad agreed to keep running till the end of time :sadlike:

Reactions: j0hnst0n00 and Jassyo06
Mate I’m probably guilty of falling for the bullish!t but all I keep hearing is how the government are cracking down on diesel cars etc. There’ll come a time in the near future when diesel cars will be charged for going into cities (London being one).

Typical lying politician’s, telling us all years ago to buy a diesel car.

Do you feel duped? I do.

Corrupt lying f#ckwits.

Reactions: j0hnst0n00 and Matchman54
As far as the engines are concerned I would say the TFSI is far more responsive and accelerates much quicker and seems smoother through the gears. It seems like a crackin’ engine. The cabin noise seems less than in the TDi but of course it’s less economical in the mpg department; I’m hoping that might improve as the engine ‘loosens up’.

I find the 1.5 will easily do over 50mpg on a decent run however on short journies the MPG is lousy. BTW, Ibis white with black edition looks really good.

I find the 1.5 will easily do over 50mpg on a decent run however on short journies the MPG is lousy. BTW, Ibis white with black edition looks really good.
agree entirely about the mpg (for my 1.4) - same for me!

Here are a few photos taken on Collection Day.View attachment 152176View attachment 152177View attachment 152178View attachment 152179

Nice car mate, looks great. I notice you've got the s line suspension like me. How are you finding it? I'm a big fan and gutted that its no longer an option.

Nice car mate, looks great. I notice you've got the s line suspension like me. How are you finding it? I'm a big fan and gutted that its no longer an option.

Thanks!

Previously owned a 2012 8V Black Edition which also had ‘sports suspension’; on the new car it is firm but seems slightly more forgiving (sure I’m running with similar tyre pressures in both).

The 2012 BE car was special paint order, specified by the previous owner (a beautiful pearlescent Pacifica blue) but I think the BE in white looks better; it highlights the exterior styling to a greater extent.

My story is similar, sold my 20TDI Sportback S-Line and have bought 1.5TFSI Blackedition S-Tronic in nano grey with Pano roof and comfort pack. Didn’t really need a diesel anymore as my annual mileage has dropped to about 8k, so decided to go back to petrol. You’ve answered many of queries I had so thanks, can’t wait to get the car should be here early May.

My story is similar, sold my 20TDI Sportback S-Line and have bought 1.5TFSI Blackedition S-Tronic in nano grey with Pano roof and comfort pack. Didn’t really need a diesel anymore as my annual mileage has dropped to about 8k, so decided to go back to petrol. You’ve answered many of queries I had so thanks, can’t wait to get the car should be here early May.

Hope you enjoy the new car!

We’ve owned our car now for just over four weeks and in that time covered about 1,075 miles (it only had about 2,900 on the clock when we bought at six months old).

Ironically, having part-exchanged our 2.0 TDi we have just driven our two longest journeys of the year: a 550 mile round trip to Plymouth and a 270 round trip to the Lake District. From my own figures, and ignoring the DIS, I reckon we are getting just over 44 miles to the gallon (over all journeys since we bought it). I can see that decreasing a bit given that most of our journeys are relatively short, although against that it might improve as the engine ‘loosens up’ and weather starts to get a bit warmer.

I find it a far better drive than the TDi and am so far very happy with it.

Reactions: markwiggy
Hope you enjoy the new car!

We’ve owned our car now for just over four weeks and in that time covered about 1,075 miles (it only had about 2,900 on the clock when we bought at six months old).

Ironically, having part-exchanged our 2.0 TDi we have just driven our two longest journeys of the year: a 550 mile round trip to Plymouth and a 270 round trip to the Lake District. From my own figures, and ignoring the DIS, I reckon we are getting just over 44 miles to the gallon (over all journeys since we bought it). I can see that decreasing a bit given that most of our journeys are relatively short, although against that it might improve as the engine ‘loosens up’ and weather starts to get a bit warmer.

I find it a far better drive than the TDi and am so far very happy with it.

Thanks, and for the update. Car should be arriving 9th May and I’m told it’s done 3k so happy and looking forward to delivery.